help

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
phoenix
Reactions:

Re: help

Post by phoenix »

And, I should add, I see a lot of engagements, in game, at about 10 yards, across open ground, with niether line behind cover. I can't believe that the proximit, and position, wouldn't result in a charge, , or a rout, or at least a quicker resolution than I see in game, where they plug at it like that for maybe five to ten minutes (conservative estimate of 2 rounds a minute then 120 men will shoot 1,200 rounds every five minutes, into a line of men 10 yards away, about 120 men - does that work? Surely not?). I feel - as Rebbugler says - that in fact what I'm watching, somehow, is an engagement at 3 times the distance (when you might expect more of the 1,200 rounds to miss and hence the engagement to continue for longer).
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Quick note, as I'm watching my Razorbacks getting creamed again, alas, but 1:1 is handled great by this engine, you just have to rewrite OOBs to accommodate. Check out my SR1 scenarios in Bugles and Flags.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Phoenix,

Having just returned, (again), from places annoying, I can assure you that, even with modern weapons, Firefights DO take place at VERY short ranges, AND can last awhile, with boatloads of rounds expended.

To give you the briefest recap - Many of us have gone over the range vs. accuracy aspect here at length. The bottom line consensus is -

1) Historically, there were numerous times where infantry units blazed away at relatively short ranges. Many of these were at 100 yards or less. One thing to remember is the North American terrain is not very flat OR open. Dense Woods, hills, gullys, farm fields, etc. all contributed to the short range contests.
Documentation has shown many units in the Western Armies on both sides retained their smoothbore muskets thru the war, given the nature of the terrain they were fighting in.

2) As far as "10 yards or so" firefights and "why don't they charge?," I believe the game has been modded to reflect current thought that Bayonet charges were rare, and the game should reflect that. Again, historically, commanders on the ground appeared to be more taken with the firepower over shock tactics, especially after losing X number of men in some ill-concieved assault on a Battery of 12pdrs. (I know that would slow my butt down. I HATE cannister.)
I give you as an example, Brawner Farm, 1862. Gibbon's Iron Brigade stood toe-to-toe with Taliaferro's Reb Brigades for God-Knows how long, trading a savage fire with equally tough Reb Soldiers in relatively light to non-existant cover. Neither side gave an inch, until, (I think), the Brigade on Gibbon's right gave way. Probably the best example of close-range firefights I can think of off the top of my head.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Jack "been out of CONUS WAY too long this time" O'Neill B)

Oh Yes - Almost forgot - Welcome aboard! If you enjoy this game at all, you are now completely screwed! :laugh:
Bon Chance!!
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
phoenix
Reactions:

Post by phoenix »

Thanks Jack. I do enjoy the game, and it does look great, and certainly real enough. You have to forget the maps are scaled up, I think. In sandbox it seems to work very well, I've found, where, in any case, I'm not worried about it being 'historically accuarrate'. Your info is interesting - I'll go look it up - because I do see that happening (10 yeard stand-offs) and to my (inexperienced, untutored)eye it looks mad and unreal. They did do that in the film I watched, I note (Gettysburg - with Sheen, Daniels et al).And I note your doctrine point about charges.

I'll check out Reb Buglers mod, I think.
phoenix
Reactions:

Post by phoenix »

Got the Flags and Bugles and it's great, Reb. Thanks. You're right, the SR1 scenarios are handled no probs at all. I notice you've put roughly 100 men in each brigade though (there are 100 or so in the graphic and it says that in the info too) - but I had imagined, wrongly, perhaps, that a brigade back then was between 250 and 700 men. Am I wrong?

Can you recommend a mini-map mod that will give me bigger, better mini-maps (even with my glasses I can't use the stock ones!)and will work fine with your mods?

Thanks again, for the help.
phoenix
Reactions:

Post by phoenix »

Sorry. Meant regiment, not brigade. Did not regiments have between 200 and 700 men, I meant?
budd
Reactions:

Post by budd »

here's the mini map i use
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifi ... -available

this map installs to the main dirctory and then i installed the small courier and maps mod[there is a bigger version of this, i play on a laptop]then i deleted the maps folder out of the courier and maps mod so i could use the features of the mod with this map. I have had no problems so far, YMMV.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Sorry. Meant regiment, not brigade. Did not regiments have between 200 and 700 men, I meant?
Ha, almost there, you meant company. Companies officially were mustered at 100 men giving regiments 1000.

Please note that SOW only allows 125 sprites max per unit (good max number, as above 125 units would become unwieldy), this is why OOBs must be rewritten. You can still set 1 to 1 scale in the Options, and the stock OOBs can use it with the units maxed out, but the visuals of one man hit, one man falls are lost. The engine formulates the excess numbers.

Also note, many of the regiments are around 300 men. For gameplay, I prefer to have 3 battalions at 100 men rather than 10 small companies. This is also OK historically, as this was the case many times for organization and tactics as regiments grew smaller as the war progressed.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
phoenix
Reactions:

Post by phoenix »

I just 'discovered' the HITS mode. Wow. Now that is different. Brilliant. Stuck in a (kind of) first person pov, with a map (just like a real comander!!). Love it. It does mean you have to get the mini maps improved though, and I haven't managed that yet, despite guidance.

Also, still haven't worked out how to order my entire command, as opposed to just me. But I've posted separately about that.

Really getting into this game now......not what I needed right now....ah, well...
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Phoenix,

Ha-Ha! Told you - you're screwed now........ :laugh: Yes, HITS is outstanding.

Jack B)

Oh yes - check out the two books by Paddy Griffith on the ACW. His research is excellent.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"