Melee Bug

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
X Navy Seal
Reactions:

Re: Melee Bug

Post by X Navy Seal »

You can believe whatever you want to soldier and I could really care less. I am just tired of you accusing me of things which call into question my honesty - especially in a public forum - which is the only reason I am bothering to respond.

This is what happened:

1) I mentioned in my team's TS channel that I thought the particular player I was fighting against was using the melee bug.

2) One of my team members said that they thought that same player had used the melee bug against them in one of the games on the previous night.

3) I then typed in the chat box for both sides to see, that I thought this player was using the melee bug.

4) I then started to use the melee bug myself.

5) I then heard Shaka saying he was being overrun by you at the top of Benner's.

6) I then turned around and saw your division meleeing with him, with every one of his units being routed.

7) Because I had typed in the chat box for both sides to see a few mins ago, and because I saw Shaka's entire division being shattered, I assumed that you too were using the melee bug.

8) I then ran up the hill and engaged you in melee, using the bug.

9) You then entered our channel and started flipping out.

10) You then quit the game.

11) I then ended the game.

Get all that? Understand? Stop pouting!
Last edited by X Navy Seal on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: everyone should be every one - lol
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Keep it friendly gentlemen. I don't want any War's of MP Aggression started in this thread. :laugh:
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

This is a bump that will get worked out. Mp community is a good community that will get through this. An honor system is a noble system that will work when everyone appreciates it.

Seal you should think about something and that is a few of us used to stick up for you around here and don't anymore. Soldier still sticks up for you and if you were smart you would learn and listen. Listening means "shut up."
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

When Norb gets around to this issue, it would be an excellent opportunity to get rid of 95% of the melees that happen in the game. Very few happened in combat and that should be reflected in this game.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

You can believe whatever you want to soldier and I could really care less. I am just tired of you accusing me of things which call into question my honesty - especially in a public forum - which is the only reason I am bothering to respond.

This is what happened:

1) I mentioned in my team's TS channel that I thought the particular player I was fighting against was using the melee bug.

2) One of my team members said that they thought that same player had used the melee bug against them in one of the games on the previous night.

3) I then typed in the chat box for both sides to see, that I thought this player was using the melee bug.

4) I then started to use the melee bug myself.

5) I then heard Shaka saying he was being overrun by you at the top of Benner's.

6) I then turned around and saw your division meleeing with him, with everyone of his units being routed.

7) Because I had typed in the chat box for both sides to see a few mins ago, and because I saw Shaka's entire division being shattered, I assumed that you too were using the melee bug.

8) I then ran up the hill and engaged you in melee, using the bug.

9) You then entered our channel and started flipping out.

10) You then quit the game.

11) I then ended the game.

Get all that? Understand? Stop pouting!
I sent 4000 men (my entire division) against Shaka's right flank. He (Shaka) had 2600 men, and at least 4 of his regiments were engaged on your right flank against Butler's division. You were doing your normal division column charge against Baylor. JimCrazy8's division was on your left flank. So we had 4 divisions versus you and Shaka. And I had 8 regiments versus Shaka's 3, maybe 4. I formed up my whole division in assault columns, fixed bayonets, and charged the stone walls on Benner's Hill. I used the attack march button on RebBugler's MP toolbar. I certainly overwhelmed Shake, but I didn't do it in 15 seconds. I never once hit the charge button; I let them autocharge.

You get yourself in a completely untenable position and then think someone must be using the exploit to whip you. So you get mad and start using it on Baylor, and then after Shaka retreats, you assume my 4,000 men shouldn't have beaten Shaka's less than 1500 men so easily, so you decide to come over and use the exploit against me.

I saw it coming a mile away. When you broke my regiment in less than 10 seconds, I ended the game (I forgot you were hosting) and came to your channel and told you I wasn't going to play if you are going to cheat and use the exploit every time you started losing.

I never saw your chat messages.

I'm not pouting. I'm telling it like it is/was.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

A possible interim solution - try playing with a higher courier setting. Although a courier ordering 'charge' will be spawned every time you click the 'charge' button, the time delay between you as the general and the regiment will probably help alot with this problem.

Sure, if you are right beside the regiment it wont, but you cant be everywhere at once :)
Last edited by con20or on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

When Norb gets around to this issue, it would be an excellent opportunity to get rid of 95% of the melees that happen in the game. Very few happened in combat and that should be reflected in this game.
Well. . . I rarely try to get into melees. In the game last night, Robinson's division was very far from Shaka's flank, and we had 4 divisions versus 2. I charged from the base of Culps up onto the stone walls on Benner's, a tough place to attack, but since I had such a numbers advantage on Shaka, I decided to give him a choice: stay and face my 4000 veterans coming at him like a bat out of hell, or run away. He stayed, probably not wanting to leave Seal's flank in the wind. He should have ran.

My point is that I like commanders having to make hard choices, so I think doing away with 95% of melees is a bit too extreme.

I think the best fix would be to make fire under 50 yards so devastating that you will think twice about closing to melee. And if you hit the charge button from more than 50 yards, your boys will be cut to pieces before they can engage in melee, or if the enemy is beaten down, they better run or face the consequences.

And actually, I think the melee bug is causing most of us to avoid melee as much as possible.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mb213
Reactions:

Post by mb213 »

I have been following this thread (though I have not played much post bug) and believe we need to move cautiously forward. I have enjoyed playing MP in part due to the quality of the game, but more so due to the quality of the players. Over the past year you gentlemen have all exhibited supreme sportsmanship and genuine concern for the game and the community. Until this bug is fixed we must rely on each other to up hold the qualities and virtues of honesty and sportsmanship we have all exhibited in the past, and we must guard against over reacting. The bug will be fixed and we will move on, hopefully with few self-inflicted scars. Oh and for what it worth I think the bug also exists in sandbox single play. I was doing a historical OOB sandbox game getting overrun by countless Union masses- a nasty sea of blue, and decided to see if the melee bug worked in single play. My NC regiment, quite tired, numbering 130 men routed a PA regiment of 450 with several (multiple) clicks on the charge button. Moral of the story; I cheated myself, and still lost my sandbox game.
"Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann"
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

KG_Soldier wrote:
I think the best fix would be to make fire under 50 yards so devastating that you will think about closing to melee. And if you hit the charge button from more than 50 yards, your boys will be cut to pieces before they can engage in melee, or if the enemy is beaten down, they better run or face the consequences.
Charging should always be allowed, it was an oft used tactic. However, in nearly every charge, the defenders either fell back, or the attacker either stopped midway and began firing or fell back themselves.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

Georgia and Soldier are right on. Soldiers solution of making under 50yards very deadly would help. Isn't that possible by just using the "rifles" table? Couldn't we implement that now?