Artillery Targets

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
born2see
Reactions:

Artillery Targets

Post by born2see »

Is there an easy way to figure out where the unit is which your artillery is targeting? I know a red target appears over the targeted unit but in large engagements it's hard to find them. I was hoping I could double-click on the target box but no such luck.

I did read the manual and the Willard thread but didn't see anything there.

Thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Artillery Targets

Post by RebBugler »

Is there an easy way to figure out where the unit is which your artillery is targeting? I know a red target appears over the targeted unit but in large engagements it's hard to find them. I was hoping I could double-click on the target box but no such luck.

I did read the manual and the Willard thread but didn't see anything there.

Thanks
Upper left hand corner: Primary Target...
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Upper left hand corner: Primary Target...

Keeping you busy tonight, RB. Remember you and others encouraged me to ask questions... :)

What I meant was how can I find the target on the field? For example if the Primary Target is the 47th Carolina, and I want to go look at them on the field to see what formation they're in, is the load I'm using having any effect, are they a threat, I have to go hunt around for units with the Red Cross over them. It's pretty easy if they're a couple of hundred yards away but if they're 800 it's sometimes hard to find them. It would be nice if there was something comparable to the "Go" command or better yet a double-click on the Primary Target which would take you there.

I'm open to the possibility that this doesn't matter to most people because they know what they're doing and I don't. Please don't hesitate to tell me that in your civilized and gentlemanly way.

Thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Yeah, there's no 'go to Primary Target'. Might be possible to code in, but I doubt if the demand is there. We already have a long list of features for Norb to filter through and address for our next feature release...need I say more? :unsure:

Unless, a bunch of folks hit this thread and jump on your band wagon...anything's possible. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Cpt T
Reactions:

Post by Cpt T »

Hello everyone, I am new to the game and having the same problem. Thus I am in the forums looking for help. A go to target button or a system of highlighting your selected units target would be nice.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Cpt T wrote:
Hello everyone, I am new to the game and having the same problem. Thus I am in the forums looking for help. A go to target button or a system of highlighting your selected units target would be nice.
Welcome, Cpt T. Hope you're enjoying the game.

RB is right. You're probably not going to see this particular change. What I've found is it's only an issue for artillery because of the range at which they fire. Most of the time your targets are right in front of you, for better or for worse.

One thing I do is remove the terrain features temporarily by using the "T" key and raising the camera angle higher and to the rear. This allows a clearer, although not as pleasing, view of the battlefield.

Also, if you're concerned about a particular enemy unit and it's not being targeted you can take over the targeting (for artillery) yourself. I would also recommend you read Willard's post on the use of artillery.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/index.php?op ... Itemid=124

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good group of people here.

B