QUESTION on pathing

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Cleaburn
Reactions:

QUESTION on pathing

Post by Cleaburn »

fIRST i HAVE BEEN GONE AWHILE AND NOw have returned and the game has improved but the lines still criss cross to much will this ever be corrected or at least not as noticeable it is my only gripe with this game........ It is the best game out there for the war between the states ... well its 99 in my book I hope this will one day be fixed somehow. Cleaburn C.s.a
Chromey
Reactions:

Re: QUESTION on pathing

Post by Chromey »

Even tho the pathfinding is horrible.. It makes me laugh because ... because it brings a sort of realism ..

to the game where.. Infantry officers swerve thier men around bad patches of land to keep thier commands

from getting torn up by the terrain ? :woohoo:
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Cleaburn
Reactions:

Post by Cleaburn »

I guess by the above topic this is just the way it is and will remain thanks for info.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

The largest problem with regards to pathing is the player bunching his units to closely together. They then spend a lot of time and energy trying to untangle themselves from other friendly units. If you put a brigade in single line formation, you'll see how much space a brigade needs for movement and maneuver. Using that amount of space greatly reduces the whirling and swirling that is so common.

The AI is also guilty of this behavior, but not nearly to the extent of player induced entanglement. The AI would be tremendously aided if the units did not try to maneuver in line formation. Line formation was used for advancing forward towards the enemy, not moving left, right, turning at right angles, etc. For maneuver, they should form in column of division. The root of the problem is the AI automatically calls for line formation whenever a unit is within 1.5 times the engagement range to the enemy. It does not take into account what the unit is trying to do. Revisiting that design decision would do wonders.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Michigander
Reactions:

Post by Michigander »

I do get problems with units in line advancing straight forwards. I want to bring them in range of the enemy and they seem to need to hit certain waypoints way off the course of the straight line I want.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I do get problems with units in line advancing straight forwards. I want to bring them in range of the enemy and they seem to need to hit certain waypoints way off the course of the straight line I want.
If the regiments are not on a road, the road icon will be hi-lighted, if you click the road-icon it will sometimes cause the units to walk straight.

If you click it and the road-icon continues to stay hi-lighted it means that there is something is blocking their path.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Please Delete - Double Post!

Thanks

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Chromey
Reactions:

Post by Chromey »

can vouch that units hate marching thru each other! Unless its to charge or retreat ! :whistle:
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

If the regiments are not on a road, the road icon will be hi-lighted, if you click the road-icon it will sometimes cause the units to walk straight.

If you click it and the road-icon continues to stay hi-lighted it means that there is something is blocking their path.

davinci
Doesn't a hi-lighted road icon mean you have given the unit orders to use roads? Surely clicking the road icon like this is going to send your units veering off towards the nearest road, or else what is the 'use roads' button for?

It seems highly dangerous to use that in among a bunch of regiments deployed for battle!
Last edited by Saddletank on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.