Capturing Artillery and Moving it

General Question/Answer/Announcement about NSD. We are a small independent game development team and we value our community. If you ask, we'll answer.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Capturing Artillery and Moving it

Post by JC Edwards »

Norb

One thing I was wondering about is, in the new game, when we "capture" enemy guns, will we "capture" the horse's and caissons as well?

It would be nice not to have to have them "pushed" all over creation.:lol:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
norb
Reactions:

Re:Capturing Artillery and Moving it

Post by norb »

The though here was that before someone would allow their gun to be captured, they would have plenty of time to spike it. So there had to be a penalty to a captured gun vs. your own gun. At the very least, they would cut away the horses before they would allow you to get their gun. So this is represented in the game by what you see. I doubt this will change, as I am a firm believer in making tough choices in game play. What would be nice is an option to not capture the gun, but to just spike it. Also to spike a gun before it is captured would be good as well.
chantilly
Reactions:

Post by chantilly »

Now that is a good answer, I would have never thought about that ( the cutting the horses loose ). I also like that gun spiking feature, I have seen that on the TC2M wishlist. I know it would require more coding and new graphics, but if that came to fruition , the exploding gun graphic could also be used when a gun randomly bursts ( happened with the Parrotts every now & then ) , or maybe if knocked out by an enemy shell. Sort of multiple uses for a new graphic { just a thought } .

Sarge - "Get those backs into it & keep pushing !"
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

Chantilly
Sarge - "Get those backs into it & keep pushing !"
:lol: Looks like that will be the case.

Thanks for the reply Norb......I'll have to agree with you on that.

"Keep pushing men!!":lol:
Tacloban
Reactions:

Post by Tacloban »

Yes we'll need lots of dead horse sprites around captured guns. They usually didn't bother cutting them away, there was no time.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Based on what the guys showed me at Gettysburg, it seems that spiking the gun would have been a lot easier than cutting away the horses. Would have just taken less than a minute to render the gun unable to fire. I'm wondering how many guns were actually captured. Seems that there would be a much better chance of capturing an inoperable weapon, than one that could fire.
estabu2
Reactions:

Post by estabu2 »

If that is the case maybe there should be a percentage of the guns that get captured that can't be used. Like maybe around 25%. It would make you think if the loss of men is worth the possibility of getting a gun that doesn't work.
"It is strange, to have a shell come so near you...you can feel the wind."
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Post by JC Edwards »

estabu2 wrote:
If that is the case maybe there should be a percentage of the guns that get captured that can't be used. Like maybe around 25%. It would make you think if the loss of men is worth the possibility of getting a gun that doesn't work.
Very good Idea. Even I would be a little more tempered in sending troops to capture a non-working gun.:lol:

I'm sure you guys would get a kick out of that!:P
louie raider
Reactions:

Post by louie raider »

i like that idea; it should make the player think twice about using the the "charge the guns, no matter what" strategy...
this space for rent
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Good productive topic!

Ideally I think that in certain circumstances full artillery units should be captured; i.e.: totally surrounded, fast capture - timed from initial sighting. Anything addressed and included would be a game enhancement here.:laugh:
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...