Scourge of War map making question

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
sweeteye
Reactions:

Scourge of War map making question

Post by sweeteye »

Just wondering if the map making process for Scourge of War will be similar to TC2M and if they will be able to be used in multiplayer?
26th Ohio Light Artillery
Sons of Union Veterans
norb
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War map making question

Post by norb »

There will not be the ability to make maps until we are done with our own expansions. This is the same as tc series. We did not release the map making until we had decided that there would be no expansions, and we'll do the same on this game.
sweeteye
Reactions:

Re: Scourge of War map making question

Post by sweeteye »

Thank for the info Norb. Makes very good sense to me why you would do it that way. I am sure the scenarios and multiplayer will keep me busy for a while. :)
Last edited by sweeteye on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: delete an extra smiley
Sons of Union Veterans
louie raider
Reactions:

Re:Scourge of War map making question

Post by louie raider »

sweeteye wrote:
Just wondering if the map making process for Scourge of War will be similar to TC2M and if they will be able to be used in multiplayer?
it's somewhat similar in that the preparation is exactly the same regarding research, and the same tools are used (i.e., Photoshop or other imaging software), but splats are utilized in this game which is the main difference. and as far as multiplayer goes, as long as all participants have the same map files in their individual file structures, i can't see why it wouldn't work.
this space for rent
sweeteye
Reactions:

Post by sweeteye »

Thanks for the input Louie, making a really nice map for this new game is something I look forward to. I have a pretty good handle on making maps for TC2M although I need to learn to slow down and be a bit more accurate and pay attention to details. I am not familiar with splats and how they are used although it seems I have heard the term somewhere before. B)
Sons of Union Veterans
parmenio
Reactions:

Post by parmenio »

it's somewhat similar in that the preparation is exactly the same regarding research, and the same tools are used (i.e., Photoshop or other imaging software), but splats are utilized in this game which is the main difference.
I'm thinking that one of the requirements is probably going to be Power Render 6.08 and since Chris Egerter appears to have seen the "iPhone app light" and no longer seems to be selling or providing Power Render (I had enough trouble locating Power Render 5.09 recently), map making in the community will surely be difficult.

I've got a download called "PRCore64.exe" but who knows what version that actually is or whether it's compatible.
Last edited by parmenio on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.