Playing the Original MP Game

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
SouthernSteel
Reactions:

Re: Playing the Original MP Game

Post by SouthernSteel »

Only Garnier is allowed to touch the sacred text...spreadsheets.

Really, it's more of a shame that the original settings have been ruined, but c'est la vie.

Might be interesting if we get the other campaign going as well (Missouri, I think?) to use historical units in that.
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Whipped up a quickie, all 160 yd maximum ranges are now 200. Install as mod.

Musket_Range_200 Ready for Download...To Arms

I think just the host must have it enabled, but I may be wrong. Help LP.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rar to Zip
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

RB,

Good job. Am going to run the mod in a bit to test the ranges. Question - How effective are the rifle-muskets at 200 yards in your mod? I own a 1853 pattern Enfield. I can hit a target at 500 yards using a rest on a windless day. However, given the average soldiers lack of training, yes they could hit something at 200 yards, but not much. NP if you haven't allowed for this.

Jack
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
SouthernSteel
Reactions:

Post by SouthernSteel »

Jack, I don't think those sorts of things are modifiable, at least not yet.

It wasn't done to be a historical change or anything, it was done so players like XNS can't roll their cannon up into the line like giant shotguns. A defensive position set up with cannon in the lines of infantry was essentially untouchable because 160 muskets never had a chance to compete with 200 yd cannister.
"The time for compromises is past, and we are now determined to maintain our position and make all who oppose us smell Southern powder, feel Southern steel."
Jefferson Davis, 1861
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

RB,

Good job. Am going to run the mod in a bit to test the ranges. Question - How effective are the rifle-muskets at 200 yards in your mod? I own a 1853 pattern Enfield. I can hit a target at 500 yards using a rest on a windless day. However, given the average soldiers lack of training, yes they could hit something at 200 yards, but not much. NP if you haven't allowed for this.

Jack
I only altered one column (Maximum) in the rifles.csv, effectiveness may be tweaked in the other columns...this is your baby, tweak at will...and presto, you're a modder. :woohoo:
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

So I can put the 200 yd. range mod in the mods and activate it and then unactivate it at will? Just like any other mod? Is this for MP play only or can it be used for Sandbox as well or is there a separate mod for sandbox already?
Last edited by RDBoles on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Move Forward
30th PVI
Reactions:

Post by 30th PVI »

I have messed around considerably with the rifle ranges and "accuracy". I even created the Whitworth Rifle (on some of the additional OOB's created from TCM2, I added a Rebel SS unit per brigade as noted historically and gave them the Whitworth). The Items that need tweeked to raise or lower casualty totals (at least from my testing) is to modify the rate of fire and the reliability. If you make the reliability high (like 85%) and the rate of fire low (like 2), your unit will tear up an opponants regiment. Think on one example I had a regiment of 85 soldiers armed with Whitworths (80% reliability/2 Rate of Fire)caused 150 casualties in about 10 seconds. Thus if you do opposite, it will decrease the ability.

Hope this helps.

Edit: also you have to take into account the ability of the unit. The ROF is the base and can be modified by the experience of the unit.

~Matt
Last edited by 30th PVI on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

So I can put the 200 yd. range mod in the mods and activate it and then unactivate it at will? Just like any other mod? Is this for MP play only or can it be used for Sandbox as well or is there a separate mod for sandbox already?
Yes and Yes...

Mods are universal now in most cases, MP, SP, Sandbox... Only stock scenarios cannot be modded or affected by mods, or else Generals' Stars would be cheap and easily gained.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

I downloaded the file, but am unable to open it. Isn't it just a word spreadsheet?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I downloaded the file, but am unable to open it. Isn't it just a word spreadsheet?
Yeah, Reb really needs to stop rarring everything.. ;)

Everyone can open a zip file, but you have to either have Winrar or 7-Zip to open a .Rar.