What Triggers a Retreat?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
born2see
Reactions:

What Triggers a Retreat?

Post by born2see »

As I play larger scenarios I notice some units will take off even though their Morale and Fatigue are still pretty good. I'm wondering what other factors contribute to this behavior? I've read the manual and I know the obvious reasons but I'm curious about the more subtle factors and what to look for when assessing your units.

Thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
DavidAcheson140PVI
Reactions:

Re: What Triggers a Retreat?

Post by DavidAcheson140PVI »

I have wondered that as well and I cant help you but maybe the more replies the better chance someone will help
Virginians with me! Who will come with me?! - Lewis Armistead, July 3rd, 1863
Damned Black Hat
Reactions:

Post by Damned Black Hat »

I remember reading that units will rout when they suffer about 50% casualties or so. This isn't always the case, as I have seen some units fight to the last man (although this was always in TC2M that happened).
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

I remember reading that units will rout when they suffer about 50% casualties or so.
You know, now that you mention it, that may well be the case. I'll look at that next time, although you would think that would affect the Morale significantly.

Speaking of Damned Black Hats, I just finished the Rodes scenario where he has to take McPherson's Farm. Those were some tough hombres! I read they withdrew that day after suffering a 66% casualty rate. 1800 started and only 600 withdrew.
Last edited by born2see on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Damned Black Hat
Reactions:

I remember reading that units will rout when they suffer about 50% casualties or so.
You know, now that you mention it, that may well be the case. I'll look at that next time, although you would think that would affect the Morale significantly.

Speaking of Damned Black Hats, I just finished the Rodes scenario where he has to take McPherson's Farm. Those were some tough hombres! I read they withdrew that day after suffering a 66% casualty rate. 1800 started and only 600 withdrew.
If units are dishing out punishment, remain in good defensive terrain and have the leadership bonus and support, they can fight until they reach the rout limits and leave only by the game's code. Of course, the veteran units are much more likely to retain this sort of good order.

The 24th Michigan went into action at Gettysburg on July 1st with 496 men. The next morning at Culp's Hill, 99 men answered roll call. Five color bearers had been killed and every single member of the color guard was a casualty.

Norb certainly did a good job with the Iron Brigade in this game, they will absolutely eradicate the johnnies if used well.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Norb certainly did a good job with the Iron Brigade in this game, they will absolutely eradicate the johnnies if used well.
The first time I played that scenario, I tried to stand a fight with them and got my butt kicked. The second time I grabbed as many points as I could before they swung into action and then went after Doubleday's guys. I looked at a map afterwords and that was the historical thing to do. I did it because I didn't want to face them again. :(
Damned Black Hat
Reactions:

The first time I played that scenario, I tried to stand a fight with them and got my butt kicked. The second time I grabbed as many points as I could before they swung into action and then went after Doubleday's guys. I looked at a map afterwords and that was the historical thing to do. I did it because I didn't want to face them again. :(
They're also among the select few Union troops that will send you on your way if you attempt to column charge them. Hell, several times when I've used them they decided to fix bayonets without my orders!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

There are several factors that cause a retreat. From fatigue, casualties, experience of the regiment, etc. There's also a random factor in there; basically there is a dice roll that could cause a regiment to retreat very early. Also, regiments are more likely to retreat when they see their peer regiments retreating.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

Glad to see there are lots of possible causes.

When some of my units have run away I have suspected that I've hit the Retreat button by accident when desperately stabbing at the Withdraw button ...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

When some of my units have run away I have suspected that I've hit the Retreat button by accident when desperately stabbing at the Withdraw button ...
I think a commander has ordered a retreat because someone was desperately stabbing at him... ;)