On Software Piracy

Threads discussing NSD news items from the front page.
Chicora
Reactions:

On Software Piracy

Post by Chicora »

This thread discusses the Content article: On Software Piracy

I think you described the landscape well -- mainly if you do the wrong thing you'll be fried.

So, with that in mind, I c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y offer these thoughts -- with the usual disclaimers. ;-)

Assumption #1. People will want to get started playing the game as quickly as possible on their own computers. To slow down that process in any way will cause ill feelings discussed in the article.

Assumption #2. Multi-player is going to be THE key feature that attracts people to this game (yes, I know that it is sooo much more - but MP will be the first attraction).

Assumption #3. As long as people can get started with the game on the local computers AND at least get started with multiplayer -- with the least possible interference the better.

Assumption #4. People will welcome the opportunity to \"step up\" into a higher level of competition for those who have completed \"base requirements.\"

---

Okay, now my idea ...

- Let people start the game (off and online) without
registration. Let them progress to level X.

- But to gain \"special achievement\" rewards (such as expanded scenarios, multiplayer levels, command levels, etc), require that they log in to register their progress online. Have the unlock delivered online.

You will have to be careful how you describe the unlocks. But, just for example, you could have multi-player \"command levels\" be monitored in this way. Do you really want a \"newbie\" commanding a whole army online? They would only get frustrated and leave! Maybe they could command the whole army but there would be some special functions that they couldn't access until they've showed some mastery of it.

Okay, maybe my example isn't that good -- but I think the idea could work.

Cheers!
Peter
aka Chicora
western North Carolina
norb
Reactions:

Re:On Software Piracy

Post by norb »

Thanks. You have some interesting ideas that I'm going to stew over for a while.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Good thoughts Chicora.

It sounds like you could have gotten your \"achievement\" idea possibly from CoD4. They had 55 levels that you could progress to and unlock different \"perks\". The higher the level the better the perks.

I do like you idea of a certain level of achievement before one could take command of a division or corps level group. Or unlock certain multi-player scenerios, if that is how the multi-player will work. Or maybe as you go through the multi-player scenerio's the scenerio's will increase from 2 people commanding a brigade to 2 people commanding a division and then 2 people commanding a Corps. Something like that would promote teamwork and get poeple to learn the nature of the game and hopefully keep the \"newbs\" from leading me into a massacre.

I would also assume that the people that are going to buy the game right away aren't going to want to wait for their friend to download it and hack around to get it to work and then they could use it. True, you will always have some that will try to hack into it, but I am going to think that the majority of people that will play an old era game will just buy the game.

Just a few thoughts
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Chicora
Reactions:

Post by Chicora »

Good expansion on the idea...more good ideas to simmer.

BTW, the idea is my own creation (for a game that I have spec'ed on paper but will probably never see the digital light of day). In case COD4 comes knocking on the door.

Cheers!
Peter
aka Chicora
western North Carolina
AP514
Reactions:

Post by AP514 »

I think a online Key Code(Registry code)would work just fine. This would keep hackers from playing online. Which is the main part of the game(from what I have ben reading).

Another idea I had but now sure about the legal stuff on this is...
1) two Key Codes are detected online at same time. Solution would be to disable both computers from being able to play online. The rightful owner would have to send a email to get access to logon for downloading new Key code.
After 3 times(or what ever number)of resting the code you are no longer allowed to get online, get patches ect.
I figure if you have to have your Code reset more than 3 times your giving the code away, a hacker or just a dumbass for letting it get taken.
The player would have to click some sort of *I Agee *button on first registering game about losing access after 3rd code reset..ect.

AP514
Last edited by AP514 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris merchant
Reactions:

Post by chris merchant »

I wouldn't be in favour of any scheme that requires live servers in the equation.

Devil's advocate here, but should Norb move on in a couple of years to do something else - what happens when someone wants to reinstall their NSD game that requires activation or live registration, only to find that the servers are no longer responding?

Or that after 3 months, the customer's copy of winxp or vista requires reinstallation, how elegantly would the servers cope with that?

Other wargame developers have tried the online activation method and have met with strongly worded disagreement from the community.

Activation introduces the feeling that you are merely renting the game rather than own it, and although that may be true in the T's and C's, I don't think wargamers generally take to this concept with a great deal of zeal.

My favoured method of authentication is the good ol' serial number method. I think this is effective, IF the developer also releases update patches along the way that include serial blacklists that refuse installation in cases where serials match.

I also like the suggestion in H2H games to check serials and prevent sync where the serial numbers are identical.

$0.02

cheers Chris
Chicora
Reactions:

Post by Chicora »

Good forward thinking! I'm loving this thread. :-)

I think it's great that you've thought about that \"one day when\" Norb gets fabulously wealthy and decides to do something else.

I think any kind of online validation does have that potential issue (my original suggestion, online serial number check, etc).

I think it would be worthwhile to think about what happens regarding authentication and validation at the \"end\" of the game's life.

Cheers!
Peter
aka Chicora
western North Carolina
chantilly
Reactions:

Post by chantilly »

Gents, I have no experience with multiplayer or software protection, but I do have experience with LANs & WANs. I like some of the suggestions above, but have some questions.
1) What is the draw-back of signing onto a server using a CD-key (as a log-in ID) everytime a player wants join a multi-player game ? I'm sure there is a way to prevent multiple simultaneous log-in ID's. When a player buys the downloaded game - they too would receive a unique CD-key (Or game ID - whatever you want to call it). I'm not sure if a multiple log-in attempt would kick out the first user - but it would definately keep out the 2nd user and on - and as posted above, 3 strikes (simultaneous log-in attempts) and that ID is locked out. Let the original owner argue his case in some kind of \"complaints\" e-mail & let NSD decide their punishment/penalties/fate. This may sound like a hassle on NSD's part, but maybe worth it.

2) Norb - if you have to go the securom (or something similar) route again, is it really that big of a negative ? Granted - I manage my own PC's with an Iron Fist, but it wouldn't bother me to have a small security program running in the background, to enjoy a downloaded game {that's just me}. I only have CD versions of your games, so I honestly don't know the negatives of securom. Yes - I'm biased because I want to see NSD succeed & be protected, but I honestly think that honest people won't mind that much. If the hackers and teeny-boppers trying to hook-up their friends with freebies get pissed about it - so be it.

3) Way over my head, but you've got some hidden code in the .exe that exposes the hacked versions. Very good, but could you put multiple security-type code with a random generator - to make it even harder to find ? Time to get creative with your Mojo :)
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I won't use securom again. I would not have used it the first time if I had known what it did.

I don't have a constant server that I can run to constantly check serials. That's not really the way I want to go. I don't mind one check and I don't mind checking to make sure that two of the same serials can't multiplayer together. Not sure how much further I would go with that.

I am just looking for some good ideas. I have some time before a decision is made, but it's great to hear everyone's concepts. I really appreciate it.
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Interesting Ideas. Piracy is a very hard thing to counter. On one hand you want to keep the package as modable as possible, allowing multiple \"downloading\", while preventing copying. key codes are archaic, but registration when installing is still used by companies such as Autodesk.
When you register, you install, then log into thier site, they verify your purchase with the unique id code and mac address, then send you the file that will allow the product to work with that individual mac address. CD distribution prevents piracy easier than downloading etc... If you have to reinstall, you have to register again, etc. There are always going to be hackers out there. It is a shame. When released, I hope to be one of the first to buy one... :)
Mark S. Tewes