How do you do it?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Squid_UK
Reactions:

How do you do it?

Post by Squid_UK »

Command that is. Up to recently Ive been trying to command via the courier system, but its a hit and miss affair. Now obviously its realistic that orders can be interperated, however what strikes me is that there is a limit to the commands you can have with regards to locations.

After talking to others in MP I tryed TCing my brigade commanders and things run a lot more smoothly, but then you lose the randomness of war that the courier system provides.

So my question is what is your prefered method of command?
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: How do you do it?

Post by Garnier »

When I'm near musket range of the enemy, I TC all of my regiments and all commanders. I usually don't TC guns individually unless I am using them for canister.

I try to TC the regiments when they're about 300 yards from the enemy. This way they don't automatically start forming lines when they still have a ways to march.

The only time I'll un-TC regiments is if I want to move a brigade a long way, but even then I'll often leave them TCed and move each regiment.

I wrote a tactics guide that you might find useful.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Squid_UK
Reactions:

Post by Squid_UK »

Thanks Garnier, actually that brings on another question. Does anyone play MP using the courier mode? Or is it all done manually?

I must say things do go easier for me in SP when I TC, but the idea of giving orders and seeing them carried out (or more likely in my case not :S ) seems more fun, especially in SP.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

The only way couriers would be used is if we didn't allow manual command, because manual command is so much more effective.

And since many of us don't enjoy courier command as much, we allow manual command. If the

In SP since there's no competition, you may as well use it. I did, back in TC2M when I played SP, and that was fun for a while. It's a different kind of game.
Last edited by Garnier on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

The prob with couriering is that when you enable the lowest level mode, every single order has to be couriered. I'd say that once you TC the unit, that rgt should stop needing couriers so that only by UnTCing that rgt another courier departs.

Essentially the lowest level is impossible to play until this is done, unless you can give multiple orders and THEN send the courier. If we kept the couriering for AI managed units only that would be much easier and it's the best way to develop the couriering thing.
dgard20
Reactions:

Post by dgard20 »

Hi
I am having a hard time understanding giving commands. Can someone give me a short example so I may practice.
Thank You
dgard20
Reactions:

Post by dgard20 »

I'm sorry. I will go back to the tutorials and do some basic training in boot camp
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I'm sorry. I will go back to the tutorials and do some basic training in boot camp
Yes that's the best way to learn. The regiment and brigade tutorials give you everything you need to know to move your troops around and give them commands.