My Realism Rule Set

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
Garnier
Reactions:

My Realism Rule Set

Post by Garnier »

After playing several MP battles I've been trying to formulate a set of standard realism rules for people (like myself) who enjoy this kind of game. This realism is focused on command structure. The goal is for the experience of command to feel as realistic as possible.

A large focus of this rule set is on the physical presence of the commander.

First of all, the actual in-game settings:

[*] Set Custom difficulty level.
[*] Set 10-20 max camera distance from you. 10 is more realistic, 20 is not too bad and it helps sometimes when units are in difficult spots to click.
[*] Set Bare Map for map icons display level. To understand the situation you have to look around you, and move around to get a view. Press 'Z' to zoom your view in, as if you are using binoculars.
[*] "Set orders by courier at this level" appears to have a bug, so set this to Side for now.
[*] Do NOT check "Realism" in the settings.

The rules that are not inherent to the game but must be followed are:
[*] No in-game chat concerning battlefield information or orders.
[*] No ventrilo chat concerning battlefield information or orders UNLESS the two commanders are physically within talking distance. Basically, to talk in person you must ride your commander to the commander you wish to speak to. To facilitate this rule, all players should have disabled Fullscreen mode. This allows easy alt-tabbing to ventrilo and back to move to a separate channel to speak privately.

[*] All battlefield information and orders that need to be communicated must be done via courier or in person as described above.

You can of course have lively banter in ventrilo as long as you avoid communicating information or orders relevant to the battle. How strict this is depends on the players.

Apart from this there isn't any other concrete rule or necessary setting, as far as I know. After playing more I might add things. I've tried all these things in game and they were very enjoyable.

If you read these and understand them and like them, please post, that way everyone can know who's capable of it.
Last edited by Garnier on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
larrytagg
Reactions:

Re:My Realism Rule Set

Post by larrytagg »

Garnier wrote:
After playing several MP battles I've been trying to formulate a set of standard realism rules for people (namely myself) who would enjoy this kind of game. This realism is focused on command structure. The goal is for the game to feel realistic, which does not always necessitate being realistic.

A large focus of this rule set is on the physical presence of the commander.

First of all, the actual in-game settings:

[*] Set Custom difficulty level.
[*] Set 10-20 max camera distance from you. 10 is more realistic, 20 is not too bad and it helps sometimes when units are in difficult spots to click.
[*] Set Player Sees for map icons display level. So if you use your map you only see units that you can see from your physical location.
[*] Set orders by courier for Division level and above. This ensures that division commanders cannot give instant orders to whatever brigades they have to command unless they are physically present.
[*] Do NOT check "Realism" in the settings.

The rules that are not inherent to the game but must be followed are:
[*] No in-game chat concerning battlefield information or orders.
[*] No ventrilo chat concerning battlefield information or orders UNLESS the two commanders are physically within talking distance. Basically, to talk in person you must ride your commander to the commander you wish to speak to. To facilitate this rule, all players should have disabled Fullscreen mode. This allows easy alt-tabbing to ventrilo and back to move to a separate channel to speak privately.

[*] All battlefield information and orders that need to be communicated must be done via courier or in person as described above.

You can of course have lively banter in ventrilo as long as you avoid communicating information or orders relevant to the battle. How strict this is depends on the players.

Apart from this there isn't any other concrete rule or necessary setting, as far as I know. After playing I might add things. Many of these things I've already tried in game and they were very enjoyable.
I like it. I'm one of those who was hoping folks would like to play this way. The Ventrilo idea is a new wrinkle.
Last edited by larrytagg on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Glad you like it, but when you're replying to the last post you don't need to quote the entire thing. ;)
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

Just played a co-op game using these rules with Rob, Larry and Legio. I commanded a confederate division and they each led a brigade under me. We actually got whipped pretty bad by the AI, but I put that down to the fact that we didn't use our cavalry or artillery. :P

The AI split us in two toward the beginning of the battle, Legio was separated from Rob and Larry. Couriers almost never made it through the enemy lines. Here is a screenshot of all I could see of his command for some time, just his flags over the horizon: (we were rebs)

For a while they were gone entirely and I didn't know what had become of him until he finally reappeared south of us over a crest. I galloped to meet him and check the condition of his troops, and then ordered them straight into the fight.
A lot happened, it was the most memorable battle I've had yet. (Hope to change that!).

Rob and Larry's commands got mixed up, and I got confused myself, occasionally regiments would be separated without orders for some time. I was constantly galloping between the three brigades. The ventrilo realistic in-person communication is great fun.
Last edited by Garnier on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

I like it. Definitely a great way to play.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
legiox
Reactions:

Post by legiox »

was fun. Yes i had to pull a Jackson march around to get back to you guys....those federals really seperated me from the rest of the division... :ohmy: