Ten Mile Maps are possible.....maybe.....

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Ten Mile Maps are possible.....maybe.....

Post by Saddletank »

I can see you are putting some buildings on which was one of the things I didn't like about Elpine1 and 2. I know you say hills cause a framerate hit but to be honest I'd rather have a lower framerate and some decent hills that a flat map. Elpine1 and 2 were, sadly, just too flat for my taste.

Elevations bring tactical interest but unfortunately you need several of them, not just one or two, as all battles will congregate around them. The hills also would be a lot of work as they need to make sense in the physical geography and be a result of the various watercourses. Random accidental hills like the Total War maps are not what we're looking for here!

Something half-way between Alpine and Elpine in terms of elevations would be good.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I know you say hills cause a framerate hit but to be honest I'd rather have a lower framerate and some decent hills that a flat map. Elpine1 and 2 were, sadly, just too flat for my taste.
Hmm, The Elpine1 wasn't that flat as far as I remember, haven't really played on it lately.

The ELPine2 was flatten on request of the G-Man .

And, don't take this the wrong way, but this particular map is going to be designed around me and roughly half a dozen other players.

Selfish, well.....probably, but I have always wanted a very large map, so no amount of complaining will deter me from experimenting in the hopes of achieving that goal.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
william1993
Reactions:

Post by william1993 »

Which order of battle are you using?
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
william1993
Reactions:

Post by william1993 »

Will there be fences and walls on this?
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
Armistead
Reactions:

Post by Armistead »

Very interesting
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Which order of battle are you using?
It’s a custom OOB that I made a while back based off of the Gettysburg OOB, that has roughly thirty thousand troops per side, a small battery, and no cavalry units.
Will there be fences and walls on this?
As of now there are roughly one-hundred-twenty-five houses and barns, and several hundred fence pieces on the map.

I’ll continue adding in the houses, barns, and fences until it starts to affect the fps .

I plan on adding in quite a few wooded cabins but they have to be converted, so I haven’t had the time to do that as of now.

2nd Texas did give me a list of several that is in one of the package.dat files, so I’ll try those out also.

EDIT Post

I just checked the fences - there are 3,836 and I'll probably have to add that many more.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

This is something I'll definitely be using alot of unless my PC struggles - I hope it works out for you Davinci.

Speaking for myself, I have no problem playing a relatively bare map as long as there are lots of roads to get around and lots of hills to obstruct visibility.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

This is something I'll definitely be using a lot of unless my PC struggles.
Well…it’s still very early in the process but I think that I have figured out a way around this, basically by reducing the viewing distance in the game, it only draws what is close to your position.

This appears to be working without dragging down the fps, but a lot more testing is still required.
Speaking for myself, I have no problem playing a relatively bare map as long as there are lots of roads to get around and lots of hills to obstruct visibility.
The hills are low enough to obstruct the road-system behind them, that’s important, but they are not high enough to have a fortified battle-line.

Basically, I’m trying to design the map that makes it almost impossible to just sit and wait for the enemy by blocking all of the roads.

Each end of the map has roughly seven-to-eight roads leading from each end and the unlevel terrain makes it impossible to know where the enemies will pop-up!

I think that I’m going to by-pass on any creeks and streams for now, but that might change later on down the road.

davinci
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Ok, well good luck with it!
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

The latest update:
The attachment Pic1.jpg is no longer available
The ten-mile-map is being tested with approximately 39,000 troops per side with each side having a battery unit composing of six pieces.

Due to the LOS of the artillery units, they seem to affect the FPS in the game, due to their constant searching of targets at longer ranges. My Opinion Only!

The map now has five-hundred-sixty-five houses, cabins, barns, woodsheds, and outhouses, along with three-thousand worm-fences, and several hundred other fences.

The reduced viewing distance seems to allow this while not completely bringing down the FPS in the game, due to the fact that it only draws what is near.

The FPS during these test are between 6-12 with the lower number representing a lot of the units moving at the same time, such as marching around the map!

Once the fighting starts the FPS will stay at approximately 7-10 depending on what is viewed on the screen at that moment.

Basically, the-truth-be-told , this map will probably only appeal to a very small group of people!

At the end of all of this, it appears that these maps can be larger than thought, and have quite a large number of structures, fences, and fields while still being playable .

davinci
Attachments
Pic1.jpg
Pic1.jpg (431.99 KiB) Viewed 148 times