Discussion thread ayout

Got problems with the site. An idea on how to make it better. This is the place to discuss it.
garyknowz
Reactions:

Discussion thread ayout

Post by garyknowz »

Hey norb!

Sorry if this was mentioned in another thread, but the discussion board takes so long to navigate for me, I gave up. Is there any way to alter the viewing options to read the threads in another layout, similar to the MMG format? Can't seem to find one.

It’s just so arduous to have to click and wait for every post to come up. I’ve been having trouble with my modem so it takes even longer than usual. Thanks a ton, chief!

BTW, the screenshots have me salivating.

Best,
Gary K.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
estabu2
Reactions:

Re:Discussion thread ayout

Post by estabu2 »

Gary,

Do you have it on Threaded or Flat view? It should read like MMG, if it is on Threaded view then you will have to click on every post in order to read, but if Flat view you can just scroll down and read them all. Hope that will answer your question. If not, I leave the rest to norb!!
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

I believe that you must have it on the wrong view, because that's not how it works for me and I agree that would be very annoying. Go to your profile and switch the view type.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

gary, i can sympathize as i'm also in the same 'dial-up modem' boat. The old forum loaded instantaneously compared to this one. Don't know if its server or forum-SW related.

As an aside, if you're contemplating replacing your modem, i'd recommend an external desktop modem. The advantages are:

-they typically have their own on-board processor relieving the PCs processor from extra modem emulation duty

-they typically will use a negligable amount of PC memory compared to an internal WinModem for example

-they are much much more secure. There is zero chance of someone remotely starting your PC and having their way with it if the modem's power switch is turned OFF.

-the better ones have status LEDs which show the state of OFF-HOOK, rec-data, xmit-data, ModemReady, CarrierDetect, CTS, RTS, ARQ(compression), etc. One can tell at a glance what the modem is doing.

-they're not prone to PC lockups since they aren't plugged into the PC's internal PCI bus. Most will require a serial port(RS-232) preferably with a high-speed UART while some others use a USB data link.

I'm using a USRobotics desktop 'Courier V.Everything' business modem which has worked flawlessly. They're not cheap but worth the extra $$ IMO.

Other things to consider for optimum analog modem operation:
-Most important, have the phone company run a detailed diagnostic test sweep on your phone line. Make sure they do a detailed sweep including parameters such as frequency roll-off, Signal/Noise ratio, impedance, DC OFF-HOOK voltage, etc. The phone company will most likely balk at this but demand it. I did this when i was having low connectivity problems of which they discovered numerous line problems. They ended up changing a printed circuit board in the Central Office and an underground cable. No more dropouts and allowed me to connect at 28.8kbps much higer than before.

-Sometimes the highest initial connect rate to the ISP doesn't always translate into the highest data throughput rate. Although the modem will connect at the higher rate, it might do so with data errors which means the data block has to be resent again reducing average data throughput. Most modems will allow a forced maximum connect rate via their command setup string. My modem sometimes connected at 33.3kbps but i noticed it was usually slower than when it connected at lower rates. So i went into 'Phones and Modems' in Control Panel, selected Modems then Properties, Advanced. Modified the set up string to force a maximum connection rate of 28.8kbps and my through put actually increased because of minimal data errors. With USRobotics modems, the AT Command i added was &N16 if i remember correctly.
Virtually all modem manufacturer's initial set up strings allow maximum connection rates data errors or not.

The modem's specific command definitions and their parameters can be viewed and changed Off-line with a terminal emulator such as Windows Hyper Terminal or the owner's manual. For USRobotics modems,'AT$' will display basic AT Command options and 'ATI6' will show data errors, retransmitted blocks and other parameters.

-Also be aware that those phone line protection devices can have a shelf life especially if one is located in a thunderstorm lightning prone area. Most use a cheap electrical component called a MOV which will activate when an overvoltage condition exists. Problem is the more this component activates, the more it cumulatively deteriorates which when it gets bad enough acually deteriorates the phone signal.

Probably way more than you wanted to know about modems but it was just the tip of the iceburg!!
:
Last edited by ironsight on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironsight
Reactions:

Post by ironsight »

Tried switching to threaded view, hated it-too confusing for long threads, then tried switching back to flat which lists posts in a straight forward chronological order and no dice. It won't switch back to flat again!:woohoo:
What am i missing?:unsure:

Then somewhere in the profile setup, it says you can switch the views on the 'fly' from the forum menu bar. Tried that and it worked! But will it stay put now?
Really miss that old forum format! :(
:
Last edited by ironsight on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
louie raider
Reactions:

Post by louie raider »

i dunno, i kinda like this 'ayout; having the picture on the right, it shows off the better side of my avatar :P
Last edited by louie raider on Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
this space for rent
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Louie Raider wrote:
i dunno, i kinda like this 'ayout; having the picture on the right, it shows off the better side of my avatar :P
:pinch: I knew it wouldn't be long before I was razzed for that. ;)
Last edited by garyknowz on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Thank you, gentlemen. I had a feeling I was simply missing it. Strange though—it was right there in plain view. I suppose it like trying to look at the fly at the end of your nose. Even so, it’s somewhat embarrassing. Thanks again!

Oh, and ironsight, thanks for the info, sir. Since my life collapsed around me this last year and a half, I’ve had to cut way back on expenses. I do have hi-speed access at the university, but at home where I do most of my research and communication with achivists, I had to cut down from cable to dialup. Oh, the agony of the first three weeks. :ohmy:

“Probably way more than you wanted to know about modems but it was just the tip of the iceburg!!”

And I get the feeling there is no hyperbole in that statement. B)
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Then menu item to show the posts since the last visit is working much better for me with this new version and template too.