Hooker is a little concerned..

Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Hooker is a little concerned..

Post by Little Powell »

It's amazing how detailed Wilbourn's account of Jackson's wounding is. I highly recommend reading it if you have a few minutes to spare. One thing I found interesting is that he was trying to get Jackson some whiskey, and none was to be found. He even went to a Union field hospital to ask for some:

"After this he asked several times for spirits, which it was very difficult to get. He was much in need of a stimulant at this time as he was losing blood very fast. I went to a Yankee hospital near by and tried to get some spirits for him from their surgeons, but they had none"

It's interesting how a Rebel staff officer can just walk right up to a Union hospital and not be captured. I guess during lulls in the fighting, things like that took place all of the time.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Maybe the Rebel staff officer had some of that southern tobacco with him and traded it in order for him to get to the field hospital.....

;)

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

No no! It was just discovered, the moon was to blame!

"The bright moon would've silhouetted Jackson and his officers, completely obscuring their identities."

Friggin moon!

Article
Last edited by Baldwin on Fri May 03, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Nice link Baldwin !

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today