Help for Heth Scenario

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Re:Help for Heth Scenario

Post by Hancock the Superb »

I have never actually done this (never tested it), but I sometimes get out a set of marbles and line them up along their starting positions. It resulted in this: Archer's skirmishing regiment and Davis' right most regiment move forward to the battery along the pike. Davis' regiment takes the guns and engages both union regiments and Archer's regiment flanks them. Archer's regiment way out by the two guns near Herberst Woods takes the guns. The rest of Archer's Brigade moves up along the fenceline to prepare for the Iron Brigade. Davis quickly attacks Cutler's middle regiment (to keep it from firing on the rear of Davis' right hand regiment, and charge. As soon as it has moved off, they quickly move to Cutler's remaining two regiment at the objective and flank and push them off and seize the objective as quickly as possible. With cannister facing both of Cutler's regiments near Herberst woods, they should be overrun quickly and Archer gains his whole brigade about when the Iron Brigade's attack is the strongest. Davis' regiment that was working with Archer's will move to the VP (along with a commander). Davis will send a regiment to take care of the VP along the pike, and the regiment that seized the VP will flank the Iron brigade. Artillery moves up onto McPhearson Ridge. From playing the battle and estimation, I believe that the Iron Brigade can be defeated eventually with the help of the cannon and Davis' flanking regiment.

This should bring about a major victory, if my computing is right.
Hancock the Superb
Taiaha
Reactions:

Re:Help for Heth Scenario

Post by Taiaha »

Hancock, I look forward to reading the AAR on this! It sounds like a great plan, but the fly in the ointment is the low quality of Davis's brigade. Most of his men rout if you just say boo to them.

Surrender seems to be triggered reasonably reliably in a unit that takes massive casualties in a very short time (not just a heavy losses, but massive). In the Rhodes scenario I captured three Federal regiments because they were losing so many men it was like watching a chorus line kicking its heels up. But I would also expect surrounded units to surrender once they rout which doesn't seem to happen.