We want those guns

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:We want those guns

Post by Little Powell »

Thresher wrote:
Little Powell wrote:
Thresher wrote:
Has anyone beaten GB-11 on normal since patch 1.10 was released?
There really hasn't been any changes that would effect the scenarios like that... The only thing that would have effected them some was the artillery enhancements, but those were made in the 2nd Beta Patch.

I'll give it a run this afternoon and see if I can give you some tips. It's been a while since I've played it, so I can't remember anything specific.
Thanks LP,

I wouldn't have thought so, but I'm grasping at straws here. I'm no armchair general, but the shear number of times I've tried this and the suggested strat's I've employed by victors of this scenario still leave me woefully short of the VP conditions.

McLaws must prevail!
I saw your post in the other thread, were you able to beat it on Normal? If not I've got some tips for you if you still need some help.

I just got a 8,400 Major Victory on normal. :)
John Buford
Reactions:

Post by John Buford »

No I haven't beat it.. I was just planning ahead :P

Wow LP.. 8400?
Last edited by John Buford on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They will attack you in the morning and they will come booming–skirmishers three deep. You will have to fight like the devil until supports arrive."
- General John Buford at Gettysburg.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Thresher wrote:
No I haven't beat it.. I was just planning ahead :P

Wow LP.. 8400?
Well first and foremost, there are several variants in this scenario ranging from challenging, to REALLY hard, so each time you play the difficulty level may be drastically different.

Also, a lot depends on how much help you get from Anderson from Hoods division when he attacks the Wheat Field.

And finally, how did you make out in GB07? If you got your butt kicked, Anderson is going to be really beat up and won't be much help.

But regardless, I played it twice today. The first time, I must have gotten one of the hard variants because the Yankees in the Peach Orchard we very aggressive. It took three of my four brigades to take the Peach Orchard Objective, and you need to be able to take it with two brigades.. If not, you won't have enough men to take the Wheatfield Objective because you're pretty much going to lose an entire brigade there because it's heavily guarded by infantry and artillery. I didn't have enough men to take the Wheatfield, so I ended up with 5,000 something points.

Now for the Major Victory: - My second try.

The Yankees weren't as aggressive in the Peach Orchard. I was able to take it with Barksdale and Wofford. Also remember to utilize your artillery. Move them a little closer to the action at the beginning (but not too close) and when you take the Peach Orchard, move a battery there just in case the Yankees decide to counter attack (it also makes a good firing platform).

While this is going on, you need to have Kershaw and Semmes attacking the Wheat Field Objective. It's hard to manage two battles at once, but just switch back and forth as often as you can. If you see any stationary Yankee brigades between the Peach Orchard and The Wheatfield, leave them alone (they are preparing for their counter attack that comes later). If one of your regiments attacks them, it will really piss them off and you need to save your men and points....

If you time it right, you can attack the wheatfield with Kershaw and Semmes just as Anderson is attacking. Again, once you get in the Wheatfield, there's a large Yankee battery there that will pretty much take out one of your brigades. Once it's gone, set up defense positions around the OBJ facing North. Also move one of your batteries into the Wheatfield after you clear it. There will be a huge Yankee counter attack near the end.

Also if you fail on taking the Wheatfield with Kershaw and Semmes, double quick one of your brigades that are holding the Peach Orchard to assist. They aren't doing anything anyway, just sitting on the Peach Orchard OBJ. With three brigades, it should be a piece of cake.. And again, be prepared for the Yankee counter attack at the end.

In conclusion, this strategy is basically how it happened historically. The Rebels were very aggressive that day, and you have to be too.. It's all about being quick in taking the OBJ's (charge/melee when you can, capture artillery) and hold them as long as you can. Holding both of those OBJ's will rack you up 200 points a minute, making 8,000+ points possible.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)

A pic I took just before the MV. Notice the Yankee counter attack, but I'm still holding strong.. Sorry for the smoke, but I had just sped up time. :)

http://www.norbsoftdev.com/media/kunena ... en0031.jpg[/img_size]
Attachments
screen0031.jpg
screen0031.jpg (162.57 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Last edited by Little Powell on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Buford
Reactions:

Post by John Buford »

Thanks LP, I'll keep working on it. :blink:

I scored a 5089 with GB07. Gave them Yanks a good lick'in. But Anderson has been little help directly on my right in ALL the attempts at GB11. I can only remember 1 attempt where I saw some of Hood's boyz coming towards the wheatfield from the east I believe... and I always see Yanks controlling the Roundtops, which I took in GB07.

That leads to a question.. is it possible to see the resultant OOB/Casualty report from a previous scenario?

I really appreciate the help and I hope this dialogue will help others.

Thanks!
"They will attack you in the morning and they will come booming–skirmishers three deep. You will have to fight like the devil until supports arrive."
John Buford
Reactions:

Post by John Buford »

Finally! 7778.

I'm such a conscript! What I was doing wrong all along was bringing Kershaw and Semmes in line too far left of Anderson. :S

Well, at least I got hours and hours and hours of humility training.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Thresher wrote:

That leads to a question.. is it possible to see the resultant OOB/Casualty report from a previous scenario?

No, you can only see your previous scores on the high scores screen.. One thing you can do is setup the casualty info command on your keyboard.csv. The command is called "dumpgamedb". You can assign it to any key, press it, and it dumps casualty info (among other info) to your Work folder.

And congrats on the win!! Yeah, moving Kershaw, Semmes too far left of Anderson would definitely make it harder. That line of Artillery posted on the Wheat Field Rd is murderous.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Little Powell wrote:
Also, a lot depends on how much help you get from Anderson from Hoods division when he attacks the Wheat Field.

And finally, how did you make out in GB07? If you got your butt kicked, Anderson is going to be really beat up and won't be much help.
What I'm hearing here is that Anderson is important to taking the WF. I beat GB07 but Anderson enters this one at about 50%. Is it worth replaying GB07 with protecting Anderson a priority so he's more effective or can it be beaten without doing that?

I know that's gamey but I'm getting whupped on this scenario time after time and I'm determined to beat it before I move on.

Thanks,

B
Last edited by born2see on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Little Powell wrote:

What I'm hearing here is that Anderson is important to taking the WF. I beat GB07 but Anderson enters this one at about 50%. Is it worth replaying GB07 with protecting Anderson a priority so he's more effective or can it be beaten without doing that?

I know that's gamey but I'm getting whupped on this scenario time after time and I'm determined to beat it before I move on.

Thanks,

B
If you're willing to go that route, I'd say go for it. Either way, this is one of the toughest scenarios (if not the toughest). If you follow my AAR a couple posts up, you should be able to beat it.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Little Powell wrote:
If you follow my AAR a couple posts up, you should be able to beat it.
I've been doing that. I even printed it out. I think my my problems have been Anderson, moving a couple of batteries towards the WF (against your advice) and not linking up Semmes and Kershaw with Anderson.

Also not switching back and forth enough has been a problem. It's easy to get wrapped up in one battle at the expense of another.

If I can't win my latest try which attempts to correct the above then I'll replay GB07.

I have to admit I did try to play GB07 by holding Anderson out completely and not worrying about the score (-371) but of course it took the result from my promoted score not my latest one. For a moment I had visions of starting GB11 with Anderson at full strength. Of course, it was all done in the spirit of wanting to see what would happen, not to gain an unfair advantage. :evil:
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam