DRM

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
norb
Reactions:

DRM

Post by norb »

Which method do you like better?

Two methods, just wondering which people like more. Both methods require that you be connected to the internet to activate the app. After that you do not have to be connected.

1) You receive a reg code, it activates the app. If you want to move the app to another machine, you deactivate the app, then you can activate it somewhere else. So you have a reg code that you can move where ever you want, when ever you want. But you have to connect to the internet to activate/deactivate. If you lose your drive with the activated app, you would contact NSD to reactivate the code.

2) You receive a reg code that allows 5 installs. So you can install the app 5 times, then you are done. If you want to install on 5 machines, fine. But once you run out, you are out. There is no way to move the reg code as in the first version. If you send a really nice email, NSD may reset your 5, but that would be at our discretion.

I'm just wondering which method people like more. Both methods are pretty unobtrusive and have no resident programs. They only install in the game directory.
Armchair General
Reactions:

Re:DRM

Post by Armchair General »

norb wrote:
Which method do you like better?

Two methods, just wondering which people like more. Both methods require that you be connected to the internet to activate the app. After that you do not have to be connected.

1) You receive a reg code, it activates the app. If you want to move the app to another machine, you deactivate the app, then you can activate it somewhere else. So you have a reg code that you can move where ever you want, when ever you want. But you have to connect to the internet to activate/deactivate. If you lose your drive with the activated app, you would contact NSD to reactivate the code.

2) You receive a reg code that allows 5 installs. So you can install the app 5 times, then you are done. If you want to install on 5 machines, fine. But once you run out, you are out. There is no way to move the reg code as in the first version. If you send a really nice email, NSD may reset your 5, but that would be at our discretion.

I'm just wondering which method people like more. Both methods are pretty unobtrusive and have no resident programs. They only install in the game directory.
I don't know about other people, but I have no use for five different installs of the game. I only need one and call it good.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

I don't see how either of these would be effective without installing something outside the game folder. Couldn't one simply copy the game directory to another computer? I am able to do that with almost all games I have, though admittedly I don't have many games from the past few years.

The first one is annoying in that (unlike all games I own) I wouldn't be able to play LAN with my brother. I understand that's probably not intended use of the game anyway, but I'm just stating my opinion. We'd still have all the other games we own that play LAN with one copy.

Apart from that, you can be certain that many people are going to delete the game (happens all the time) and if that doesn't deactivate it, you get a tech support call (and/or an angry customer). Other than that number 1 is fine.

The second is very annoying because I at least reinstall stuff from time to time.. and having to contact tech support without a certainty of getting the key working again would be bad.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Garnier wrote:
The first one is annoying in that (unlike all games I own) I wouldn't be able to play LAN with my brother. I understand that's probably not intended use of the game anyway, but I'm just stating my opinion. We'd still have all the other games we own that play LAN with one copy.
Wow, none of the games that I own allow this. I have to buy two copies to play lan in my house or anywhere else. Which is how software is intended to be sold. You pay for one copy, you can only play one at a time.

The second option is something that I've seen Torchlight use. People seem to like it, though they allow 10 installs. It's nice because you could play lan, though you are "supposed" to buy two copies.

Personally, as a gamer, I really liked how Torchlight did it. I can install on two computers and play either one without having to do anything special.

For the long term, I would like #1 better. Then I'm good no matter what happens. But "usually" games are patched to not require any DRM once it gets too old to support. So how long do I really need to worry about.

It's a tough call and I'm trying to get all the feedback that I can. We'll be using one or the other. A lot of people don't even worry about this stuff because they figure it will be cracked so it won't effect them.

DRM is more for the shoplifter than the armed robber.
Harag
Reactions:

Post by Harag »

I think option two you would loose out on revenue. e.g. my brother and I can't wait for this as we loved Sids gettysburg in the olden days, I am personally more than willing to pay for two licenses so we can play on LAN but with option two I have no need.

How about option three, if you buy more than one license you get the 2nd cheaper (20% off price?) etc.

On the subject of LAN, and option two, I'm guessing that I could buy one license and install it on 5 machines and have a 5 player match. Though I love this idea, I do think you will do yourself no favours, players who will play gettysburg SOW are IMHO dedicated players of the era and game type.

I say go with option one, with cheaper licences the more you buy at once... Now where is my credit card... :)
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Good point, but I figure that people would want to keep most of their licenses around in case of crashes. I can see them giving 1 or 2 away. I can see some people using all 5 and then trying to get more out of us. But if you could play lan in your home and have some buddies over and they try it and like it, maybe it would lead to more sales?

I use a desktop and a laptop, so I like being able to have full versions on each and can play on either, depending on where I am working.

It's a tough call because there are good reasons for both ways.
Garnier44
Reactions:

Post by Garnier44 »

I say go with option one, with cheaper licences the more you buy at once...
Then I could buy a bunch cheap and resell them for a small profit on my own. That doesn't work.
Wow, none of the games that I own allow this. I have to buy two copies to play lan in my house or anywhere else. Which is how software is intended to be sold. You pay for one copy, you can only play one at a time.
The games I have don't stop you from installing and playing on multiple machines at once, MP over LAN, or SP. Almost universally, you can't play ONLINE from two machines with one copy, of course. For instance M2TW/RTW, BF2/BF1942, IL2 Sturmovik, EU3 (and all paradox games I've seen), Company of Heroes, Mount & Blade, and virtually all games I have from 2006 and earlier.

It works both ways, on one hand someone might not buy it because they can play LAN with their friend anyway, but in my case, the ability to play LAN with one copy has often caused some my friends to buy games after playing them LAN, because they liked them, and want to own the games they play. Like if I have friends over and my brothers and them have a LAN party on some game and they really like it, they'll usually end up buying it. I don't know if this or the first case (them just taking a copy) are more common.
Last edited by Garnier44 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Modding Tools: - CSV Editor - OOB Generator - Mapping Tool
Harag
Reactions:

Post by Harag »

Garnier44 wrote:
Then I could buy a bunch cheap and resell them for a small profit on my own. That doesn't work.
Yep, I see your point here.

One thing with TC2M is that I have it installed 3 times on ONE machine (copy and pasted the whole folder). The reason for this is that I have a fresh install, then I have a CMP3.0 installed mod and the 3rd one is another mod (rebels I think). Will this be possible with Gettysbury or is the "modding enabling" a lot better now? If not then limited installs could cause problems with modding.

I too in the past have had friends round who have since playing bought the game.

Norb, would it be possible to offer BOTH types when ordering. That way it would be up to the us which we would want?
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Option 2 has the advantage, like people said, of easy LAN. For instance, I'll try to get my dad to play me, but he's certainly not a gamer and probably wouldn't do more than a few battles (despite my repeated efforts to get him to game starting with SMG!).

But like others have said, what about for mods? I know that I've already installed and uninstalled TC2M about four times just to move stuff around, add mods, remove mods, etc.

Because of that, I'm learning towards option 1. It'd be like Steam, in the sense that you could log in on any computer and install and play, but you can't have two people logged in with the same code at the same time. That works for me.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
ratters72
Reactions:

Post by ratters72 »

I'd go with option 2 so when I purchase my laptop i can put it on that as well. But honestly, I'm not overly fussed - as long as you don't have to be connected to the net each time you want to play - argghhh, i hate that one.