Purchase advice

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
pensfan
Reactions:

Purchase advice

Post by pensfan »

Hello All,

New member and 1st post. Looking to purchase either Gettysburg or the latest release, Chancellorsville. As this will be my first purchase in this series, which of the two would be more beneficial to a newbie to learn the system? Also, what new features does Chancellorsville offer over Gettysburg?

Thanks,

Alan
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Purchase advice

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I would recommend Gettysburg as your first purchase. The terrain is much more friendly for learning the basics of command and control. Chancellorsville is mostly forested which makes it very difficult to see what is going on. It is true that you can toggle off the trees, but then you are left with a visually uninteresting landscape to play on. Whichever you choose, I wish you many happy hours of play.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Welcome Aboard pensfan

Many folks have opted for the CV stand alone, and if you purchase CV first, this is the version you will get. It has the map layout to select scenarios making it more appealing than the battle pack version. Also it is new, most popular and being freshly discussed, and, includes all our LARGE next generation maps and advanced scenario designs.

Then I would suggest getting Gettysburg next, as it would also give you the scenario select map, then add the additional battle packs to it, Pipe Creek and Antietam.

Still, if you want more goodies up front, scenarios and available mods, then go for Gettysburg first. This would keep all your games under one roof as you can then eventually add the complete set as battle packs.

Either way, you can't go wrong. :)
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
pensfan
Reactions:

Post by pensfan »

Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards Chancellorsville. Now off to make a purchase!

Alan
FLGibsonJr
Reactions:

Post by FLGibsonJr »

I saw that Grand Trunk Railway Caboose and thought there was a good chance you were from Michigan. That is a very familiar looking caboose for a Michiganian.

Regards,
FLGibsonJr
Reactions:

Post by FLGibsonJr »

I would make sure to look into Multiplayer as well, it can be great fun.

Regards,
pensfan
Reactions:

Post by pensfan »

I would make sure to look into Multiplayer as well, it can be great fun.

Regards,
At some point I will give multiplayer a try. Right now, I'm on the 2nd tutorial. I've got so much to learn.

Alan