Best strategy for the Angle or Armistead scenario

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
kaplan71
Reactions:

Best strategy for the Angle or Armistead scenario

Post by kaplan71 »

Hi there --

I am playing the Angle or Armistead scenario, and I am trying to come up with a winning strategy for it. So far, I have moved my brigade into position in front of the copse of trees in column line formation. My plan is to wait for the rest of Pickett's division to attack along with support from other units.

The problem that I am having is when I first move my regiments forward at the double-quick and then charge, at least one if not two get captured or routed. After that, the remaining regiments cannot hold onto the objective.

My questions are the following:

1. Is having the brigade in the column line formation the correct method, or should I try a different one?

2. When is it the right time to advance at the double-quick and then charge the copse of trees?

3. Do I have to rout or cause to retreat all enemy regiments in the area, or is my simply getting my brigade to the copse enough?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Best strategy for the Angle or Armistead scenario

Post by Little Powell »

It's been a while since I've played this one but from what I remember; there is no real strategy.. It's just about holding on for dear life.. You have to go up against incredible odds and change history. Get to the OBJ as soon as you can (even if you have little support). And I would advise against staying in column formation because regiments take more artillery casualties in column (think of a cannonball rolling over the soldiers like they are bowling pins). Double line would be best.
Last edited by Little Powell on Thu May 26, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Best strategy here...what you're already doing - Use Your Friendlies

Keep your regiments fresh and from routing by alternating them in and out of the action...hide behind your friendlies whenever possible...hope Armistead didn't hear me. :whistle: Also, use the walls!

Plus, you must activate the objective in a timely manner...do the math, and, don't count on engagement points...figure a big negative there.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
privatewilley
Reactions:

Post by privatewilley »

I just played this one and scored a MV 11353. Like Reb Bugler says, use your friendlies. Try to follow them to the objective and hang on for dear life. You will still take heavy casualties trying to hold the obj.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

This is more of a comment than a question and it comes from one whose best score here is 6223. It seems to me you have to have the objective by 15 minutes into the scenario. Like RB said, do the math. It took me 5 minutes to get there in columns on the double. I tried waiting for the friendlies but they just fiddle-farted around. No serious help there. Charged my whole brigade and had the objective but it cost me 775 casualties. My regiments were a wreck and probably not going to hold on for 45 or 50 minutes no matter what I did.

I guess I do have a question: Am I on the right track here or is there another strategy?
I just played this one and scored a MV 11353.
PW: How in the heck did you do that? Please share your secrets. I need help.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

With each play, and during play, your friendlies attack differently, pick your best friendly wave and ride it. Without their help, you're doomed. Hint, you don't need to start over to assess your friendlies.

Also, stay out of canister range the duration.
Last edited by RebBugler on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Info
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Thanks guys. Finally won this sucker. :P
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam