Were First Nations part of the ACW?

Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Were First Nations part of the ACW?

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi.

Well since I don't trust what I read in any Wiki Document, I am wondering if their were any First Nation regiments that saw action during the American Civilwar?

Just wondering...
Shirkon
Reactions:

Re: Were First Nations part of the ACW?

Post by Shirkon »

Hi.

Well since I don't trust what I read in any Wiki Document, I am wondering if their were any First Nation regiments that saw action during the American Civilwar?

Just wondering...
What exactly do you mean by First Nation? Are you referring to native Americans?
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Sherman, December 1863, remark to a Tennessee woman.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Hi Shirkon.

Yep, sure am. I was just wondering if they had a hand in the fighting or not.

Cheers, and take care!
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

Hi Shirkon.

Yep, sure am. I was just wondering if they had a hand in the fighting or not.

Cheers, and take care!
At the Battle of Pea Ridge/Elkhorn Tavern, March 6-8, 1862 there were about 800 Cherokee in the Confederate forces. The only even semi-organized native American forces was the First Indian Brigade in the Confederate Army of the Trans-Mississippi and were under General Stand Watie a Cherokee chief. General Stand Watie was the last Confederate general to surrender to Union forces on June 23, 1865.

I'm sure there were members of the eastern tribes enlisted but not in separate brigades. It seems to me that there would have been many Seneca Indians in some of the New York regiments. There were only 2 Native Americans that made general rank on either side though. Stand Watie for the Confederates and Eli Parker of the Seneca tribe who served on U. S. Grant's staff. I do know that Parker tried to raise a regiment of Iroquois at the beginning of the war but Governor Morgan of New York refused them.
Last edited by Shirkon on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over.

Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Hi Shirkon.

Thank you Sir. You know that is very interesting. Would you happen to have a trusted website I could visit about these things? I'm always interested in information on the First Nations.

Again thank You.
Shirkon
Reactions:

Post by Shirkon »

Hi Shirkon.

Thank you Sir. You know that is very interesting. Would you happen to have a trusted website I could visit about these things? I'm always interested in information on the First Nations.

Again thank You.
Try here for Stand Watie: [url=http://]http://www.civilwarhome.com/watiebio.htm[/url]

and here for Eli Parker: [url=http://]http://www.parkerareatourism.com/commun ... parker.htm[/url]

And here for Cherokee military units during the Civil War: [url=http://]http://www.thepeoplespaths.net/history/CherConfed.htm[/url]
Last edited by Shirkon on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Hi Shirkon.

Thanks, some very good reading there.

Cheers, and thanks again.
Connecticuts8th
Reactions:

Post by Connecticuts8th »

Also, there's some pretty wild stories about what happened to the Civilized Tribes in Indian Territory when the Army went east to fight in the war instead of giving them some basic protection.

We'll just say the Comanche weren't too fond of "Civilized Indians", it was pretty horrific.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

In my readings of the eastern battles there are several mentionings of east coast Indians fighting in regiment with the AOP. I don't know of any particular records or specific histories. It seems when they fought it was in the regular volunteer regiments.
Keeler
Reactions:

Post by Keeler »

In addition to what has been said

The uprisings on the Great Plains. Responses to fraud and mismanagement by US Agents led to a series of massacres, attacks, and battles. Many paroled Union soldiers wound up serving here, so as not to violate their terms. Also led to one of the most shameful moments in US history, the massacre at Sand Creek.

The fighting in the Indian Territory/Oklahoma. Confederates attempted to organize the relocated nations against the Union, but most became bitterly split over whom to support and an internal power struggle began. Albert Pike led these efforts and wound up organizing Indian forces that fought at Pea Ridge. A series of battles secured Indian Territory for the Union.

The Southwest. Fighting with the Apaches threatened communications with the precious metal mines of Arizona and New Mexico, as well as California.

Check out the Civil War in the American West, Alvin M. Josephy
"Thank God, I thought it was a New York Regiment." - Major J.A. Blair, 2nd Mississippi, upon learning he had surrendered his command to the 6th Wisconsin.

I was not a Wisconsin soldier, and have not been honorably discharged, but at the judgment day I want to be with Wisconsin soldiers. -John Gibbon, responding to a reunion invitation.