Gods and Generals

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
born2see
Reactions:

Re: Gods and Generals

Post by born2see »

DavidAcheson140PVI wrote:

Well then guess im off the hook
Cool. So I thought Gods and Generals was OK. I liked the battles. The characters were cast well and Robert Duvall stole the show as Lee. However the dialog was really stilted, in my opinion, which made those scenes hard to watch. I'm not sure why they cut the scene with Jackson and the little girl. Wasn't any worse than any of the others. But it was head and shoulders above the Gettysburg movie by the Scotts. THAT was bad. :pinch:
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
30th PVI
Reactions:

Post by 30th PVI »

I don't think the Movie was to bad. Could have been worse. I think for the future, if they want to make a movie based on The Last Full Measure, they will have to do something along the lines of Band of Brothers. There is just to much time and info in the books to be put into even a 3 hour movie. I also think it would be good if they redid Gettysburg and God's & Generals in an HBO miniseries format. I think only then will you get the good action scenes as well as the storyline synced.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

~Matt
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Post by DavidAcheson140PVI »

Matt I really think that is a good idea to have it in a miniseries format because you are right it would have alot of information missing if it were in a movie format.
Virginians with me! Who will come with me?! - Lewis Armistead, July 3rd, 1863
Hinkel
Reactions:

Post by Hinkel »

Well, I think everybody should watch G&G in the new directors cut version.
Many things were added, like the battle of Antietam. So with the new DC, its actualy one of the best civil war movies! :)
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

it is released?
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

It's OK guys.......RB really isn't as much the hard-ass as is claimed. He's actually just an old softy .....then again at his age, everything's pretty soft! :cheer:

Sarge
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

I have seen it before but have never been on the recieving end of his rage. Born I want you to pray for me before my impending demise at the hands of the terrible wrath from Reb for my ignorance about this existing topic.
Oh please...stand your ground. :)
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

i have never seen it before (the movie) , but according to wikipedia, the directors cut DVD included all the footage that was chopped, 290 minutes apparently....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gods_and_Generals_(film)
Last edited by con20or on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

must check it out i guess.
WriterJWA
Reactions:

Post by WriterJWA »

The director and the screenwriters ruined what could have been an epic. The superb cinematography and battle scenes were wasted...and I understand they cut a lot of the action out so as to include more of that outrageous dialog. Alas...and I bought the DVD...maybe I'll edit it someday...heh heh heh.
...but just not on my todo list for now...
I was telling someone the other day that Gods and Generals, The Killer Angels, and The Last Full Measure need a Peter Jackson-esque treatment a la Lord of the Rings. It needs to be grandiose and spectacular. Same actors covering the same parts throughout. I mean, I LOVE Jeff Daniels as Chamberlain in Gettysburg, but he was a bit older in Gods and Generals and it showed. And since when would you have seen a fat infantry sergeant in the Confederate army after all the marching they did ... just from the Rappahannock River to southern Penn., as you did at the beginning of Gettysburg when Harrison comes through the line?

:P
"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."

"If you see the President, tell him from me that whatever happens there will be no turning back."

Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, 1864