10 Mile Map

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Bloody 8th
Reactions:

10 Mile Map

Post by Bloody 8th »

First off, GREAT map my Army of Northern Virginia marched for almost two hours untill I met them Yankees.... Replay value is super high on this level. My only questions that I have is I am very defensive minded and I like to position my tropps against fences or walls and I noticed atleast for now that when I put them up against fences it still says that they are in the open but the defensive terrain bonus is on. Any reason why or am I missing something or is it how you wrote in this scenaro? Thanks
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: 10 Mile Map

Post by Davinci »

Thanks, for your comments about the map.

OK….Here is My take on this, and I probably stand alone on thinking this way!

I don’t believe in the defensive bonus-system that is applied to some of the terrain in the game.

I also think that the casualty-rates are way too high, and happen far too fast.

With that said, I think that it is a sort of a cheat to apply a defensive bonus that only the human-player will try to obtain, and not the AI units.

So, the fences are only for looks, to sort of break-up the battlefield, and not for any defensive bonus.

I did give the entire battlefield a defensive-bonus due to this is how I have always played all of my games. This brings down the casualty-rate, and gives the units…..call it cover from the smoke of battle.

I also don’t apply the default cover-from-the-woods….. density…..thing , if someone is standing in the woods, and within musket \ artillery range, they are fair game.

It’s just the way that I have always played!.....But it is also moddable , if someone would like to change it!

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Bloody 8th
Reactions:

Post by Bloody 8th »

Alright good deal so I will move all my men off the fences. I do feel pretty formidable when all my guys are hunkered down behind a fence or wall... NOw it will be purely battle line positioning
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Alright good deal so I will move all my men off the fences. I do feel pretty formidable when all my guys are hunkered down behind a fence or wall... NOw it will be purely battle line positioning
I still like to use the fence-line when positioning my troops for the appearance looks I guess, but now I find it better to concentrate on the heights.

This is something that the AI is programmed to go after.

Also - Welcome to the Forums!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!