Buford's Stand - AAR

Had a great game? Want to write about it. These things can be very exciting, so if you want to share, post them here. The best will be reposted to the front page of the site!
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Buford's Stand - AAR

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Last night, I played Buford, and found it to be relatively easy for several reasons:
1. Carbines are quite helpful
2. Archer's regiments are so much smaller that they are routed easily
3. The horse artillery was never challenged enough by the Garnett's Battalion that they could just sit and play havoc with cannister.

SO:

Ordered Gamble to collect three of his regiments (the ones on the south side of the road) to defend the field next to Herberst Woods, just south of the road. Thought Devin was bringing his two regiments to me (then found out later that he was just stationing them in Gettysburg, darn!). Deployed Calef's horse battery in the field just to the right of the road, and finally organized the three regiments on the very north of McPhearson's ridge into a formation so one (Devin's larger one) was in reserve.

Archer came up through Herberst woods and in the front, but luckily, the flank regiment wasn't in line yet, so they flanked Archer's flanking regiments. The other three of Archer's brigade were torn apart by the carbines of the Gamble's two regiments. Archer's brigade fell back quickly, but was not pursued. 2 of Archer's regiments routed in the first assault.

Davis came up through the field in front of the cannon, and by quickly redeploying my reserve regiment on North McPhearson's ridge, I was able to route two of Davis's regiments just a minute after Archer retreat.

Interestingly enough, Archer came on again (after I had moved Gamble's entire brigade to south of the road) and attacked again. Much to my dismay, the fight lasted about 2 minutes, and resulted in another of Archer's regiment becoming routed. I can never get an actual fight!

Finally, I sent Devin's two regiments to threaten and take an enemy supply wagon, as well as expedite the retreat of Davis' reforming last regiment. At this time, I detached one of Gamble's regiments to get the VP points. I never took any of the cannon because Archer's regiments had reformed there and I was unsure if my cavalry could withstand the cannister, after watching Davis get torn up.

In the end - 1300 or so Confederate casualties, 200 or so Union. Score: 4843. Major Victory.
Hancock the Superb
sweeteye
Reactions:

Re:Buford's Stand - AAR

Post by sweeteye »

Good work Hancock!!! You must have a good insight on how this new game operates. ie. The issuing of orders etc.
26th Ohio Light Artillery
Sons of Union Veterans
Hancock the Superb
Reactions:

Post by Hancock the Superb »

Interestingly enough, when I send messages to my subordinates, I never get a reply! I say, what is your status, but no, never a reply.
Hancock the Superb
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Hancock the Superb wrote:
Interestingly enough, when I send messages to my subordinates, I never get a reply! I say, what is your status, but no, never a reply.
That is just reserved for MP at this time. They AI commanders won't respond to that message.

But it would be cool if they could report back with their status! Like if they are taking loses, they will reply back and say so. Maybe something for the patch. :)