Problems joining host?

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Problems joining host?

Post by Garnier »

To use a different port, the host would need to change his port number in the ini file. This is the line:
$gameport=31791
This works, but:
Anyone joining by IP will need to use the correct port.
If the NAT connection fails and regular port forwarding is used, the host will also need to have forwarding set up for the new port being used. (I don't know how often this happens if at all.)

Players joining by the lobby should have no problem, unless the new port is blocked for someone else.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
BoldRover
Reactions:

Post by BoldRover »

Well Garnier and I just performed a final test, and it works now. In summary, the issue for me was not reaching the hoster's IP, but the 31791-port interaction that was being blocked by my ISP.

I hope it won't be too much of an issue for MP community to use port 30000 instead of 31791. :blush:

If not, I can play too! :woohoo:

Thanks all for your feedback and hosting the test games!

It would be interesting to know whether this fix also works for Saddletank & Co.
Last edited by BoldRover on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I just want to thank you for taking the time to work through this issue. You were meticulous in researching every aspect until you came to a solution. Any interest in testing for us :)
BoldRover
Reactions:

Post by BoldRover »

No problem, you're welcome :)

To clarify the initial symptoms, contrary to what i mentionned above, it seems like I've never really hosted a game on port 31791 after all.

When i check C:\NorbSoftDev\Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Work\SOWGB.ini, i find:

$gameport=31730

I'm positive I did no tweaking to this file myself, so the game must have autoconfigured itself to host via this alternative port.
Last edited by BoldRover on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Yes, that is just a random port that we chose. It means nothing except that everyone defaults to that. You can choose any port and it's settable in the MP gui, you should not have to edit the ini file to change it.