Review of Chancellorsville

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
Jim
Reactions:

Review of Chancellorsville

Post by Jim »

A review of Chancellorsville was recently posted on the German wargaming site 7ID Gaming.

Full Review in German

Here is what Google Translate makes of the original text:

After Tribune recently that less than two years old, "Scourge of War - Gettysburg" was subjected to a test, I use once the appearance of the brand new and now the third add-on "Chancellorsville" to furnish a further review. The Battle of Chancellorsville took place from 1 to 4 May 1863 in the area between the farm about 16 kilometers west of Chancellorsville, and in the small town of Fredericksburg, Virginia held during the American Civil War.
She was also named Lee's perfect battle, because of his risky but successful division of the Army of Northern Virginia under the eyes of more than twice as strong Army of the Potomac under Major General "Fighting Joe" Hooker. The battle was marked by Lee's audacity and Hooker's timidity. Both together resulted in an overwhelming victory for the Confederates. The victory was only by the mortal wounding of Lt. Gen. Jackson's tarnished (Source Wikipedia: Battle of Chancellorsville).

History Historians are now almost unanimous in their opinion, would be that without the death of Confederate General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, the subsequent battle of Gettysburg thus found not happen or at least not been as disastrous for the southern states. Accordingly, in the new add-on, the use of Jackson's corps at the center.

First of all I can see in a moment that it is "SoW - Chancellorsville" is a stand-alone expansion. So you need not be the first work of "Gettysburg" to play the expansion. A good opportunity to take a look for relatively little money in the series. Unless one Gettysburg already on the hard drive, has the add-on installed in the existing game file, and can be launched from the Gettysburg scenario selection. I was a little disappointed when I had to find it for "Chancellorsville" battles are no smart card scenarios as for "Gettysburg". The various scenarios of the add-ons are available only as a despicable collection. At Gettysburg had always the incentive to improve their best score of the individual battles yet, as this was shown under the flag of the two warring parties on the campaign map. When this add-on has been saved. Too bad.

Besides the very comprehensive tutorials, a total of 20 scenarios (Ten each of the Union and the Confederacy). Available, each covering some aspects of the battle Smaller battles are fought between brigades, which can include up to five regiments. Such a scenario usually has a time limit of 45 to 60 minutes (real time). Comprehensive it is, if the player has to lead a division. Then it may already be time 20 units that must be controlled. The heart of the add-ons are the battles to corps level, requiring a lot of game experience, and include a time of two hours. The several divisions command on gigantic maps of up to ten square kilometers, requires quite a bit of routine, you do not completely lose track (picture below: bayonet attack of a Confederate regiment).

The controller has not been changed since the first title. It is functional but certainly not a highlight of the strategy game genre. What I can not understand is why during pausing can not order. Especially at corps level this would be a desirable feature. Unless you decide to move to control every single regiment itself, takes on the fine work of the respective brigade commander. Here to help seven basic commands such as offensive behavior or hold at any cost. Although this works quite well, but you are tearing your hair a few times in the light of the instructions to issue the men subordinates Sun Steady intervene in the order of battle is necessary. Basically the regiments swing for my taste also around a little too much. Here, the developer should make the next release a little rework (picture below:.. Imagine the Yanks to fight some quick draw guns in position ideal shooting position).

The graphics have improved only slightly. All in all it's been consistent and ok. The noise carries well to the atmosphere. A little thing bothers me though. I would like it better if the first one or two rounds of a regiment would just shoot them as such. The fire animation will always look after "firing without orders" from. Yes, me pedantic (Photo below: The first Yankies their heels, as Robert E. Rodes Division breaks through the forest) is called.

The battle, however, representations looking peers. Sure, "Empire Total War" looks may somewhat fancier, but only Scourge of War makes the hearts of true Schreibtischgeneräle higher. Especially since it has also really time to maneuver and fire exchange does not end even after half a minute. But even the time limit of one or two hours leaves little time for a breather. The lack of function, even with a play break to give commands acts here of course not gentle on the nerves.

But sometimes you just can not help but personally a battery 12 pounder to 200 yards drive up close to the enemy lines and then shoot with Kart grayling holes in the enemy ranks. This is really not a common RTS Big movies and children's play-potpourri (picture below:. A hostile despatch rider was intercepted, the Union troops panicked).

Conclusion: For players who have not yet played the "Scourge of War" series, another opportunity to take a look. You will not regret it. For fans and veterans of the series, the question of purchase is probably not at first. These buy the expansion anyway. For a detailed summary, I refer to Tribune Scourge of War - Gettysburg Review. A penalty for the lack of a campaign map. Two-point premium for the successful continuation of the series. Great game with still room for improvement.

For a price of 34, - Euro (boxed version) you get is lots of entertainment, no question (The downloadable version hits with 31, - Euros to worth so much because the boxed version also includes an instant download.). The multiplayer part with five multiplayer maps I have not tried.
Actually missing only the missing campaign map. For future releases I would therefore wish to see an associated campaign, in which the losses are taken into account performance over the previous battle.

Rating: 83%
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Stevedrumsdw
Reactions:

Re: Review of Chancellorsville

Post by Stevedrumsdw »

If you guys did a campaign mode with this series it would be the best war game ever, hands down. Nothing could compare to it. :cheer:
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

+1.

Norb and crew take note. A campaign is what the customers want!
Last edited by Saddletank on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

A campaign mode has been on our radar for quite some time. That said, developing a campaign mode from scratch is no small challenge. We do not like to talk about any new feature until we are quite sure we can deliver it and have it be up to our standards.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
puma2k
Reactions:

Post by puma2k »

There is a ongoing Strategy Game of the Year poll as well. SOW was included: http://7idgaming.de/content.php