Articles
Articles View Hits

'True Ground SR1' - Scenarios & OOBs

5 months 1 week ago #31 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 1974

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Jolly wrote: I like the colour news pic Reb!

After a few tries I got a victory with this scenario.
    Again, not easy (for me). I had a few dismal defeats before this ...

David(jolly)

I like the color picts also, touting Major Victories, hope they don't put off the historical purists, since color picts were still a century away. Still, more are planned.

Certainly appreciate your posts, along with your landscape enhancements...Thanks Again!

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Jolly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #32 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-19_July2-The 'Philadelphia Brigade', What If (U-Brig)

Command: Brigadier General Alexander S. Webb's Second Brigade

Situation: What If: The Confederate attack plan went as ordered and the Union center was seriously threatened.
    The Rebel attack has reached Emmitsburg Road. The batteries your brigade supports have momentarily ceased fire to allow our troops along the road to withdraw to more defensible positions along the ridge. Our position is strong, but our numbers have been thinned by regiments being moved south to relieve that fight that has been ominously progressing this way. Reinforcements have been requested. Regardless, with or without relief, the 'Philadelphia Brigade' will follow orders and be determined to hold this vital ground, the Union center.

Gameplay: Holding the lone objective (3000 points) for the duration is vital to achieving, but doesn't guarantee, a victory. Adjusting defensive positioning and aggressive tactics will be necessary to stop the enemy advance and secure a sound victory. When a Confederate objective flag appears above your objective, it's a bad situation but good thing. Bad in that the Rebels have invaded your position and you're in jeopardy of losing objective points. Good in that reinforcements have arrived.

Forces Available: Brigadier General Alexander S. Webb, commanding the Second Brigade, 2md Division, II Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Brigadier General John Gibbon

69th Pennsylvania, Colonel Dennis O'Kane
    71st Pennsylvania, Colonel Isaac J. Wistar
    72nd Pennsylvania, Colonel DeWitt Clinton Baxter
    106th Pennsylvania, Colonel Turner G. Morehead

Brigade strength: 1211 troops and officers

***Philadelphia Brigade***

The "Philadelphia Brigade" (also known as the California Brigade) was a Union Army brigade that served in the American Civil War. It was raised primarily in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with the exception of the 106th regiment which contained men from Lycoming and Bradford counties.

The brigade fought with the Army of the Potomac in the Eastern Theater for the entirety of its existence and fought in several major battles, including the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, and the Overland Campaign.

During the Battle of Gettysburg, the Philadelphia Brigade defended Cemetery Ridge near the famous Angle on July 2 and July 3, 1863. On the evening of July 2, it helped drive Brig. Gen. Ambrose R. Wright's brigade back after it captured a portion of the ridge and recaptured a cannon. The 106th advanced as far as the Codori Barn near the Emmitsburg Road and the 72nd advanced just over the stone wall, before both regiments withdrew to their previous positions.

One of its most famous actions was during Pickett's Charge on July 3 at the Battle of Gettysburg, where it defended the Angle on Cemetery Ridge. Half of the brigade was mustered out in June 1864 and the remainder was transferred to another brigade.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This turned out to be more of an attack simulation than a competitive scenario. Still, after ten minutes of watching the Rebels form their assault lines, then come your way, you will have to maneuver your troops to inflict maximum damage in order to earn a Major Victory.

If anything, this scenario shows how futile Rebel attacks at this position were, even by applying this 'What If' formula. Even without the reinforcements, which were historic, the Union odds and defensive positioning were too great for any possible CSA forces in the vicinity to overcome.

One second left...Rebel attack is shattered

A Victory came pretty easy for me, this Major Victory I had to fight for...

Attachments:
    Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by RebBugler.

5 months 1 week ago #33 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Thank you received: 720

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Oh dear ...

The dismal dregs of defeat!

I was sure our boys would win this with the AI counter attack that saw the rebs off!

I'll take it on the chin though, and try to do better next time. ;)

David(jolly)
    Attachments:
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

5 months 5 days ago - 5 months 5 days ago #34 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-12grog_July2-Barksdale, The Longest Charge (C-Brig)

Not only a grognard version, but also a more historic version of the original. With this scenario the historic trek of the 21st Mississippi and its attacks on the Bigelow and Watson batteries is included via 'must capture' objectives. Of course the player can opt for any Barksdale regiment to go after these guns, but for historical immersion, the 21st fits the bill.

Another additional historical feature is how some objectives are captured. Now, instead of just getting within an objective radius occupied by the enemy and waiting for it to time out, the enemy must be cleared of the radius. This must be done by CHARGING, just like the name of the scenario implies. Once charged, enemy units will melee briefly then retreat. After that initial retreat they will fallback, then retreat from the field in two minutes. Call it the 'Shock and Awe' effect that officers on both sides reported of Barksdale's unrelenting charge that second day of Gettysburg.

With seven minutes left and all my objective points captured I was still shy of a MV by about 150 points. With Willard's fresh troops bearing down, I thought no way I could reach that MV bar. Still, a micromanaging I went, making sure all units were hugging fences and moving stressed units away from hot zones. Slowly the score increased, despite being outnumbered and flanked. The last thirty seconds was crazy, as units on both sides routed, the score jumped all over the place, hitting just over 5000, then back down 20 points or so, then back up, etc., etc. Then...Ta Da...
    One second left...

...a miraculous Major Victory

Attachments:
    Last edit: 5 months 5 days ago by RebBugler.

4 months 4 weeks ago - 4 months 4 weeks ago #35 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-20_July2-Wofford's Swath East Reaps Guns (C-Brig)

Command: Brigadier General William T. Wofford, Wofford's Brigade

Situation: From our position in Pitzer's Woods on Seminary Ridge we've watched intently as Kershaw's Brigade attacked the Federal positions along Emmitsburg Road. Now Barksdale's Brigade, to our front, is moving out to join the fight. Waiting in reserve, we know we're next. It's only a matter of time, til we meet our destiny.

Mission: After Barksdale's charge, lead your Georgians through the Peach Orchard, roll over the remnants of the Union line, then continue east clearing the guns and securing the stony hill.

Forces Available:
    Brigadier General William T. Wofford, commanding Wofford's Brigade, 1st Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

16th Georgia, Colonel Goode Bryan
    18th Georgia, Lt Colonel Solon Ruff
    24th Georgia, Colonel Robert McMillan
    Cobb's Georgia Legion, Lt Col Luther Glenn
    Phillips Georgia Legion, Lt Colonel Elihu S. Barclay
    3rd GA Sharpshooter Bn, Lt Colonel Nathan Hutchins

Brigade strength: 1635 troops and officers
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Research into this scenario cleared up a couple of misconceptions I had about Woffort's advance to the Stony Hill position. First, the very limited role of Woffort brigade's involvement in the taking of the Peach Orchard position. And second, the fact that Zook's brigade retreated before Woffort attacked their right flank as they already had more than they could handle with Kershaw's large brigade attacking their front.

Historically, as they moved east, Woffort's brigade did continue to sweep from the field remnants of the Union force still fighting while retreating from the Peach Orchard, including the battery line along Wheatfield Road. However, the history ends there with this scenario. So, consider the Stony Hill objective a 'What If' factor: What if the brigades of Zook, Kelly and Sweitzer (in their historic positions) made a stand against Woffort and Kershaw?...Making for a competitive ending. Woffort's historic clash with Ayres division will have to wait for a future scenario.

For the most part of the first 15 minutes of this scenario you can sit back and watch the 'Barksdale's Attack' simulation. And, it's different every time, as you'll see in case you demand a MV and keep after that bar...iow, repeat pursuits.

Gamey players beware. Just because there's a 'Hold' objective available for around 30 minutes, doesn't mean it can be gamied. I tested it, and I'm the best gamier I know. I certify it as 'gameyproof'. You may get it early, but you will eventually lose, like I did. Ya gotta let Kershaw even the odds as you methodically and effectively fight your way to the Stony Hill objective. Otherwise, defeat!

After many play tests, this was my first serious play through to check and see how the scoring lined up with the player's effort. I had a pretty good run and as you can see I barely achieved a Victory. So, to align the scoring better with player success I added an extra Stony Hill objective that awards 400 points more (200 points per minute) for the last five minutes of play.

One second left...the new scoring worked out well as I felt like I had made a Major Victory effort with this result...

Still, a real close call, for if I had activated the objective two minutes later...No Major Victory.
    I'm still bugged that the casualty comparisons don't reflect Major Victory standards, but that will probably be about par for this scenario. Because, to capture all those guns that are in your path, your casualty numbers will mount up fast as your troops eat canister. You'll in turn gain lots of engagement points, but register no enemy losses. You'll also suffer several routed companies with this 'get the guns' effort, so expect losses with the gains.

Wofford's Brigade, Excerpt by Bradley M. Gottfried

Full Article at: confederatebrigades.tripod.com/woffordsbrigade/

After being in reserve, Wofford was finally ordered forward. Almost immediately, a hundred yard gap formed within the 24th Georgia as it moved through the row of Confederate artillery. Seeing the problem, Wofford rode over to the regiment and waved his hat as he urged them on. The men responded by double-quicking. Watching Wofford's heroics, Confederate battery commander Captain W. W. Parker yelled, "Hurrah for you of the bald-head." His cannoneers took up the cry and cheered the men as they rushed past. Enemy artillery opened the fire on the brigade as it broke into the open ground. One shell took out most of one company, leaving only eight men uninjured. Another shell landed in the ranks of the 16th Georgia, killing eight and wounding twenty-one. However, the gunners were much more concerned about the immediate threats posed by Kershaw's and Barksdale's Brigades, and therefore the losses in the rest of the brigade were light. General Longstreet apparently rode part of the way with the brigade, and told the men to "cheer less and fight more."

As the victorious Mississippians of Barksdale's Brigade swung left (north) to take on Humphrey's Division on Cemetery Ridge, Wofford ordered his men to continue moving straight ahead, which caused their line of battle to stretch across Wheatfield Road and move parallel with it. The left of the brigade skirted the Peach Orchard, while the right of the four hundred-yard line moved toward Stony Hill and the Wheatfield. Surgeon William Shine of the Phillip's Legion noted that "our Men charged the Enemy with a terrific Yell, peculiar to the Southerners on all such occasions." The right side of the 18th Georgia on the brigade's right wing approached the exposed flank of Zook's Brigade, forcing it to the rear. Sergeant Gilbert Frederick of the 57th New York recalled that Wofford's Brigade was "marching steadily with colors flying as though on dress parade, and guns at right-shoulder-shift." Zook's withdrawal caused a chain reaction, which ultimately forced Caldwell's entire division from the Wheatfield. This was a critical time, as Kershaw's Brigade had been roughly handled by Zook's Brigade and the Irish Brigade. John Coxe, a member of the 2nd South Carolina, recalled how Wofford rode over to his regiment with a request that the South Carolinians form on his right as the charge continued:

Wofford took off his hat and, waving it at us, turned
    back and charged along his line to the left. And here
    was seen how the right sort of officer can inspire his men
    to accomplish next to superhuman results. Always Wofford
    rode right along with his men during a fight, continually
    furnishing examples and cheering them with such words
    as, "Charge them, boys." Those who saw it said they never
    saw such a fine military display as Wofford's line of
    battle as it advanced from the pike. He went right for those
    Federal cannons that were firing at us. Nor did it take
    him long to reach those batteries and smash them even
    before the gunners had time to turn their guns upon him.
    Rushing over the artillery, he kept right on and tackled
    the Yankee infantry in the woods beyond. And his
    assault was so sudden and quickly executed that the
    Federal lines of infantry smashed and gave way at
    every point in Wofford's way . . . it became a regular rout.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by RebBugler.

4 months 3 weeks ago - 1 month 1 week ago #36 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-25_July2-Caldwell's Division, The Wheatfield (U-Div)

Command: Brigadier General John C. Caldwell's First Division

Situation: As ordered, you've just entered the wheat field, and all hell's breaking out. Colonel Trobriand's depleted brigade is on the verge of collapse as Rebel forces invade the wheat field from the south and west. Your obligations are clear, relieve Trobriand and drive out the invaders.

Forces Available: Brigadier General John C. Caldwell, commanding the First Division, II Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Brigadier General John Gibbon

First Brigade, Colonel Edward E Cross
    5th New Hampshire Regiment, Lt Colonel Charles E. Hapgood
    61st New York Regiment, Lt Colonel K. Oscar Broady
    81st Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel H. Boyd McKeen
    148th Pennsylvania Regiment, Lt Colonel Robert McFarlane

Irish Brigade, Colonel Patrick Kelly
    28th Massachusetts Regiment, Colonel R. Byrnes
    63rd New York Regiment, Lt Colonel Richard C. Bentley

Third Brigade, Brig Gen Samuel K Zook
    57th New York Regiment, Lt Colonel Alford B. Chapman
    66th New York Regiment, Colonel Orlando H. Morris
    140th Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel Richard P. Roberts

Fourth Brigade, Colonel John R Brooke
    27th Connecticut Regiment, Lt Colonel Henry C. Merwin
    2nd Delaware Regiment, Colonel William P. Baily
    64th New York Regiment, Colonel Daniel G. Bingham
    53rd Pennsylvania Regiment, Lt Colonel Richards McMichael
    145th Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel Hiram L. Brown

Division strength: 3222 troops and officers
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

To Arms Yanks, with this scenario you finally get "the largest Union assault of the three-day battle".

For historic and play-ability purposes, all Rebel forces, sans Semme's brigade, have been reduced 15 per cent to reflect battle casualties sustained up to this point. Historically accurate attrition rates between battle phases are impossible to acquire so consider this an unqualified guess, and, the reductions make the scenario winnable. Before these reductions I tested this scenario several times and found it impossible to win, given the odds.
    Enter the Grognard Variant: Before said reductions, the original scenario.csv file has been saved in this scenario's folder as 'scenarioGROG.csv'. To play this GROG variant, first rename the original scenario.csv, then rename scenarioGROG.csv to scenario.csv. Feel free to post success with this variant, any kind of win with this Grognard Variant would indeed tout one's 'Generaling Skills'.

An important gameplay tip...
    With all the extra units that SR1 play provides, unit pathing can be problematic, especially with officer movements. Many times officers will take erratically long paths when ordered to destinations. If formations are ordered immediately troops will follow their officer's erratic path and cause all kinds of obvious problems.
    The solution is to wait til the officer arrives at his destination before giving formations. It's faster to guide the officer through congestion or hold down the 'Ctrl' key and double-click waypoints. Either way, it requires micromanagement, but with much faster results than waiting for an officer to take an extremely wide route to a destination . Once the officer is in position, initiate the formation. In most cases units will then move directly to the officer and their formation position.

The objectives, Cross, Kelly, Zook and Brooke, represent the historic 'High Tide' position each 'same named' brigade reached during Caldwell's attack. Although not necessary, for historical immersion guide the brigades to their respective objectives. I pretty much followed the historical routes, although I did enlist Cross's brigade to help gain and hold Brooke's salient.

One second left...Actually had a good defense set up and was steadily gaining points since my troops were receiving the 'Woods' terrain bonus, while much of the enemy were engaged in the 'Open', with no terrain bonus.

This score was a pleasant surprise, but well fought by my Yanks, believe me. Prior to this MV, all my previous plays were winless. So, with this play I was intensely immersed towards getting a win, of any kind. I was so immersed I didn't even look at the score until there was 15 minutes remaining as I was rallying Brooke to go after his objective. And then the big surprise, the score was just over 3500, without the final objective points (750). Still, had to go for that objective for obvious reasons, and the gamble paid off with this final result, despite my previous large edge in engagement points being sacrificed for objective points.
    Finally got around to presenting a 'battle appropriate' picture for the Union END SCREEN. Only Major Victories will receive the color (colour for the Brits) versions.

At Gettysburg:
    Caldwell's bloodiest combat experience was at the Battle of Gettysburg on July 2, 1863. Since May 22, he had commanded the 1st Division of the II Corps, now under Maj. Gen. Winfield S. Hancock. He and his division arrived on the battlefield the morning of July 2 and took up a reserve position on Cemetery Ridge. That afternoon, as the powerful Confederate assault from the corps of Lt. Gen. James Longstreet struck the Union III Corps, Hancock ordered Caldwell's division to reinforce the III Corps in the Wheatfield. Caldwell got his division moving quickly and conducted the largest Union assault of the three-day battle.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by RebBugler.

4 months 3 weeks ago #37 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Please keep 'em coming Reb. I'm having 'fun' on GB2-20 at the moment!

David(jolly)

4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #38 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• GB2-20

I ran out of time! (and men). ;)

David(jolly)
    Attachments:
    Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Jolly.

4 months 3 weeks ago #39 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-20

I ran out of time! (and men).

Thanks for confirming the GROG nature of this scenario. Hopefully this was at least an entertaining Defeat. :P

4 months 3 weeks ago #40 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Oh it certainly was Reb! No worries on that front.

David(jolly)

4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #41 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• GBR2-21

Closing in an the left cornfield objective after about 20 mins play - gonna be another tough day!

David(jolly)
    Attachments:
    Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Jolly.

4 months 3 weeks ago #42 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• I had the troops, but time beat me (again)! ;)

Not too bad a result though - and a really engaging, immersive scenario.

Thanks Reb,

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

4 months 3 weeks ago - 4 months 3 weeks ago #43 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• I had the troops, but time beat me (again)!

Not too bad a result though - and a really engaging, immersive scenario.

A constant steady push is needed to win, and help Brooke get to his objective with any available troops. I used Cross's right flank to support Brooke's effort. You can't avoid immersion with this one, it demands your constant attention, otherwise, you're toast.

You missed posting the new Union End Screen picture. Guess you just copied the scenario after you unzipped the download. That's not recommended because with almost every new scenario I add or edit files associated with but not necessarily included in that scenario's folder. For instance, if I add a new formation used only by the scenario added, it will crash when that formation kicks in, generally with scripting. If that crash happens toward the end of a hard earned victory, that would definitely be a bummer.

Thanks for the kudos :)

Edit: Just dawned on me that you probably did use the complete download. What I forgot is that I edited the gscreen.csv file in the True Ground Maps mod to accommodate the Union pict. I'll get that file added with the next scenario release coming real soon. In the meantime, here's the edited file, rename it and copy it to the TG SR1 Logistics folder.

File Attachment:

File Name: gscreens_2...3-16.csv
    File Size:22 KB

Attachments:
    Last edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by RebBugler.

4 months 2 weeks ago #44 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Thanks Reb.
    I played it again (from a sav).
    Better result - a victory!

Still no colour pic in the end screen though. I renamed the file to gscreen.csv and copied it to where you said.

No worries though - looking forward to the new scenario!

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #45 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Congrats on your Victory, even after coming off a save this one remains a GROG.

Still no colour pic in the end screen though. I renamed the file to gscreen.csv and copied it to where you said.

Now I'm miffed. :unsure: Hopefully after my next update picts will appear as designed.

Thanks for the post... :)

Just to be clear, color picts will only appear will Major Victories. Still, the issue with your post is that the upgraded non-color pict isn't showing up.

Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by RebBugler.

4 months 2 weeks ago #46 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Coming next...As soon as I achieve a Major Victory.

Been trying for the last three days, around five plays, tweaking stuff in between plays for better gameplay purposes. This was my last attempt and only Victory. Definitely gonna be another GROG, for I refuse to change its historically based design, or the bar established I feel is necessary to merit a Major Victory.

Attachments:

4 months 2 weeks ago - 1 month 1 week ago #47 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-26_July2-We Gained Nothing But Glory (C-Div)

Length of Play: 60 minutes

Command: Major General Lafayette McLaws, McLaws's Division

Situation: The actions at The Wheatfield are presently stalled as your brigades commanded by Generals Kershaw and Semmes are regrouping for another attack. General Wofford's fresh brigade has just arrived and will join that attack along with elements of Hood's division attacking from the south. Begin the attack when ready, and as ordered, sweep the enemy from the field!

Forces Available:
    Major General Lafayette McLaws, commanding the 1st Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia under Lieutenant General James Longstreet

Kershaw's Brigade, Brig General Joseph B Kershaw
    2nd SC 'Palmetto' Regiment, Colonel John D. Kennedy
    3rd South Carolina Regiment, Colonel Daniel C. Mooney
    7th South Carolina Regiment, Colonel David Wyatt Aiken
    8th South Carolina Regiment, Colonel John W. Henagan
    15th South Carolina Regiment, Colonel William DeSaussure
    3rd SC Battalion 'James' Regiment, Lt Colonel William G. Rice

Semmes' Brigade, Colonel Goode Bryan
    10th Georgia Regiment, Colonel John B. Weems
    50th Georgia Regiment, Colonel William R. Manning
    51st Georgia Regiment, Colonel Edward Ball
    53rd Georgia Regiment, Colonel James P. Simms

