Armistead at the Angle

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re:Armistead at the Angle

Post by Little Powell »

Rich Mac wrote:
I should have read this thread before starting the scenario :P

I did manage 4800+ points. I didn't check the time I gained the VP, but I think it may have been a few minutes ahead of MrSpkr. I was hoping that the points were going to increase somewhere in the middle of the scenario, but they stayed 100/minute the whole time, so I rushed in as quickly as possible to get every minute I could. I believe that I also captured 9 or 10 guns, which probably explains the point difference between me and MrSpkr.

Those batteries are brutal! I was watching the 16th NC regiment (not under my control) cross the wall and take 4 rapid canister blasts. They were reduced to ZERO men! I've never seen that happen before :blink: One lone sprite carried the flag, very rapidly, to the rear! It reminded me of the University Greys of the 11th MS that took 100% casualties at the hands of a Federal battery (maybe Cowan's? I can't remember)on the 3rd.
Yeah this one is still very tough even with the new beta patch (as it should be) but it is now winnable. I did a lot of testing on it to make sure the 200 points per sec is sufficient. You will be clinging to the OBJ down to the last second, while wiping the sweat from your forehead.. Once you clear the infantry/arty around the Angle, then you have to worry about the yankees trying to win it back. It depends on the randoms you get, but it's possible to be completely surrounded! If you stay strong and fight them off (use the stone walls to your advantage), you can get a win. I think I got an 8000+ out of the 7500 required for a MV the last time I played it.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

When I tested it, I ended up with just over 8400. You will hang on for dear life at the end, but is is a fun battle. Don't be afraid to fall back or retreat and reform.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
Rich Mac
Reactions:

Post by Rich Mac »

Little Powell wrote:
Once you clear the infantry/arty around the Angle, then you have to worry about the yankees trying to win it back. It depends on the randoms you get, but it's possible to be completely surrounded!
Yep, I was surrounded and had the Irish Brigade attacking me from the west. They are small, but after the beating I had taken I was little match for them. I was clinging to those stone walls.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Also, when to TAKE the objective is a key winning factor. If you capture it too soon, melees and such, without flanking and push support from your friendlies, your riddled troops will be too weak to hold on. If you capture it too late, you won't get enough VP points to win. Timing is critical.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Rich Mac
Reactions:

Post by Rich Mac »

Yes, I waited until the Union forces were already engaged. They are pretty quickly driven (or charged out) at the point of the angle. I lingered just behind the assaulting force to ensure that happened and then I found an opening and rushed my brigade directly at the angle, just north of the copse of trees. There was a Union regiment right at the copse of trees on the wall and I more-or-less charged them with my entire brigade. After driving them off, I had the VP secured in just a minute or two.

I think the most difficult part comes next. Defending and maneuvering your brigade while trying to stay out of canister range. The big shotguns of death are all around you and the slightest error will quickly cost you dozens of men.
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Still working on this one -- last three tries, Dick Garnett has decided to attack somewhere to the right of Kemper's men, leaving me all alone at the Angle.

Sigh. Love the game, but sometimes winning the scenarios seems like a pure luck kinda deal. WOuld be nice if hte more difficult variations came with a VP bonus for the player, but that's proabably too hard to code.

Steve
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
MrSpkr
Reactions:

Post by MrSpkr »

Finished this one, but think I found the scoring bug again. My final score was 13K plus. I noticed that, at least as of the 41 minute mark, I was earning 400 points per minute from holding the victory location instead of 200 points per minute -- but when I checked the Victory Location on the Map screen, it indicated I should only be getting 200 points per minute. File is sent.

Steve
Last edited by MrSpkr on Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

Major General John Sedgwick's final words, Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, May 9, 1864
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Love the game, but sometimes winning the scenarios seems like a pure luck kinda deal.
Aye...indeed. But then so much of the Civil War itself was won or lost on pure luck too. :)
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
garyknowz
Reactions:

Post by garyknowz »

Interesting, because I was getting 200 a minute. Ended up with 9800 points. It's crucial to silence the three batteries quickly after taking the walls. Too bad the game wouldn't allow me to capture them as opposed to just surrendering. Would have helped repel the inevitable waves of counterattacks. BY the end of the scenario, I had just the 57th VA remaining. Great scenario though!
Sorry. I suffer from a serious case of typosis. Don't worry, it's not contagious :)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

That scoring bug should have been fixed in the new patch, glad you sent in a save of this.

But if it's not the scoring bug, those are some impressive scores. Well done guys!