Litte Update

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
norb
Reactions:

Litte Update

Post by norb »

So JC is starting to test SandBox mode for us (former OpenPlay). He's the first to really focus on playing the game. We've all just been adding stuff, if it works once you move on.

So he's 2 seconds into it and realizes that the fatigue is completely screwed up. I check it out and the values are crazy and the system is broken. So now I'm rewriting fatigue, adding a bunch of new features for moddeling it more realistically. I thought this guys was supposed to help me, not cause me more work :)

Here's the plan. JC is doing a great job and as you can see above, we only have time to respond to one tester right now. Once the game is stable and much more playable, we'll bring on some more. Hopefully I'll get fatigue in and working tonight and be able to get a new release out very soon. Problem is that once I finish, then Jim has to go in and decide what values he wants in there.

JC will be uncovering the glaring bugs for now. Making sure we got everything covered and the game is playable. PC is also supposed to be gearing up soon and will join JC in testing SandBox.

I also got the SteamWorks API and will be looking at switching our Lobby from PowerLobby/Battle HQ/Wargamer to the one in Steam. I haven't used the API yet, so I don't know how well it will fit in with us. But is certainly a great opportunity that I don't want to pass us by.
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Re:Litte Update

Post by Gunfreak »

Sounds good, can you explane what the diffrence between Open play and sandbox will be?

What new features will it have. will there be an option to place units on the map, so you can make a battle plan before the games starts?
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

norb wrote:
So JC is starting to test SandBox mode for us (former OpenPlay). He's the first to really focus on playing the game. We've all just been adding stuff, if it works once you move on.

So he's 2 seconds into it and realizes that the fatigue is completely screwed up. I check it out and the values are crazy and the system is broken. So now I'm rewriting fatigue, adding a bunch of new features for moddeling it more realistically. I thought this guys was supposed to help me, not cause me more work :)
:laugh: What can I say...if it's broke... I get Norb to fix it!:cheer:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Sand box? What type of name is that!
Hancock the Superb
69th NYSV
Reactions:

Post by 69th NYSV »

norb wrote:
So JC is starting to test SandBox mode for us (former OpenPlay).
Sounds like what Open Play is now....:P
Pvt., 4th Texas Infantry, Co. B
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

69th NYSV wrote:
norb wrote:
So JC is starting to test SandBox mode for us (former OpenPlay).
Sounds like what Open Play is now....:P
It's a little muddy right now.:lol:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

:unsure: "Sandbox Mode" :dry:

Kinda little wierd and childish wording as a replacement for the old Open Play Mode! :blink:

How about "Random Battle Play" or something along those lines?

What age bracket is NSD shooting for? :S
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Sorry, it was my idea to call it SandBox and it is based on my days of yore setting up the tiny green army men before my battles in the sandbox out back. It's just one of those things that has stuck with me over the years. I'm sure I've also heard it used other places referring to the same type of thing. Just pass it off as the madness of the coder.

Sandbox will be pretty much the same. Most of the new stuff is under the covers. There will be some new features, but what needs fixing most about the way it used to work is the strategic AI and that's what we'll spend our time doing.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

There's a child in every man!
Hancock the Superb
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Sand-Box , Sand-Box-Mode ,

I have heard of the reference before, but I have always thought that it was a way of Pre-Setting , everything, and then once that is done, to Save it, and let the battle commence .

I wonder if this feature is included with the New Game!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!