Multiplayer Spectator option?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Multiplayer Spectator option?

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hello.

Is there going to be a spectator option for those who can't play multiplayer because of having dialup for instance?

BTW=> Love the new patch.

Cheers.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re:Multiplayer Spectator option?

Post by Garnier »

I would think that would have the same problems, if the person on dialup was connected to the MP game, even if they weren't giving orders.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

We do have a spectator option on our wishlist. It is something we we want to support at some point.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

norb wrote:
We do have a spectator option on our wishlist. It is something we we want to support at some point.
That's something I have been interested in seeing for a long time. Matter-o-fact there was a discussion about that feature a year or more ago, I'm pretty sure.
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Criztian
Reactions:

Post by Criztian »

On a related note, it might also be cool to be able to save replays. So even if you can't spectate, someone might send out replays of some really epic multi player or single player battles for all to enjoy. Just some thoughts for the future.
duncan
Reactions:

Post by duncan »

+1 for spectator and replay features in the wishlist !
GShock
Reactions:

Post by GShock »

There's a problem inherent all games with spectator mode, the so called ghosting.

I believe the only real solution to this problem is the Black screen, which means, no spectator mode. Some games have a replay feature where basically the whole game is recorded and when they die or are eliminated, they can see the match until the point they were eliminated... unsatisfactory, like the black death screen.

I think the best solution of compromise is to basically assign to the player the restricted camera view of another player, which means send the dead player to see his ex team members' camera view. What the live player sees, the dead player sees.

A nice shell to move the camera from one player to another and that's it. I don't think it would be too complicated to do and I can't think of anything better at the moment.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hello.

I would expect that while watching using a dialup connection would be like trying to download a you-tube video.

I was asking simply because I won't be able to play multiplayer (dialup connection), and I thought if I just was able to watch wouldn't cause much of a problem.

The only game(s) I am at the moment able to play for multiplayer is GTA Vice City, Day of Defeat, well all games that were optimized for Dial-Up.
Monty
Reactions:

Post by Monty »

Criztian wrote:
On a related note, it might also be cool to be able to save replays. So even if you can't spectate, someone might send out replays of some really epic multi player or single player battles for all to enjoy. Just some thoughts for the future.
I know it's been mentioned before, but I would love to see a replay feature like that seen in Sid Meier's Gettysburg.