How newbie friendly is MP?

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
ThatOtherGuy
Reactions:

How newbie friendly is MP?

Post by ThatOtherGuy »

I've been a fan of TC2M for a few years now, and I recently purchased this pretty freaking awesome game, but I'm not very good. I'm not horrible, but as soon as I bought the game I discovered HITS and couriers and I haven't played any other mode since. This leads to some interesting SP games, but I feel like I'm just stumbling about and getting lucky against the AI(which I guess is kind of realistic) but I want the extra challenge of having to out-think a human player.

My question is, if I were to get involved in MP would I be a burden? Strategy games in multiplayer are nothing new to me(like the Total War series), but with a game as detailed as this I'd have a bit of a learning curve. After lurking these boards for a while it appears most of the people here are laid back cool dudes, but I just wanted to make sure clueless newbies are welcome.

Thanks!
Beef Stu
Reactions:

Re: How newbie friendly is MP?

Post by Beef Stu »

If HITS is your thing there's a good group around here for you to join http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/f32-scourge-of-war

but if you ever get sick of being in the saddle there is also the GCM group http://www.sowmp.com

in either case new players are easily incorporated.

FYI: nobody hangs out much in the actual multiplayer lobby so if you're in there waiting for someone you might be waiting a long time.
Last edited by Beef Stu on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

We get new players in the GCM all the time. A lot of people sign up but never play. Those who do play enjoy the games. Come give it a try.

www.sowmp.com
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Welcome!

In some cases giving orders by courier is actually easier in MP because you can send freetext messages to human players - I rarely get a chance to play MP, but when i do I always love it.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Hi Other Guy

As Beef says, our group plays exclusively HITS & Couriers (in fact we use a tighter fix to the saddle than the games default controls allow so we use a true 1st person perspective). You won't be asked to command more than a brigade if you feel comfortable at that level.

Beef also gave our correct forum address. In there you'll find a thread that gives our teamspeak server address and all you'll need is to install Teamspeak and have a mic.
Last edited by Saddletank on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
ThatOtherGuy
Reactions:

Post by ThatOtherGuy »

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I'll definitely be checking this out then.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Yes do come and join us on http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/f32-scourge-of-war if HITS is your thing. If it helps to reassure you, we are a very friendly group, and play the game in that spirit.

Martin
kg_sspoom
Reactions:

Post by kg_sspoom »

Both groups are a blast and you will be welcomed in both.
In the GCM group new players are always teamed with veterans as there is a random
team generator so there is no stacking up on the new guys.
In the hits and couriers the games are purely for fun and there is no pressure to
outperform anyone.
In GCM there is a little more emphasis on winning but sometimes there are 10 or more to a side so you have plenty of people to ask for help,, and no-one gets bent when their sides comes out on the down side.
Feel free to play both to see what your favorite is. The GCM games can be really epic battles while the Hits games are smaller scale but more chaotic(in the saddle is a bear against humans)
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Thanks Sspoom. We regularly play corps v corps games these days though, with the player team doing co-op in commmand of one division, or sometimnes two, so often our battles are epic as well. There may only be 3 to 5 human players in our games but they are a test of generalship and in recent weeks since one of our main hosts made some adjustments to the aggressiveness and decision-making of the AI, we have been getting beaten about 1 time in 4.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
ThatOtherGuy
Reactions:

Post by ThatOtherGuy »

I tried playing a GCM game with a bunch of guys yesterday but my game was having none of it and kept crashing. Still have to figure out what the problem is before I can play.

I do only play SP in HITS, though, so trying that out in MP would be fun after I figure out my PC issues.