This game for steam (hear me out!)

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: This game for steam (hear me out!)

Post by Little Powell »

I'm not angry at all.. Some people love the activation, some people don't mind it, others flat out hate it. No worries.. But it is secure, which is what a small company like us needs to stay afloat.

And regardless, we never said we would use the activation method forever. It's just the best thing for us at this time. :)
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

If you guys want to keep battling back and forth the pros and cons of Steam...that's cool. But as far as SOW being a part of it...it ain't gonna happen, at least not in the next couple of years or so...Confirmed.
thanks for confirming that reb.
im relieved as that means i and the others i know who play this fantastic game will definatly stay with it.
had us worried there for a minute! cheers
Monty
Reactions:

Post by Monty »

I hope that means that NSD have something lined up even more promising than Steam. Otherwise, I am of the same view as Philippe Malacher, lead developer for AGEOD who is promoting their latest game thus:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=93111493

It has been done!

Now, as you may know, Steam is THE major digital platform that nobody should miss... So even if you plan to acquire the game on our site, or if you already did that, if you want to support us, then by all mean don't hesitate to vote for the acceptance of Alea Jacta Est on Steam.

This will help us tremendously (yes, superlatives everywhere, hehe, but that's important, and this is an understatement) keeping our independence and style of gameplay.
www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?2530 ... post243580
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Monty quoted:
I hope that means that NSD have something lined up even more promising than Steam.
Yes we do. CONFIRMED!
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Steam's updated user agreement bans class action suits
http://www.techspot.com/news/49621-stea ... suits.html
http://beefjack.com/news/steams-new-ter ... ys-lawyer/

Steam game service hacked, credit card theft investigated
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingam ... ted-119121

Something else you should know about Steam
As bad as that is, we are now getting reports that users are being told that they have to either submit to the new terms or have their accounts permanently deactivated, and in the process lose access to all the content they purchased through Steam... Read More?
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

if this game go's to steam then im out.
i have my reasons which have been stated elsewhere.
if norb wanted to go that route i could understand it,but not for me.
id stick with what i already have and the brilliant mods. cheers
I don't read the original post as suggesting Steam ONLY, just that Steam download is an option.

Those of us who don't have the Steam download version (which is... uh... all of us) would carry on as we are. Only new customers would have the choice - buy via NSD or download over Steam.

Given that Steam would bring in many more customers its a complete no-brainer then, that the answer should be: yes!
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
NefariousKoel
Reactions:

Post by NefariousKoel »

For bringing in new customers: Yes.

For being the sole provider: Absolutely Not.

Some of the negatives regarding Steam has already been mentioned, notably how your account can be pretty much shut off at a whim, and all your games purchased there denied to you. Whether by changing your Agreement and forcing you to sign the switch-a-roo or even in cases where you're found to be modding games (there have been warnings in MP-capable games that an account ban can happen), it's a big negative in my book to have it as the sole retail option.

There are those who prefer to only have their games via Steam, for a single-stop storage backup I guess, so for them I can see it as being one way to go. I dunno how much more business it will garner with this game, though, but any is good.

I've seen many indie devs, with absolutely wonderful games, mention being turned down by Steam and frankly this also grates on me, and further lowers my opinion of Steam. They obviously don't cater to some of my favorite intellectual gaming genres so they can rot away with their same 'ole FPS & RTS carbon copies that people use & toss the next week.

I heard something about a new publisher for SOW, so hopefully it's someone that doesn't take DRM to the extreme or try to make this game an exclusive on Steam. :dry:
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

as long as i have a choice then thats fine.
thats all ive ever asked for,but if im told i must have steam then i'll be spending my money elsewhere.cheers
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Before the big announcement has been made I bought the cd version with the second activation code. All of my money is going to support Norbsoft. So whatever happens, I hope us faithful supporters are not forgotten.
Last edited by NY Cavalry on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.