AI / TC Question (New Player)

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
opuslife
Reactions:

AI / TC Question (New Player)

Post by opuslife »

Maybe silly and a bit fundamental, but after scouring the boards and looking through the manual, still a little unclear on the AI/TC button and its use (when AI/TC is ON under game control or OFF under MY control:
- Question 1: Default position - Normally LIT or UNLIT (unless fiddled with)? I presume that it's default state has it under its superior commanders control - Just hard to keep straight 'lit' or 'unlit'.
- Question 3: Unlit Meaning - (You get the drift... when I select it, I assume that I am 'Taking Control' of this until or batch of units under a given commander - I just can't keep straight whether I have control or not if the button is lit or unlit.)
- Question 4: Deselecting - Doesn't it resume being under the AI control of its superior commander? Or am I stuck operating that unit for the duration?

That's about it for the moment - enjoying having a good Civil War game again immensely. Still immersed in the Tutorials. Enjoying the long peaceful hours of game immersion.

Regards all,

Bob, Bristol RI
born2see
Reactions:

Re: AI / TC Question (New Player)

Post by born2see »

opuslife wrote:
I just can't keep straight whether I have control or not if the button is lit or unlit
Lit is under your control. Unlit is under AI control. I'm sure someone else will go through the nuances of the TC command.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Re: AI / TC Question (New Player)

Post by KG_Soldier »

Basically, taking control of a unit means turning the ai off. So if you hit the tc button, the light turns on, and that means the unit will not move unless you give it orders: brigade commander, regiment, cannon, division commander -- whichever.

If you do not tc a unit, it will take ai commands and/or issue ai commands to its subordinates.

The best example of this is a brigade commander. If left un-tc'd, the brigade commander will move his regiments into battle or defend or whatever he thinks is best, depending on what you have ordered him to do (if you're the division commander or higher). A tc'd brigade commander will not do anything on his own. If you give him a movement order, his regiments will move and form whichever formation you have ordered, but they will not maneuver into attack or defend positions.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.