Wofford's Brigade, Brig General William T Wofford
    16th Georgia Regiment, Colonel Goode Bryan
    18th Georgia Regiment, Lt Colonel Solon Ruff
    24th Georgia Regiment, Colonel Robert McMillan
    Cobb's Georgia Legion Regiment, Lt Colonel Luther Glenn
    Phillips Georgia Legion Regiment, Lt Colonel Elihu S. Barclay
    3rd GA Sharpshooter Battalion, Lt Colonel Nathan Hutchins

McLaws' Division Artillery, Colonel Henry C Cabell
    Battery A - 1st North Carolina Artillery, Captain Basil C Manly
    Pulaski Georgia Artillery, Captain John C Fraser
    1st Richmond Virginia Howitzers, Captain Edward S McCarthy
    Troup Georgia Artillery, Captain Henry H Carleton

Attached units from Hood's Division:

Anderson's Brigade, Lt Colonel William Luffman
    8th Georgia Regiment, Colonel John Towers
    9th Georgia Regiment, Lt Colonel John C. Mounger
    11th Georgia Regiment, Colonel Francis H. Little
    59th Georgia Regiment, Colonel William A. Jackson Brown

Robertson's Brigade, Brig General Jerome B Robertson
    3rd Arkansas Regiment, Colonel Van Manning
    1st Texas Regiment, Colonel Philip Work

Benning's Brigade, Brig General Henry L Benning
    15th Georgia Regiment, Colonel Dudley Du Bose

Division strength: 6508 troops and officers, 16 guns

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Finally got that elusive Major Victory, in fact three, in the last three days. Kept finding stuff that needed adjusting, especially with the Walcott Battery objective. This is an important objective, as it was historically the high tide of McLaw's advance. However, for practicality sake, I had to reduce its hold time along with objective points as its position is suicidal for any regiment that stays there longer than two minutes...The Union guns commanding the ridge are unrelenting with deadly accuracy. Still, Walcott's guns must be silenced, otherwise they'll continue to pound your troops as they attack and secure the remaining objectives, costing you vital engagement points necessary for a victory.

The 'Failcheck' command has been applied to Sweitzer, Brewer and Day's brigades. When they reach their failcheck score (-200, -75 for regiments), they will withdraw from the battle in an orderly manner. This attempts to recreate the discipline the US regulars displayed historically as they exited the fight.
    Note: 'Score' has been added to 'enemy' brigade commander and regiment readouts, so you can check their status and adjust your tactics accordingly.

Suggestion:
    As soon as the scenario opens, select TC Officers. Not only will this help prevent performance lags caused by a lot of initial troop movements, it will also allow Caldwell's division time to exit the field. Then, wait a few minutes before a full scale attack so you won't have Caldwell's division to deal with hardly at all. Exception: TC Off Kershaw's brigade and give Attack orders, they will already be engaged and will help hasten Brooke's brigade's exit.

Cabell's Artillery Division
    I left them be with all my plays, usually they scored around 500 points remaining in that initial position. For folks that find it necessary to win, or just enjoy inflicting canister damage, they're at your disposal to move to strategic positions.

One second left...My third Major Victory effort, with all final edits completed. Missed the final objective points by 15 seconds, but still managed, barely, a Major Victory.

If you get your engagement score up to 1000 before capturing the first objective, you're on the path to a victory. Otherwise, the grog nature of what's remaining will make for a difficult journey beyond defeat.

On the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 2, 1863, McLaws commanded the second division to step off in Longstreet's massive assault on the Union left flank. He achieved great success (at a high cost in lives) in the areas known as the Wheatfield and the Peach Orchard, but the army as a whole was unable to dislodge the Union forces from their positions on Cemetery Ridge.

Attachments:

4 months 2 weeks ago #48 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• It seems this is a real tough one. Lot's to try and manage, and lot's of commanders who I found were a bit reluctant to follow orders, even when TC'd!
    I managed to get the wheatfield after about 30 mins, but was a bit stuck then.

This was only my first go, just need a rethink! :)

David(jolly)

4 months 2 weeks ago #49 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• A second attempt - getting there!

Secured 3 objectives.

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

4 months 1 week ago #50 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• A second attempt - getting there!

Good progress! I see you left the Walcott Battery Objective alone...It's a bugger. Get your engagement score high enough and you won't have to deal with it.

Thanks for proving this scenario has replay value, even though it lives on fueled by the frustration of not beating it. As I see it, the more frustration a scenario can provide, while still maintaining immersive entertainment, the greater the satisfaction when its MV bar is eventually reached.

4 months 1 week ago #51 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• That's exactly it Reb - keeps you coming back for more - figuring out different tactics.

Thanks,

David(jolly)

4 months 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #52 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-27_July2-Into the Valley of Death (U-Div)

Length of Play: 45 minutes

Command: Brigadier General Samuel W. Crawford's Pennsylvania Reserve Division

Situation: Having only recently arrived on Cemetery Ridge, just north of the round tops, you've still had time to observe the orderly withdrawal of General Ayres' US regulars. Being the best division the Union army has to offer, their orderly retreat is rather unnerving, especially upon seeing the hundreds of dead and wounded they have left behind on the battlefield. But there's no time to dwell on what was, there's only time to follow your immediate orders: Attack and defeat the enemy before you, leading your division "Into the Valley of Death".

