Improved Artillery Fire and Enfilade Fire Mod

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re:Improved? Artillery Fire and Enfilade Fire

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Boston wrote:
At present I don't know the most effective range for the different infantry weapons.
For the game, that information is in rifles.csv. The best range for most weapons is 60 yds. or less.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Marching Thru Georgia wrote:
RebBugler:
Feel free. :) The only problem that I see with that idea, is that the AI will never capture a battery on its own. I would also like to see the AI overrun a battery in the same manner as we do occasionally. Right now, the only way the AI can drive off the artillery is to have the infantry shoot it out with them. I certainly see the reason for your suggestion though. I've seen a number of brigades destroyed by 1 or 2 batteries. That's why I am lobbying for major game change by creating a new table.
Good points, how about if Norb throws in the random mix of 'attackmarch' column at a run when engaging guns at canister range? This is what I design often into my scenarios, and I always keep it random, so as to not be a boring and predictable 'everytime' type situation.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

RebBugler wrote:
Good points, how about if Norb throws in the random mix of 'attackmarch' column at a run when engaging guns at canister range?
That would work. If it was made somewhat random as you suggest, that would really make things interesting! Could there be a check to see if any enemy infantry is nearby, (~40 yds, since enemy inf. doesn't countercharge to regain the batteries), which would abort any charge attempt?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

RebBugler wrote:
Good points, how about if Norb throws in the random mix of 'attackmarch' column at a run when engaging guns at canister range?
That would work. If it was made somewhat random as you suggest, that would really make things interesting! Could there be a check to see if any enemy infantry is nearby, (~40 yds, since enemy inf. doesn't countercharge to regain the batteries), which would abort any charge attempt?
The infantry check is definitely an important consideration, or the capturing could quickly turn sour. However, the more complicated the fix, the more the idea gets moved to back burners. Simple solutions get priority, along with numerous forum 'squeaks'. ;)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Reb:
And to squeak even more; after one gun is successfully charged, it would be good for the regiment to keep charging until all the guns of the battery are captured. I made a suggestion early on that once a gun is captured, all guns within ~30-40 yds. are automatically captured as well. This would also benefit the batttery in that the battery is fighting with all hands, not just 15 men. A small regiment might actually lose.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Reb:
And to squeak even more; after one gun is successfully charged, it would be good for the regiment to keep charging until all the guns of the battery are captured. I made a suggestion early on that once a gun is captured, all guns within ~30-40 yds. are automatically captured as well. This would also benefit the batttery in that the battery is fighting with all hands, not just 15 men. A small regiment might actually lose.
Just an observation; Union regs can't man the guns due to the OOB, in most cases. This would also hold true depending on the CSA OOB.

Although in GB12 (The Peach Orchid), Barksdale regs could capture and man a gun, but did not have contol of the guns, for they were not added to Barksdale's OOB.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

I had expected this mod to come out pretty fast and my expectations were not disappointed.
I can NOT dl, install and test right now (Will soon but am too busy this week!) but wanted to express my gratitude to MTG and recommend he check the Tc2M Weapons mod in the community modpack 3 where all different musket type ranges were reworked (several times) to achieve great balance and historical accuracy.

Go check that out and arty will start taking casualties too from muskets and that's a must especially now that with your mod arty has become more lethal in the long range. :)
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Improved Artillery Fire and Enfilade Fire Mod

I have updated this mod to be compatible with the 1.120 patch. However, since the modding of flank fire has been disabled in this patch, the mod only changes the artillery fire effects. The link can be found at the bottom of the first post in this thread.
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

There's a distinct problem with artillery still present in this patch and I think the poor results are heavily affected by it, regardless of your efforts with modding the artillery fire.

I am posting about it in the thread "problem with moving the artillery".
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

There's a distinct problem with artillery still present in this patch and I think the poor results are heavily affected by it, regardless of your efforts with modding the artillery fire.

I am posting about it in the thread "problem with moving the artillery".
And which problem is that? Sorry but I see a few things you have mentioned in that thread (moving arty, effectiveness, corps commander not moving them etc.)

There's probably going to be a quick fix patch coming out to address a scoring problem with the historic scenarios. If you have found a bug then maybe we can get it in the patch.