Looking for some feedback

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Looking for some feedback

Post by Saddletank »

Scott, that's a really smooth animation. I like it a lot.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Scott
Reactions:

Post by Scott »

Scott, that's a really smooth animation. I like it a lot.
Glad you like it :) I think that flag in particular looks totally awesome in game.

I tried my hand at some serious battle damage and weathering tonight. Here is the result of my first attempt at a weathered , and seriously battle damaged, flag :lol:

It could maybe use a bit more weathering ....some lighter browns and burns around the edges I think :)
Last edited by Scott on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Very nice! Personally I've stayed away from the war torn look because it identifies the flag specifically. Having the same ragged look, bullet hole or blemish in several flags just doesn't look right to me, and definitely messes with my immersion because I tend to fixate on such trivia. :blink:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I probably wouldn't mind a few rips in the flag, but that last picture is a bit-too-much!

But, your flags are very detailed, great job!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Scott
Reactions:

Post by Scott »

Randy,

Using the hi-def sheets like you did, is it pretty limiting on the number of simultaneous flags that can be used at one time ? Now that I have tried the 32 bit, I don't want to go back to an 8 bit format hehehe. I guess the "pro" is that with an 8 bit format I could do a bunch more different flags simultaneously, but, that 32 bit format is truly the way to go for quality and detail.

The battle damaged flag is really just a test. If I do include battle damage options, I will be toning them way down. That one is really just an extreme example to experiment :) and thanks Davinci for the kind words :)
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Your flags are excellent! I'd suggest you desaturate the colors a bit. Industrial dyes weren't invented until after the war. Colors were still plant based.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Scott
Reactions:

Post by Scott »

Your flags are excellent! I'd suggest you desaturate the colors a bit. Industrial dyes weren't invented until after the war. Colors were still plant based.

Thanks ! I agree with you, and I have already toned them down a lot. The coloration I have settled on is more like what you see in the third from right in the first post, and the coloring on the torn damaged flag.
However, from what I have seen in the museums, they had a very deep rich blue color on many, but I still have toned them down a great amount to help mesh better with the other graphics in game :) I think you will like them :) I am debating now whether to reduce the quality (and file size) in exchange for a greater variety of flags, with more weathering variety and more variety in minor damage. A tough call, because i really like the quality, but at the same time would like to have more variety and variation.