Forces Available:
    Brigadier General Samuel W. Crawford, commanding the Third Division, V Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Major General George Sykes

First Brigade, Colonel William McCandless
    1st Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel William Cooper Talley
    2nd Pennsylvania Regiment, Lt Colonel George A. Woodward
    6th Pennsylvania Regiment, Lt Colonel Wellington H. Ent
    13th Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel Charles Taylor

Attached from Colonel Joseph W. Fisher's Third Brigade:
    11th Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel Samuel M. Jackson

Attached from Brigadier General Frank Wheaton's Division:
    Third Brigade, Colonel David J. Nevin
    62nd New York Regiment, Lt Colonel Theodore B. Hamilton
    93rd Pennsylvania Regiment, Major John I. Nevin
    98th Pennsylvania Regiment, Major John B. Kohler
    139th Pennsylvania Regiment, Colonel Frederick H. Collier

Division strength: 3090 troops and officers, 12 Guns

This scenario depicts the final major action of General Lee's en echelon attack along Cemetery Ridge, south of Gettysburg, July 2nd, 1863. Historically, after sporadic attacks across Plum Run, the southern forces only held their forward position along Houck’s Ridge a few minutes before being ordered to withdraw. With this scenario, the player must force this withdrawal by capturing objectives. Then, when the player's score reaches 3000 (notified via courier message), all Rebel units will begin to withdraw and retire to their historical 'end day two' positions, ending the conflicts in that sector.

Your first courier message advises: "Additionally, Lieutenant Walcott's battery is being overrun. Take back those guns immediately before they can be turned on our troops."
    Historically, these guns weren't manned after capture, but since the SOW engine doesn't provide for lone cannon retrieval, consider this a historical alternative.

13th Pennsylvania
    They're a vital resource in your arsenal, for they carry the Sharps Repeaters*. Position them wisely, and watch their ammo levels, they usually exhaust their ammo within 30 minutes of continuous engagement.
    *Model 1859 Sharps Rifle USA, has been scaled down 100 yards in all phases of engagement ranges. This leaves it with a maximum range of 300 yards rather than 400. For me this is a much more realistic maximum range since even modern day US basic army rifle proficiency training doesn't include targets beyond 300 yards. Considering effectiveness related to the amount of ammo wasted, it's just not practical due to human limitations on a field of battle, regardless of rifle capabilities.

One second left...As stated in the Intro, and as pictured, all objectives aren't required for success...

After finalizing all edits, I commenced play testing. First play, DEFEAT, second play, DRAW, third play...TA DAAA!

Originally this scenario was titled 'The Valley of Death'. Then I found online this painting (above pict) titled 'Into the Valley of Death'. Much better fit, not to mention the great picture find, I think most folks will agree.

Biographical Information...

At the July 1863 Battle of Gettysburg Brigadier General Crawford gained fame by skillfully directing the Pennsylvania Reserves on the second day of the engagement, where they repulsed the charging Confederates from the Little Round Top northern slope area and Plum Run area after the Southern Troops had defeated Union forces in the Wheatfield. General Crawford himself led one the charges made by elements of his division. His men occupied the blood soaked Wheatfield after the Confederates retreated at the conclusion of the battle.

Attachments:

3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #53 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-09_July2-Little Round Top, And Beyond (C-Div)

Length of Play: 60 minutes

Command: Brigadier General Evander M. Law, commanding Hood's Division

Situation: The Devil's Den Federal position has been taken but the Wheatfield fight goes on. Your units involved in the Wheatfield will continue that fight, but you just received orders to also attack the Union position atop the ridge to your south, the smaller of the two round tops. Immediately you send out orders to your brigade commanders as to the new mission of your division. Within minutes the orders are responded to, as your ten regiments involved in the new attack merge to their target, the Little Round Top.

Mission: Secure and hold the Little Round Top.

Forces Available:
    Brigadier General Evander M. Law, commanding Hood's Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia under Lieutenant General James Longstreet

Law's Brigade, Colonel James L. Sheffield
    4th Alabama Regiment, Lt Colonel Laurence Scruggs
    15th Alabama Regiment, Colonel William Oates
    44th Alabama Regiment, Colonel William Perry
    47th Alabama Regiment, Lt Colonel Michael J. Bulger
    48th Alabama Regiment, Colonel James Sheffield

Benning's Brigade, Brigadier General Henry L Benning
    2nd Georgia Regiment, Lt Colonel William Harris
    17th Georgia Regiment, Colonel Wesley Hodges
    20th Georgia Regiment, Colonel John Jones

Attached units from Robertson's Brigade:
    4th Texas Regiment, Colonel John Key
    5th Texas Regiment, Colonel Robert Powell

Division strength: 3387 troops and officers

This scenario is designed on the alternate history premise that General Law directs a large portion of his division to attack the Little Round Top. This attack, occurring once Devil's Den is secure, consists of the 10 regiments of the division that were not engaged in the Wheatfield fight. To strive for historic credibility, all of these regiments have had their troop numbers reduced reflecting attrition according to their engagements up to this point in this day's battle. The largest reduction is with Benning's three regiments, 30 per cent casualties suffered while taking the Devil's Den position.

With this large force, taking the LRT is relatively easy, holding it is another matter. After exiting Vincent's brigade, you'll face Weed's brigade, followed by Burbank and Day, the 'US Regulars' brigades, then three batteries of Martin's artillery division, and finally, McCandless's brigade (a total of 7391 troops). At this point, with about 10 minutes left in the scenario, your division will be overwhelmed. By my testing, maintaining the LRT objective to the end is impossible! So, this scenario includes a 'Retreat Alternative' ending. Once you score 5100 points a *'scout message' will warn you of impending doom, and your option to retreat before it's too late.
    *Save your game upon receiving this message. Retreating and salvaging your score can be hazardous, you may need several tries.

This scenario explores possible strategic advantages a CSA secured LRT would have provided during this phase of the battle. While it does give a good idea of how long the LRT could have been held, it doesn't include the CSA progress in securing the Wheatfield, so those forces, and Wofford's brigade moving in from the west, could move to Cemetery Ridge and support the LRT fight. A big 'what if' then, of whether the ridge could have been secured, only to face Sedgwick's corps, just arriving from the east. Anyway, exploring possibilities creates scenarios, and this is the most recent manifestation.

With this MV, I went about another minute beyond the "impending doom" message before my objective points shut down. Then, I immediately got the 'Hell outta Dodge', and salvaged the score as posted. And, just as previously acknowledged, it was about 10 minutes before End Scenario.

***Biographical Information***

Evander McIver Law

At Gettysburg...
    ...Law's brigade fought in the unsuccessful assault on the Union left on July 2, 1863, on Little Round Top and the Devil's Den. He assumed temporary division command after John Bell Hood was wounded. Some historians have criticized Law for the lack of coordination that existed in Hood's division while he served as a temporary commander. Gettysburg historian Harry W. Pfanz suggested that Law's "control of the division as a whole that afternoon was not very active and strong." He did not appoint his own successor at brigade command until after the fighting was over for the day, leaving his regiments without direction. None of Hood's other brigade commanders reported receiving any commands from Law during the battle.

On July 3, Law's men were at the extreme right of the Confederate line and defended against a suicidal cavalry attack made by Union troops of Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick's division, led by their brigade commander Brig. Gen. Elon J. Farnsworth.

Law did not write an official report on the battle. Years later, he published his own account of the fighting on July 2, "The Struggle For 'Round Top'", in Battles and Leaders of the Civil War.

Attachments:
    Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by RebBugler.

3 months 1 week ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #54 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Update version 1.35 April 28, 2020
    - Addition of scenario GB2-07
    - Adjusted artillery line formations for wider spacing between guns. This addresses issues of guns merging together.
    - Eliminated the ‘End Screens’ graphics of scenarios 11-23 to reduce this mod’s bulk for attachment purposes.
    - Make sure to download and install the latest update of 'True Ground' - Devil's Den Map - "The Big Picture" , Version 1.9 Update - April 2, 2020. It includes the ‘End Screens’ graphics of scenarios 11-23. Without this update, any scenarios listed above that are played will crash the game upon End Game.

Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by RebBugler.

3 months 1 week ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #55 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-07_July2-Devil's Den, Hell's Ground (U-Brig)

Length of Play: 40 minutes

Command: Brigadier General John H. Ward's Second Brigade

Situation: As Captain Smith's three guns hammer away at the approaching Rebel forces, you watch as your '2nd US sharpshooters' picket lines are forced back to the base of the Big Round Top, and then disappear into its dense wood line. The enemy is now to your south, and by the approaching sounds of battle, also due west. Despite the growing threats, you have confidence in your defensive position. A strong position by any account, you have elevation, boulders for cover, and woods to the west to slow and hamper enemy movements. But ultimately only one question prevails - Will this be our victory ground, or become our Devil's Den from Hell?

Mission: Defend and hold Devil's Den

Forces Available:
    Brigadier General John H. Ward, commanding the Second Brigade, Major General David B Birney, First Division, III Corps, Army of the Potomac, under Major General Daniel E Sickles

20th Indiana Regiment, Colonel John Wheeler
    4th Maine Regiment, Colonel Elijah Walker
    86th New York Regiment, Lt. Colonel Benjamin Higgins
    124th New York Regiment, Colonel Augustus Ellis
    99th Pennsylvania Regiment, Major John Moore
    2nd U.S. Sharpshooters, Major Homer Stoughton
    Attached from:
    Third Brigade, Colonel Phillippe de Trobriand
    40th New York Regiment, Colonel Thomas Egan
    Attached from:
    Third Brigade/Second Division, Colonel George C Burling
    6th New Jersey Regiment, Colonel Gershom Mott

4th Battery - New York Artillery, Captain James E Smith

Brigade strength: 2398 troops and officers, 6 Guns

Historically based, this scenario also throws in some alternate history options by expanding the roles of the 6th New Jersey and 40th New York regiments. If the player prefers to emulate the historical version, they can leave the 6th NJ idle and only commit the 40th NY to 10 minutes or so of engagement time, then withdraw the 40th from the field of battle. Otherwise, go for a Major Victory and use the heck outta'em. Because, they were available historically to defend that ground, just not called up to provide any significant support.

Warning: Spoiler!

One second left...
    Note the new attack coming from the upper left. So, major victory or not, Devil's Den would still have had to be evacuated once the Rebel attack of the Little Round Top was called off, as those southern troops converged upon Devil's Den from the east.

Guaranteed replay value, had to get acquainted with this scenario a lot before finally nailing it with this rewarding outcome...

