corp commands

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
jb hood
Reactions:

corp commands

Post by jb hood »

i am really looking forward to gettysburg
a few questions:

1) in tc2m the corps commands structure was limited playing as an army general. will there be more options (orders)?

open play

2) will there be more (brigade)skirmishing (especially the AI)?

3) will the AI be smarter in positioning and combined movement(defending or attacking way point)?

thank you and i congratulate to your new project
Last edited by jb hood on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“They are lying on the field where you sent them.”
Jim
Reactions:

Re:corp commands

Post by Jim »

(1) There will be some additional commands and features available to the corps commander in single play mode. In multiplayer, you can give any order you want, although I expect that the people playing as division commanders will be no more or less creative than the historical generals in how they (mis)interpret orders from the corps commander.

(2) The brigade can deploy one regiment as skirmishers who will maneuver with the brigade.

(3) Yes.

Thanks.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Jim Wrote: (3) Yes.
By smarter lets hope that means less suicidal!
jb hood
Reactions:

Post by jb hood »

very important (my opinion) is combined movement and that the ai recognizes the terrain on a wider scale (i know thats not easly to do).

in tc2m open play it´s nearly impossible to loose an engagement. it´s very easy to cut off whole divisions or corps and slaughter them. they are coming wave after wave.

on maps with wood density or mountains (chickamauga, etc.) you have to engage the enemy and have only to wait till the enemy tries to flank marching through woods or mountains not on the road. after they passed the wood the troops are tired and routing isn´t very hard.

well, should be no problem against a human player (if the player knows about the rules of tactics and terrain), but it´s hard for the ai to deal with this factors.

skirmishing (my opinion) is a key for real combat. videttes or skirmishers are a must, cause no fight (especially with fow) started in line formations. normal it´s no good idea to walk a brigade through woods (or corn) without skirmishers without suffering many casualties (remember first attack on sunken road at antietam).
Last edited by jb hood on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

jb Hood Wrote:in tc2m open play it´s nearly impossible to loose an engagement. it´s very easy to cut off whole divisions or corps and slaughter them. they are coming wave after wave.
The only time i'll occassionally lose an OP battle is when i play a Corps. Commander in a large battle. I do OK initially until the other Corps. Commander(s) attacks in AI suicidal waves of which i have no control over. His forces eventually are decimated offering no support for my Divisions. Then all of a sudden its my Corp. against the entire enemy army.:huh:
jb hood
Reactions:

Post by jb hood »

will firing volleys be possible?
Last edited by jb hood on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

We have a significant block of development time set aside for working to improve the AI. As we all have noted, while the AI is the best currently available, it does do some things that are not smart. I am sure that it will be notably better, but it probably still have some issues. Of course human generals had good and bad days as well.

Volley fire is not in at this time.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Jim, thats good to hear as far as fellow commanders not under the player's control. However for the Division commanders under the player's control, will HOLD actually and really mean HOLD or will they disobey and wrecklessly go suicidal anyhow?
As we all have noted, while the AI is the best currently available,

By the way i agree, regardless of all the beach'n moan'n, TC2M has got the best AI out there! ;)
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

ironsight wrote:

By the way i agree, regardless of all the beach'n moan'n, TC2M has got the best AI out there! ;)
You damn skippy!

For the moment...........;)
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

JC Wrote:You damn skippy!
skippy?... What'n the hell does that mean? H'mm skippy#2? :laugh: