Beyond McPherson's Ridge

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re:Beyond McPherson's Ridge

Post by RebBugler »

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:
RebBugler wrote:
Drats, so this is a new one, pertaining to battery commanders.
I have seen this several times with the latest patch. This happens when charging a battery. If the battery commander is in the path of the regiment he will run away, sometimes using the same path as the charging regiment. The regiment moves a bit faster than the commander, catches up and kills him. The new commander is re-spawned just ahead of the charging regiment and uses the same path as his predecessor with the same result. This scenario repeats until the regiment finally veers from this course. I once chased a battery commander over 100 yards to his battery and racked up many kills.

It should be an easy fix.
Great info, Thanks, and a Greatly Appreciated
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Re: Beyond McPherson's Ridge

Post by Blaugrana »

Hoorah !

Finally managed to score over 4000 on this scenario, with the help of all brigades. It felt much easier from the start, so I'm guessing the variant I got was easier all round, not just because of everyone showing up.

I then fought it again, to prove I could do it on a harder variant and ... I failed again. I got both objectives before the ridge one disappeared, managed to keep a regiment and commander on each objective (their wandering off has lost me points in the past) and had loads of Union regiments running away but still couldn't clock up 4,000...

BTW: Does Archer have a death wish? He has managed to get himself killed or captured every time I've played this scenario. Does this cost me a lot? Perhaps I should tie him down well in the rear??

On to greater battles (though I feel I might keep having to return to this one - great scenario).

Happy New Year,

Jeff
MajorMajor
Reactions:

Post by MajorMajor »

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. No matter what I do, Archer gets captured and/or killed. I looked up the historical Archer and found that he was in fact captured. So, I don't know if there is anything that can be done to save the guy in the game.

"I only take visitors when I am not in."
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. No matter what I do, Archer gets captured and/or killed. I looked up the historical Archer and found that he was in fact captured. So, I don't know if there is anything that can be done to save the guy in the game.
Yep, there's no saving poor Archer.. After capture he was brought to his old friend General Abner Doubleday. Doubleday warmly greeted him by saying, " Good morning Archer! How are you? I am glad to see you!". Archer replied "Well, I am not glad to see you, by a damn sight!"
charlesonmission
Reactions:

Post by charlesonmission »

Hi there,

I've played about 10 times now (always on historical settings) as I prefer couriers. My high score is about 700. I've read some of the advice in this thread, and am wondering one thing. I have to take the 1st location (on the left) before the victory marker moves across the railroad cut. As I'm playing historical, I was moving the artillery and Heth to the left to help Davis. I can usually take that, but can never than get across the railroad cut and coordinate an attack with Archer (or whomever took over). Should I try to move the artillery to Archer in the beginning, or take the 2nd victory location before taking the 1st and hope that Davis can take it on his own without me there? Any thoughts?

Charles
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Hi there,

I've played about 10 times now (always on historical settings) as I prefer couriers. My high score is about 700. I've read some of the advice in this thread, and am wondering one thing. I have to take the 1st location (on the left) before the victory marker moves across the railroad cut. As I'm playing historical, I was moving the artillery and Heth to the left to help Davis. I can usually take that, but can never than get across the railroad cut and coordinate an attack with Archer (or whomever took over). Should I try to move the artillery to Archer in the beginning, or take the 2nd victory location before taking the 1st and hope that Davis can take it on his own without me there? Any thoughts?

Charles
Definitely move the artillery to support Archer. Davis can take the OBJ on the left by himself (it's crucial that he does). Stay clear of that Union battery to the left of the railroad cut, flank when you can, and that OBJ should fall into your hands pretty easily. Get the points, then send Davis over the cut to support Archer.. Remember, use your artillery, flank, flank some more, charge if you have to, and you'll beat it..

And kudos for trying this using couriers. That has to make a hard scenario near impossible. Let me know how you do.
charlesonmission
Reactions:

Post by charlesonmission »

Oh, I didn't know that I didn't have to be there to take the objective, that's good to know.
Wraith7216
Reactions:

Post by Wraith7216 »

Just wondering, if at the beginning of the scenario if you send a courier to Hill asking for more infantry, will that bring Pettigrew any quicker or make any difference at all?
Those who turn their swords into plowshares generally end up plowing for the people who kept their swords..
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Just wondering, if at the beginning of the scenario if you send a courier to Hill asking for more infantry, will that bring Pettigrew any quicker or make any difference at all?
That won't make a difference at all.
Last edited by Little Powell on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wraith7216
Reactions:

Post by Wraith7216 »

Thnx, still picking up the tricks of the trade so to speak lol. So is the reinforcement requests by courier only for MP games?
Those who turn their swords into plowshares generally end up plowing for the people who kept their swords..