a question for the experts

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: a question for the experts

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Yes "Landscape Turned Red" is an excellent book about Antietam. A great counterpart to "A Gleam of Bayonets" by someone I can't remember :unsure:

Jack B)
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

All,

Yes "Landscape Turned Red" is an excellent book about Antitam. A great counterpart to "A Gleam of Bayonets" by someone I can't remember :unsure:

Jack B)
Gettysburg, Picket's Charge Thread. :whistle:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
redcoat
Reactions:

Post by redcoat »

cheers fellas,i can see this is going to get expencive!
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

Reb, I have read some if not most of the books about Gettysburg. Coddington's is the best for the over all Gettysburg Campaign in my opinion. Sears is terrific for an exciting read. Harry Pfanz's Book's are in my opinion thee best in all the tactical aspects of each day except the third day which he some how avoided unless he has written it and I missed it. Swinton wrote a book in 1866 of the Army of the Potomac from start to finish. Most current books seem to emulate his writing with the exception of our fondness for all the contravercies. Which we seem to enjoy so much. Another good source is Gettysburg Magazine. They have many different writers researching and writing about many different aspects of the battle.
Gen Hunt indeed ordered the artillary to slowly cease fire and fall back a little bit. He mainly was concerned about replenishing his frontline artillary. As you know Lee's Artillary were firing way over target as a whole causing not too much damage on the frontline,but causing alot of damage behind the lines blowing up caisons and equipment. Hunt was concerned that when the attack would come that he wouldn't be able to resupply as he would wish too if the caisons and ammo from behind were not readily available. So he ordered them back and then return with the reserves to meet the attack. He had 80 cannon on the left and left front to help stop Picket.
Move Forward