WISHLIST!!

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Kerflumoxed
Reactions:

Re:WISHLIST!!

Post by Kerflumoxed »

"Wish" it would be possible to receive a response to messages sent...i.e. "Need support at "wherever." Would allow us to know whether or not the message was received and if there is a favorable/unfavorable reply: "Nope, nothing available...make do with what you have!" Or, "Reinforcements on the way...expected arrival in 45 minutes!"

J
Jack Hanger
Fremont, NE
[/size]
"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!" J. B. Poley, 4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

What!?! The war was a government run operation and you want efficiency? What a dreamer! :D

That is a good idea though.
Last edited by Marching Thru Georgia on Thu May 13, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Okay here is a biggy...just came to me while I was on a bbs.

Having a full dynamic (real) 3 day battle.

Choose your side, the 3 day scenario begins.

The game is in real time. The day progresses with dynamic weather, early morning, midday, sunset, etc timescale is accurate.

The grand campaign would not be broken into segments any longer. When the battles calm down, and sides regroup, new orders can be dispatched, small skirmishes can occur throughout the night, send out scouting parties, night guard posts challenged, the injured collected, and taken back to medical...etc etc.

and try to make this work on a 386 please? :)
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

mikesla wrote:
Okay here is a biggy...just came to me while I was on a bbs.

Having a full dynamic (real) 3 day battle.

Choose your side, the 3 day scenario begins.

The game is in real time. The day progresses with dynamic weather, early morning, midday, sunset, etc timescale is accurate.

The grand campaign would not be broken into segments any longer. When the battles calm down, and sides regroup, new orders can be dispatched, small skirmishes can occur throughout the night, send out scouting parties, night guard posts challenged, the injured collected, and taken back to medical...etc etc.

Not asking for much here :side: , should be out in a week or so . . .
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Cruiser
Reactions:

Post by Cruiser »

My wish is for a couple of maps with rolling hills, valleys, wooded areas, and farmsteads....... Pennsylvania or anywhere else that I can use in the Sand Box. Heck, I'd even settle for another Kansas map. :ohmy:
"Never stand and take a charge .... charge them too."
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Jim wrote:
mikesla wrote:
Not asking for much here :side: , should be out in a week or so . . .
Okay, dropping the 386 should do it then...right? :)

I think having the full Gettysburg battle in one continuous scenario is a good idea, where all you have for an option is too save the game. During the long battle, field promotions occur, etc, etc. (not sure on the etc though) then once the grand campaign is complete, you then carry over your character to another random generated campaign which could last another 3 or whatever days long, created with another set of maps chosen by the player, or chosen randomly.

Also, one more thing to add... during the grand campaign, depending on your rank, you should be able to grant field promotions of your own to your subs, this way to allow your prestige to grow during your characters life, which would follow to the end of his career.

The days do not have to be the real deal though. For instance 1 hour of game play would represent 4 hours or whatever seems reasonable to Norb.

I know, a dream right?
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu May 13, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mayonaise
Reactions:

Post by Mayonaise »

Most of what i want is ai tweaks...

1. units don't automatically countercharge, they hold their ground and fire
2. more realistic charges (very few charges actually ended in melee, either the charge stalled and settled to exchanging fire, or the defender ran)
3. an option to disable TC (i know i know i can just not use it but it's just too tempting)
4. decrease power of sharpshooters
5. increase power of artillery enfilade fire
6. increase effectiveness of flank/rear fire morale effect (this didnt happen in TC1 & 2, but in SOW i have had countless times surrounded units on all sides and proceeded to fire into them for 10 minutes before they finally broke.)
Mazikainen
Reactions:

Post by Mazikainen »

I'm no expert in ACW but it seems to me that double timing towards an enemy in column formation with an entire brigade and then charging feels more effective than it should be. I know columns were used in charges in the napoleonic times, but what about in ACW? My instinct says a bridage advancing in columns towards artillery and under infantry fire should take more casualties and lose their nerve faster than they do now. Also, the fatique regeneration seems a bit fast (I think in TC2M it felt just right), so a regiment that charged an enemy regiment or a battery seems like it's good to go for another charge in 5-10 minutes.

EDIT: Discussed here also, I see: http://www.norbsoftdev.com/index.php?op ... 9&id=15752
Last edited by Mazikainen on Fri May 14, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lees Warhorse
Reactions:

Post by Lees Warhorse »

yea you are correct it is a little more effective than it would have been. A column in the ACW charging infantry and a battery would more than likely be totally wiped out with cannister and small arms. It does allow quicker movement which I think is accurate but not so much the effectiveness of a column charge so to speak. Plus I doubt a regiment or brigade would be in a column formation that close to the enemy or try to go from line to column directly in front of the enemy. They would however form into column while friendly regiments were engaged to move on a flank
"No 15,000 men ever made can take that ridge." Lt. General James Longstreet
July 3, 1863
Son of an Irish Noble
Reactions:

Post by Son of an Irish Noble »

My wishlist:

Campaign mode, free or scenario driven, I want campaign.

For this game though, I'd like to have an ability, in the after battle screen, to go back to the field with all living units removed. It'd basically be kind of a tour the field the day after thing, just to view the utter devastation wrought. For example, a couple screenshots to show what I'm thinking of:

http://img37.imageshack.us/i/screen0011bmp.jpg/

I'd like to be able to do something similar with this:

http://img404.imageshack.us/i/screen0015.jpg/
Attachments
screen0015.jpg
screen0015.jpg (251.03 KiB) Viewed 174 times
Last edited by Son of an Irish Noble on Sun May 16, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: screwed up img tags, still don't quite "get" this blackboard thingamajig