Please Explain how Activation & Limits work?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
honestabe
Reactions:

Please Explain how Activation & Limits work?

Post by honestabe »

I have been reading on other forums there is only 1 activation allowed and 1 deactivation. Issues arise what happens if your hard drive goes caput and you didn't get to deactivate the game? How would one be able to activate it again?

Why not at least allow 2 activation limit as a failsafe for hardware error?
norb
Reactions:

Re: Please Explain how Activation & Limits work?

Post by norb »

Each code allows 1 activation. But you can deactivate and move the code to another machine. You can do this as many times as you want.

If somehow something happens that you lose the use of your code, we will work with you to resolve the issue.

Example: You have the demo installed at home and on your laptop. You activate your home computer and play there. But you want to play it while on a trip. So you deactivate your home computer and then activate your laptop. Now the laptop is activated and you can play the full game there. When you return home, just deactivate your laptop and then activate your home computer again. You can do this as many times as you want.

Note: You must be connected to the internet to deactivate or activate.
Jim
Reactions:

Re:Please Explain how Activation & Limits work?

Post by Jim »

You buy an activation code. You can activate a given install of the game with it. You can deactivate the install as well. There is no limit to the number of times you can activate and deactivate a given code. You can use one activation code on many different computers, but you can only have one install activated at any one time with a given code.

If you had an HD failure and were therefore unable to deactivate your code, post a message in the Tech Help section and we will contact you about how to get your code reset. It's not a huge deal, but requires admin level action.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Grim.Reaper
Reactions:

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Although I hope this company is around a long time even making more games, what concerns me about the (1) activation is if you run into unexpected system crashes where you can't deactivate first, and the company either has discontinued support or moved on.

What happens in this scenario? To me sounds like as a customer I'm out of luck in a game that I purchased. Although as I think about it, I guess this would pertain to activating the product too since the servers wouldn't be there potentially to even activate it again. So in general, what happens? I've seen a number of people in other places discuss this as reasons they have not purchased the game. I hope it does not detract too much from the sales.

Don't get me wrong, I have purchased this game knowing about the (1) activation and I'm sure I will enjoy it based on past history, I just wish there was someway to increase the number of activations to account for situations like this without relying on the company being around.

Thanks and look forward to playing this game!
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Don't worry, if it happens then you contact us. We'll figure something out.
kellysheroes
Reactions:

Post by kellysheroes »

We'll figure something out
You mean you don't already know what you will do? ;)
BTW The Wargamer suks nowadays. :) They still talkin bout you Norb. Same ole fools and retards like Son of Montfort and Jarhead and most especially Gusington.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

kellysheroes wrote:
We'll figure something out
You mean you don't already know what you will do? ;)
Well, kind of...

We have this giant wheel that we spin. Over 75% of it says 'screw the customer' and there is one tiny sliver that says help them out. There's a few other options like make excuses, etc. So when they contact us, we'll give it a spin and see what turns up.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

Ahhh Norb, a good classic sense of humor. :)
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
goodwood
Reactions:

Post by goodwood »

As a Jewish father once said to his son, "Solomon there no humour in business", or words to that effect! :laugh:
Last edited by goodwood on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Wilhelm
Reactions:

Post by Slick Wilhelm »

I don't have a problem with this type of DRM, per se. I know that you guys will take care of us if anyone has a hard drive failure.

But I do share the concern about the future. It would be a very sad thing if we were all sitting around a wargaming forum in ten years, lamenting the demise of norbsoftware, and unable to reactivate our games because norbsoftware didn't have the time or inclination to remove the activation restriction for SOWGB.

That may sound like a far-fetched scenario, but there is still a rabid fanbase of folks out there racing Grand Prix Legends, which was first released in 1998. The game was so good that modders have kept updating it and keeping it modern. I don't see how the game could still have legs if it had a similar DRM to what SOWGB has. Papyrus, the original developers of GPL, are long gone and no longer in the picture.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I do think it's a valid concern. I think SOWGB is an instant classic, and one that we'll still be playing many years down the road.

I know there are a lot of guys that hang out at the Matrix Games forum who would love to play SOWGB, but won't buy it because of this type of DRM.