Orders After Contact

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
born2see
Reactions:

Orders After Contact

Post by born2see »

I'm playing "On to the Round Tops" and I noticed some behavior I had questions about. I had TC'd Robertson's Brigade (please feel free to comment on my tactics) and sent him off to LRT. They ran into the 2nd US Sharpshooters along the way which were easily dispatched. Once the SS were routed Robertson moved on but the 5th Texas didn't. They were the only unit engaged and who took casualties. I assume this is by design.

My question is does this always happen and is there a way to keep them moving along with the brigade? And is this a result of my TC'ing Robertson? I guess I'm wondering if there is a "Patton" approach where you can head to a destination eliminating the opposition as you go.

As always, thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Orders After Contact

Post by RebBugler »

Since you TC'd Robinson, then the entire brigade should have moved. However, any regiment still engaged will not move, this is obviously what happened with the 5th Texas. Once unengaged, they will obey your brigade movement commands, otherwise, they'll just stand there, for a TC'd officer can't give orders, it's in your hands to move em while the officer is TC'd.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

RebBugler wrote:
Once unengaged, they will obey your brigade movement commands, otherwise, they'll just stand there, for a TC'd officer can't give orders, it's in your hands to move em while the officer is TC'd.
Thanks RB. That explains it. So I guess if I want to keep a brigade moving I better keep them away from the action along the way if I can.
Last edited by born2see on Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

RebBugler wrote:
Once unengaged, they will obey your brigade movement commands, otherwise, they'll just stand there, for a TC'd officer can't give orders, it's in your hands to move em while the officer is TC'd.
Thanks RB. That explains it. So I guess if I want to keep a brigade moving I better keep them away from the action along the way if I can.
Yep, Exactly.

You're going about this right. UnTC'd Brig COs get distracted and rarely will reach their destination in a timely manner. Sometimes they will chase down a lone enemy regiment and NEVER arrive to their order's destination. Once they get to their orders destination and become engaged where you want them, you can safely turn off TC and let them do the job at hand. The more experienced the officer and units, the better they will do without you having to micromanage.

Kinda like JEB showing up late the evening of the 2nd braggin about the Yankee plundering he had done, leaving Lee blind and mostly ineffective not knowing the enemy's strength and whereabouts. Then ol' JEB, bitter at his unappreciation, blew his chance to help on East Cavalry Field by committing less than half of his troopers, got a bloody nose by Custer's greenhorns, turned greenhornets...and...history knows the rest.

Lee should have TC'd ol' JEB about mid June, 1863.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Info
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

RebBugler wrote:
Kinda like JEB showing up late the evening of the 2nd braggin about the Yankee plundering he had done, leaving Lee blind and mostly ineffective not knowing the enemy's strength and whereabouts. Then ol' JEB, bitter at his unappreciation, blew his chance to help on East Cavalry Field by committing less than half of his troopers, got a bloody nose by Custer's greenhorns, turned greenhornets...and...history knows the rest.

Lee should have TC'd ol' JEB about mid June, 1863.
Seems like it was a rough three days for the good guys, oops,uuhhh... The South. Lee wasn't well served by his subordinates although he has to take some of the blame himself.