Camera View for Generals

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
Willard
Reactions:

Camera View for Generals

Post by Willard »

Is there any way to set differing camera views by general in an MP game?

For example, in an MP game, if you selected the Army General you would get a 4000 yard radius camera.
If you selected a Corps commander you would get 2000 yards, a division commander 1000 yards, etc.

I haven't noticed a difference, but if there was a way to do this there would be value to using the Corps or Army General in an MP game. That player would have a much larger radius view and would be able to truly command the action as opposed to being limited to a much smaller view.
General P R Cleburne
Reactions:

Re: Camera View for Generals

Post by General P R Cleburne »

I like this idea alot Willard, or , how about a system where the commanders ability to view the field is restricted or improved depending on his rating as a field commander IE: A regular commander would have a greater view of his front and surroundings than say a mediocre militia commander who might not have the ability to see much beyond his own lines.Keeping in the spirit of things such a commander would also have a better control over the troops he directly commands, therefore enabling him to exert that control from greater distances.Also while on this topic ...How about a feature whereby at the click of the mouse you can actually see the limits on LOS for any one of your generals, again like you mentioned above ALA Sid Meiers Gettysburg.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

I like the idea too, but not the suggested ranges. Right now, division commanders can see 200 yards from the saddle.

So. . . perhaps Army General 500 yards and Corps 350 yards might work.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

It's not technically possible in MP as is.

The proper way to represent the army commander of course would be to have him not commanding any troops. Then he could ride around and see the whole battle (but only one part at a time). I'm not sure if we'd ever want to do that or if we did, how I'd implement it with the random teams.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Willard
Reactions:

Post by Willard »

It's not technically possible in MP as is.

The proper way to represent the army commander of course would be to have him not commanding any troops. Then he could ride around and see the whole battle (but only one part at a time). I'm not sure if we'd ever want to do that or if we did, how I'd implement it with the random teams.
The ranges I listed below were just off the top of my head.
It would be cool if it could be done that way.

As for troops for the army commander, giving them some cavalry for scouting and a contingent of army/corps artillery would be give them something to do while running the big picture.
I think this would be tough for random games, but for a campaign game I think it we could get some volunteers to run it that way.
WriterJWA
Reactions:

Post by WriterJWA »

Limiting the view of the division commanders should be definitely be considered. In a recent game, we were unable to conceal movement behind terrain because enemy division commanders out scouting were able to ascertain our whereabouts just by walking toward the lines.

The closer the view is to the saddle, the less inclined a division commander might be to stray from his men on some long-range scouting mission, lest they be attacked unbeknownst to him. Having the view in the saddle directly, while intense, is a bit prohibitive. I'd recommend having the view set at around 75-100 yards instead of the common 200. I'm less concerned about horizontal movement as I am about vertical movement. Limiting how high I can go will obviously limit how far I see.

Another possiblity is to either limit the distance a division commander can travel away from his men, or limit how close a division commander can get to enemy troops.
Last edited by WriterJWA on Tue May 03, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."

"If you see the President, tell him from me that whatever happens there will be no turning back."

Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, 1864
Baldwin
Reactions:

Post by Baldwin »

I tested it out today and 60 seems to be perfect. At about 1000 yards from your troops you start to lose sight of them. You still have enough freedom of sight to properly coordinate your division when you are nearby them. This may prevent the use of Generals as scouts, the only way to find out is to test it in MP.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

I like short camera distance too often. Sometimes I like to play with no restrictions at all. The host sets it, so maybe a quick vote before a game is a good idea, unless everyone ends up liking it the same way. Or the host could offer to do it one way before asking who wants to play.
Another possiblity is to either limit the distance a division commander can travel away from his men, or limit how close a division commander can get to enemy troops.
These aren't possible, and would be messy to deal with if they were.

I wish officers just had no LOS at all, then those cavalry scouting parties we had that one time could be useful.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign