Skirmishers, a help or a futile formation?

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
Gfran64
Reactions:

Re:Skirmishers, a help or a futile formation?

Post by Gfran64 »

How does this sound guys,

Videttes were used as a very early warning system indicating an enemy advance by firing into the advancing troops at long range. Buford had these guys way out on every western and northern approach into GB. One of his Videttes opened up on Heth at over 800yds.

Pickets were used to set up a perimeter around a unit to warn of a surprise enemy attack but from a much closer range.

Skirmishers were really the equivalent of a probing jab in a fight. You're trying to get a feel for the enemy's disposition. How badly do they want this ground? How many more men have they got on the other side of that ridge? Also, you are trying to establish and fix the range of the enemy so your artillery could go to work. Remember that once artillery had the range to the target, it's fire was brutal. I don't think that TC2M really accounted for this. If a unit stays at or near one spot for a length of time, eventually the artillery is going to find the range and when they do, that stationary unit is going to have hell to pay. Every shot from artillery on a fixed target should become more lethal. Skirmishers also delayed the advance of the enemy. They just had to be dealt with and it was going to cost you some men in the process and it was hard to hit them. That is why they were almost always used.

So suggestions for the new game. Cavalry gets videttes and can place them way out on roads/etc. and say it costs you a company of men, but you get some early intel. To recall them costs you a half a company of men until they all get back.

For a stationary unit in the woods, have a deploy pickets key and it costs you 1 company for the front and one for the back. No hit for the recall as when the shooting would start they would just fall back into the unit but you get say 75yds notice that the enemy is nearing your position.

I don't think that the skirmish formation should take an entire regiment to cover a brigade's frontage. The 2nd day of Gettysburg about one half of the 5th NJ was deployed in a skirmish line west of the Emmitsburg Road and they covered the better part of the front of Humphreys' division. The rest of the 5th NJ was formed behind them in battle line. It is my understanding that skirmish lines used 2 or 3 companies to leapfrog each other going backwards toward the main regiment. I also think that the skirmishing unit should not take a big moral hit. They had every intention of joining back up with their unit. It wasn't a suicide mission.

Just my thoughts,B)

Greg
Last edited by Gfran64 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Re:Skirmishers, a help or a futile formation?

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Bravo!
Hancock the Superb