Trevilian Station 1864 - map in progress

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Crikey
Reactions:

Re: Trevilian Station 1864 - map in progress

Post by Crikey »

Tacloban - Hope all well. Good to hear from you.

If you do take some snaps, please post them. Very interested in what various key points look like as my sources are limited to the 'net' and Wittenberg's book. B)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Yes, Crikey has the magic touch, this should be a very welcomed addition to the map collection.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Quick update. This should be ready sometime in September.

Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by Chamberlain »

Looks awesome Crikey !!

Great job !

:cheer:

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Man, you do great work, THANKS!!!

Briefly checked out this engagement, and see that a SR1 scenario, or a few, would be fitting to help show the history. Going to my back burner for now, front burners are boiling over. :woohoo:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Can you do something with what looks like the alpha channel priorities on the rail fence textures? All that white showing betweem the rails looks weird.

Other than that, extremely nice.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

Thanks guys - credit to 2nd Tx for his supply of great sprites.

RebBugler - some scenarios at some point would be great. Back burner no probs.

Saddletank - the fences look ok in game. The alphas work fine. What you're seeing is sun bleached timber. And re-laying fences isn't my idea of fun at the best of times. :laugh:
Last edited by Crikey on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Hm, okay.

Have you a close up shot of the fences with a figure stood behind one maybe? It looks like solid white and grey strips in the pictures with no gaps to show through what is behind it (like the horses legs). There wouldn't be any relaying to do if there was a problem, just some work on the texture file.

This little query aside it is looking fantastic, especially all the new grasses and clutter and such.
2nd Texas Infantry
Reactions:

Post by 2nd Texas Infantry »

Hm, okay.

Have you a close up shot of the fences with a figure stood behind one maybe? It looks like solid white and grey strips in the pictures with no gaps to show through what is behind it (like the horses legs). There wouldn't be any relaying to do if there was a problem, just some work on the texture file.

This little query aside it is looking fantastic, especially all the new grasses and clutter and such.
Tank,
The fence objects do have an alpha channel. The fences are sun bleached and are correct in appreance. Trust me there are gaps between the rails. Sometimes one may notice white lines or shadows on the fence objects when visible with zoom and at the horizon, but that is rare and unavoidable from the 3d wire frame construction. The fence appearance that I made is authentic. I worked at an 1830's living history museuem for 7 years and actually made the snake or worm fences by hand and can attest that the weather worn fences are correct. And not because they are old. A farmer would cut the wood and let it cure, usually cedar or in the deep south, bald cypress. After it cured they would split it with sledge hammers and iron wedges. You will see them soon enough up close. I appreciate your detailed feedback. Sometimes you might rub people wrong, but I like your constructive criticism. It shows that you are honest and care about quality and authenticity. Feedback is always welcome from all.

Looks good Crikey, you always do the best work. I look forward to collaborating with you in the future
on a map like the old days.
-2nd_TX
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Its okay, I wasn't saying anything negative about the fence shape, colour, texture or anything like that. I'm also aware of the faint white edging you get to the alpha channel in the default fence objects.

It was just that between the rails of these new fences no background is visible in these screenshots that I can see, but if you say the fences can be seen through with an alpha channel problem no worse than the default ones, that's good enough for me. I just can't see that in these particular screenshots where the fence texture sems to consist of horizontal strips of greyish-brown (the rails) and then white (which should not be white but should be the gap between the rails).

And you're right, I am always concerned about things being right... even the little things like fences which tend to be 'invisible' while you are in the heat of battle but which you can suddenly notice one day and be impressed by (if its done well) or it destroys the sense of immersion (if its done wrong).