Battle Guide

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
con20or
Reactions:

Battle Guide

Post by con20or »

Would anyone like to walk me through some stragtegies for generic brigade, division and corps engagements? Specifically as attacker. I'm not looking for down to the unit level, just some standard strategy.

My reasons for asking are,

A ) Im not very good

B ) When playing historical, its hard to know what to do.

C ) Sandbox battles are so even thats its hard to come up with a strategy for 3 regiments against 3 regiments, or one division against one division, other than try and come at them from an angle that gives you the height advantage, or cover.
Last edited by con20or on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamSmith
Reactions:

Re: Battle Guide

Post by SamSmith »

Fair warning--I'm not very good either. But here are a few thoughts on sandbox attacking with a division:

1) Scout ahead. TC a leader and have him double quick towards the objective. Try to identify as much of the enemy's disposition as possible.
2) While you're scouting, also find good ground for your artillery. You can beat an evenly-matched force with active and mobile gunnery, as the AI battery commanders will rarely match the initiative of a human player. Cannister wins games.
3) Plan for at least 2 lines of attack. The initial attack is meant to fix your enemy and force him to commit as many of his men as possible. Look for cover/height along this line especially (and probably artillery support), since the best case scenario is for you to meet heavy and unyielding resistance.
4) With your next attack(s), turn the flank of your enemy's newly developed position. Double-quick, look for cheap shots in the rear, jump on exposed batteries. Always, always, always flank.
5) Keep a reserve. The AI will usually keep a brigade back to shore up the flank you're going to hit with your second attack. Pin them down when this happens, then send your reserve even further around the flank.

Hope this helps. I'll be checking this thread to see what the smarter people say.

Also, check out Garnier's tactics guide here: http://sow.philipmcg.com/wiki/index.php ... tics_guide
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Good advice, thanks.

ou tof curiosity, Is there a way to order a flank attack with the courier system?
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

con20or wrote:
ou tof curiosity, Is there a way to order a flank attack with the courier system?
Not now, but there will be. ;)
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Nicely said, Sam.
I will add two small items - support your batteries. Infantry support is necessary when the fighting gets really up-close and personel. Unless you have massed batteries in one place, a competant enemy Commander, (AI or Human), will take advantage of unsupported artillery and take them. Conversely, support your weaker infantry with close fire support. Nothing beats cannister at short range to shore up sagging Infantry :).
Now, there are some folks who are against having batteries "rolled up" to the fighting lines. To them I give one of my favorite quotes:

"...when questioned why his batteries were right up on the lines, (Union) General Griffin replied "yes, yes. Artillery is no better that Infantry. Put them all in there together." (General Griffin, 1864, During the Wilderness battles.) I agree. ;)

Sic Semper Advantis

Jack O'Neill
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

con20or wrote:

I cant wait for this patch:)

Is there a date in mind for release? Are we talking months or weeks?

In your first attack, do you keep pressing till your men break and run? Or do you falback afterwards.
Last edited by con20or on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

con20or wrote:
Sorry, those are state secrets. :laugh:
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
SamSmith
Reactions:

Post by SamSmith »

In your first attack, do you keep pressing till your men break and run? Or do you falback afterwards.
Your goal with the first attack is to pull the enemy out into a flankable line, so you don't need to do either. Find good terrain within range of the enemy and then stand still. The flank attack is the one that's going to win you the game.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

con20or wrote:
Sorry, those are state secrets. :laugh:

State secrets eh...where's wikileaks or spys on facebook when you need them! Looking forward to it anyway:silly:
Last edited by con20or on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

con20or wrote:

I cant wait for this patch:)

There's still a lot of work to be done but we've made A LOT of progress in the last couple weeks. If I had to guess I'd say it's months away, not weeks. But it will be well worth the wait.