Blury sprites

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
Smintar
Reactions:

Re:Blury sprites

Post by Smintar »

Mine are also Blurry. I have hd4870 ati I ck those 2 setting and they r set 2 and 4
Rob Son of Paul
Reactions:

Post by Rob Son of Paul »

I have same issue. Also, nothing is discernible on the regiment flags (blurry).

Everything is on 'best'.
pcelt
Reactions:

Post by pcelt »

I have to agree --I have a high spec comp and card at 1920/1080 and on high setting with AA and Anis set at 4 and 8 all my sprites and flags etc are blurry. I have just gone back and looked at my hires TC2M and sprites and flags are far clearer.
I notice there doesnt seem to be a choice re hi and lo- res re sprites in the Options?--only re the uniform quality.
This apparent reduction in res is disappointing (unless there is some other cause for the blurriness )
It is not a game-breaker but very unfortunate if true.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

You all have to remember that under no circumstances are these going to be as good as the soldiers in the WW2 games. There they have at most a few 10s of figures on-screen and can afford the poly count to make them look sharp. We have gone in a different direction and we are putting over 10,000 soldier sprites on an extremely detailed map. This takes a lot of memory to handle and there is simply not enough memory available on a 32 bit OS to bring 10K+ sprites into sharp focus when you are very close. The screenshots are as good as it gets so if that is the quality you are getting, that's all there is.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
pcelt
Reactions:

Post by pcelt »

Jim--Thank you very much for your response and explanation. So is it because SOW Gettysburg has so many more sprites and more detailed terrain than TCM2 that the level of resolution re sprite and flag must be less?
And as I have said elsewhere it is in any event most impressive visually and in my view very atmospheric and really immersive.
Many thanks to you and the whole team.
bedbug
Reactions:

Post by bedbug »

Our aim was to produce realistic rather than toy soldier looking sprites... as well as accurate models.
As I remember the last game even had bayonettes coming from the top of the rifle.... where the sights are. :laugh:
I think we achieved this realism, though sprites are sprites and you can't view even hi-res sprites close up without a certain amount of blur.
On the other hand most people don't spend much, if any, time that close to the sprites they are commanding. ;)
Last edited by bedbug on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcelt
Reactions:

Post by pcelt »

Thats true---and any sprites which I am commanding dont last long enough to leave any lasting impression anyway...........

:(
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

pcelt wrote:
Thats true---and any sprites which I am commanding dont last long enough to leave any lasting impression anyway...........

:(
Patience grasshopper. I have been commanding virtual CW battles since the early development of CWBR and I am still only average as a commander.

The nice thing about MP is that we can set up a 'School for Generals' to help people learn the basics.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863