Steam

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: Steam

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Here is something I think will clarify my position with why I would not like to see SOW on Steam.

Here is the main link: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/n ... -on-steam/

Notch explains why you can't find Minecraft on Steam
Why isn't Minecraft for sale via Steam? The game's creator explains the …

Minecraft has sold something on the order of fifty hojillion copies, making its creator, Markus "Notch" Persson, a hero among indie developers. There is an oddity about this success, however: Minecraft is still not available to purchase via Steam. After being asked the reasons for this at PAX, Persson decided to make a public statement on his blog.

He begins the post with effusive praise for the digital-delivery platform, before explaining why he doesn't sell his own game there. "Being on Steam limits a lot of what we're allowed to do with the game, and how we're allowed to talk to our users," Persson wrote. "We (probably?) wouldn't be able to, say, sell capes or have a map market place on minecraft.net that works with steam customers in a way that keeps Valve happy. It would effectively split the Minecraft community into two parts, where only some of the players can access all of the weird content we want to add to the game."

This is reminiscent of EA's reasons for not offering Battlefield 3 on Steam. "When a download service forbids publishers from contacting players with patches, new levels, items and other services—it disrupts our ability to provide the ongoing support players expect from us," EA said in a statement. "At present, this is the case with only one download service. While EA offers its entire portfolio to this site, they have elected to not post many of our games."

In the case of Minecraft, there's no big argument or disagreement between himself and Valve, and Persson stated that he's speaking with the company about these issues. He simply noted that "a certain inherent incompatibility between what we want to do and what they want to do."

I love Minecraft, the game is simply brilliant. This is one of the best examples that a game can make it without having to use Steam as your delivery system.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Mike, I think everyone on the forums is now well aware of your views on Steam. No need to remind us in every thread, yeah?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Mike, I think everyone on the forums is now well aware of your views on Steam. No need to remind us in every thread, yeah?
No problem saddletank.

Sorry to have bothered you Sir.
24th Georgia Volunteer
Reactions:

Post by 24th Georgia Volunteer »

Hmm, does anyone know why the game has come down off Gamersgate in the last 24 hours since the sale has started. It's odd.