Why is the General in the front?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
charlesonmission
Reactions:

Why is the General in the front?

Post by charlesonmission »

Hi, first post here, just got the game.

I did a tutorial (the brigade one) and when I sent brigade to a place, the general went out in front. Which sort of seems unlrealistic (except in special situations). I thought a brigadier general would normally stay behind the front lines. Am I missing something here?

Charles
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Why is the General in the front?

Post by Little Powell »

Hi, first post here, just got the game.

I did a tutorial (the brigade one) and when I sent brigade to a place, the general went out in front. Which sort of seems unlrealistic (except in special situations). I thought a brigadier general would normally stay behind the front lines. Am I missing something here?

Charles
Hello and welcome to the SOWGB community.

This is one of those things that falls into the grey area of realism vs. enjoyable gameplay. A brigades movement is dependent on the brigade commander so if he were to always be well behind the lines of his regiments, it would be very hard to line-up your troops where you want them. Notice that when he arrives at his destination in firing range of an enemy and is under AI control (un-TC'd), then he will always want move behind his regiments. He will typically move right behind the regiment that is not doing so well to offer his commander bonus.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

I have the same problem. I'm playing the first of the new beginner scenarios and I have LOTS of questions but the one which pertains to this thread is my commander, Col Nadenbousch, is sitting on his horse probably ten yards from the enemy. He might as well be reviewing the troops. How do I get him back to the rest of his troops without moving everybody? He must be blessed because he should be shot through of holes. Kind of reminds me of Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves where he's riding up and down the rebel line and nobody can hit him. Thanks
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Drummerboy
Reactions:

Post by Drummerboy »

born, just move your pointer to where you want him to be placed and click. He will move to that spot and his troops will stay put, as long as you don`t click on any of the formation buttons.
Last edited by Drummerboy on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I would also go through the first tutorial. It will teach you the basics of moving your commanders and troops. You'll definitely want to master at least the first tutorial before you take on any scenarios.
born2see
Reactions:

Post by born2see »

Thanks guys. You're right LP. I need to master the basics first. Thanks for putting it so diplomatically.
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Also, in the tutorials, the Commanders are immune to enemy fire. In the game, they are not. Just a tip so as not to get too cocky with your commanders. Especially if it's you.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"