Bugles & Flags XIX

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Col_McBroom
Reactions:

Re: Bugles and Flags XI

Post by Col_McBroom »

My compliments to the original coders and modders*, this project has proven for me that an open-source community can produce better stuff than the big guys.

The preview images and videos of this latest Bugles and Flags mod makes me want to try installing it. Unfortunately, I have not been able to download an un-corrupted rawr archive--has anyone else had this kind of difficulty? The error message in the WinRAR Diagnostic messages dialog box when I get when I try to un...rar? it is:

"(path)\Desktop\Bugles_and_Flags_XI.7z: The archive is corrupt"

I've tried 3 times, same results--anyone know a way around this?

Thank you,

Col. McBroom
Fort Worth, Texas

In the meantime, I'll go back to shooting my own ancestors on South Mountain :pinch:

*(say, that reminds me of a river that also features guys with beards...)
Researching corn liquids chemistry since 1855
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Col, Sir

Don't you need WINZip or 7ZIP to expand this file.

I don't think WIN RAR will recognise the file type ?

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I didn't want to upset you RB and I said that clearly, nor did I imply you were doing anything like "hiding behind your designs and denying other modders work" whatever that means. I am not understanding that at all. Despite my best intentions I have upset you, clearly and that is a pity. To me Gunships art is superior, your anmimations seem jerky and flow less smoothly.

The problem with two very different approaches to the same issue is that we all play the same game and if two approaches are so radically different and do not look well together, the end user cannot use them both in his install, so by being radically different you're limiting user numbers. If everyone stuck to a similar animation style, everyone wins as everyone can use all the mods in the same game without them jarring one against another

This is criticism, yes, but I hope you find all users feedback useful, good or bad. I do not intend mine to be bad, it is just a viewpoint.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

I didn't want to upset you RB and I said that clearly, nor did I imply you were doing anything like "hiding behind your designs and denying other modders work" whatever that means. I am not understanding that at all. Despite my best intentions I have upset you, clearly and that is a pity. To me Gunships art is superior, your anmimations seem jerky and flow less smoothly.

The problem with two very different approaches to the same issue is that we all play the same game and if two approaches are so radically different and do not look well together, the end user cannot use them both in his install, so by being radically different you're limiting user numbers. If everyone stuck to a similar animation style, everyone wins as everyone can use all the mods in the same game without them jarring one against another

This is criticism, yes, but I hope you find all users feedback useful, good or bad. I do not intend mine to be bad, it is just a viewpoint.
"hiding behind your designs and denying other modders work" whatever that means
It means I check out every new flag design that comes along...that's for sure one way I learn and especially to pick up ideas.

Not upset, but concerned because although I know it's impossible, I still want to please everyone with my design efforts.

I might compromise and offer up some static, no swing designs (later, in the Nap section). No promises, for I'll still maintain the Swing style as my mainframe unless overall feedback eventually sways my thinking, and approach. We'll discuss it in the 'additional flags' thread, since we're talking Nap mods here.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Col_McBroom
Reactions:

Post by Col_McBroom »

Hmm, OK...I see, a 7z file.

7zip says:
"0 Error: Bugles_and_Flags_XI.7z is not supported archive [sic]"

WinZip says:
"Cannot open file 'Bugles_and_Flags_XI.7z'.
It does not appear to be a valid archive.

If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again."

WinRAR claims it can handle 7z files, so maybe it was right in the first place?

Eh, after getting the same results after downloading it 3 times, I wonder if there's a mirror directory from whence I could try a different copy?

Yr. most ob'd't. svt.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Welcome Col_McBroom

I don't recall anyone having trouble unzipping this file. As you can see by the posts this mod is popular and used by many folks. I would say a corrupt download but since you tried 3 times, 3 downloads, I'm at a loss to what the unzipping issue would be. I'll download and check, maybe it's a recent corruption on the server level. Thanks for the report.

Edit: I had issues with the download and will have to check things out, so try version 10 pease:

Bugles and Flags v10

Version XII will be coming out shortly, so I'll probably not mess much with getting XI up to snuff, but still I need to discover the cause of that error. Thanks for your patience...
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col_McBroom
Reactions:

Post by Col_McBroom »

Worked OK! Haven't looked at it in-game, but no problem with the download or opening the archive using WinRAR. Thank you kindly for attending to this n00b's difficulty.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Bugles and Flags XII

Post by RebBugler »

Version XII Update...see first post

In addition to the Wisconsin flag already discussed, other new flags include the following...

The attachment Illinois_Pennsylvania_Ohio_Minnesota.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Illinois_Pennsylvania_Ohio_Minnesota.jpg
Illinois_Pennsylvania_Ohio_Minnesota.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 226 times
Keat
Reactions:

Post by Keat »

Amazing update, the new Gettysburg scenario was one of the best experiences i've had so far in SoW :cheer:
Really looking forward to the rest
Zeke
Reactions:

Post by Zeke »

Wow this is a great mod and the toolbar works a treat with the Brandy station add on :)
Last edited by Zeke on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I only know two tunes...One's "Yankee Doodle" and the other one isn't!

Ulysses S. Grant