John Henry Hobart Ward

At Gettysburg
    During the Gettysburg Campaign, Brigadier General Ward's brigade was assigned on July 2 by Maj. Gen. Daniel Sickles to hold a large area from the Wheatfield Road to Devil's Den. Stretched thin with little reserves, Ward's brigade nevertheless held their ground stubbornly. Regiments were moved to threatened points of the line, especially the left flank. Finally it was driven back by determined Confederate attacks. Ward became temporary commander of the division when Birney assumed corps command following the wounding of General Sickles. Col. Hiram Berdan took command of Ward's brigade. Ward lost 781 officers and men out of 2,188 present, a loss of 35.7%. Ward suffered a wound on July 2 but did not relinquish command.

Attachments:

3 months 1 week ago #56 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• GB_08 - Devil's Den.

Blimey, this was a close run thing! I needed to shift a lot of regiments in a hurry.
    Attachments:

3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #57 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Jolly wrote: GB_08 - Devil's Den.

Blimey, this was a close run thing! I needed to shift a lot of regiments in a hurry.

Those close ones are the best, guaranteed to get your adrenaline flowing. Congrats on your Major Victory!

Certainly appreciate this post, this thread has been lonely lately, along with the forum in general. I enjoy recreating history and its 'what ifs' with these scenarios, but without feedback what's the point in sharing. Self indulgence only goes so far, gotta share and hopefully provide entertainment, along with a history lesson.:)

Last edit: 3 months 6 days ago by RebBugler.

3 months 5 days ago #58 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• It is a pity not more people are posting, myself included. For me I find it really difficult to negotiate since the site rebuild - I'm not critising in any way, it's no easy thing to rebuild a site, you have done so well to get it up and running again. The game might fade away completely if not for this. It still has so much potential even now, as the recent 'True Ground' work has proven!

David(jolly)

3 months 4 days ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #59 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• GB2-06_July2-The Expugnation of Devil's Den (C-Brig)

Length of Play: 40 minutes

Command: Brigadier General Henry L. Benning, commanding Benning's Brigade

Situation: Before you lies the ominous Federal position at Devil's Den, a rocky ridge strewn with and characterized by a wall of massive boulders. Up to this point your brigade has boldly advanced amid cannon and long range musket fire. But now, the real fight must begin...The attack and expugnation of the enemy from Devil's Den.

Mission: Secure Devil's Den then screen and support your friendly troops withdrawing from the Little Round Top fight.

Gameplay: Secure the Devil's Den objective as soon as possible, for enemy reinforcements are constantly en route. After you reach a score of 2000 you will be advised via a Scout message of a new objective. Secure this objective with ME and as many troops as you can spare while still maintaining control of the Devil's Den objective. Friendly troops will help hold the new objective as the Federal troops along the Little Round Top attack this position. The events happening around this second objective depict the end of the LRT fight when Chamberlain's 20th Maine leads the famous charge from the LRT against the retreating southern troops.

Forces Available:
    Brigadier General Henry L. Benning, commanding Benning's Brigade, Hood's Division, I Corps, Army of Northern Virginia under Lieutenant General James Longstreet

Benning's Brigade, Brigadier General Henry L. Benning
    2nd Georgia Regiment, Lt Colonel William Harris
    17th Georgia Regiment, Colonel Wesley Hodges
    20th Georgia Regiment, Colonel John Jones
    15th Georgia Regiment, Colonel Dudley Du Bose

Attached units from Robertson's Brigade:
    3rd Arkansas Regiment, Colonel Van Manning
    1st Texas Regiment, Colonel Philip Work

Brigade strength: 2327 troops and officers

In my quest for an appropriate title for this scenario, I looked up expunged, and found an even better word for this episode in history:

expugnation in British English
    - noun
    - obsolete
    ...the act of storming or taking by force

Although labeled as obsolete and expunged from modern dictionaries for lack of usage, 'expugnation' was in usage during the ACW era, and appropriately is granted a reboot with this SOW production.

Warning: Spoiler!

One second left...After securing Devil's Den, the fight continues at the 'Confederate Rally Area'

Initially a MV was set at 3000 but that score tested out as too easy and better suited 'difficulty wise' for a 30 minute scenario with only one objective. After more testing and tweaking stuff this final version evolved...And sated criteria for an entertaining, and competitive, historic battle.

Gettysburg Day 2
    Benning’s brigade was part of John B. Hood’s division, which occupied the far right of the rebel line on the second day of the battle, 2 July. Although in the second echelon of the attack against Cemetery Ridge, Benning’s brigade decisively engaged Union forces around Houck’s Ridge and Devil’s Den. In the heavy fighting in and around Houck’s Ridge, two regiments of Benning’s troops reinforced Brigadier General Jerome Robertson’s Texas Brigade, which was under heavy artillery and sharpshooter fire from Little Round Top, while his other two regiments fought a ferocious battle in the boulder-strewn vicinity of Devil’s Den, assisting the left-most regiment of Alabamians from Brigadier General Evander Law’s brigade. The attack on Houck’s Ridge resulted in the capture of three Union artillery pieces and at least 100 prisoners — the combined efforts of both Robertson’s and Benning’s brigades, although the Texan’s received the credit. Benning’s losses were heavy on 2 July — reportedly around 400.

Attachments:

3 months 1 day ago #60 by Jolly

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• GB2-09

OUCH!
    I got bitten hard by this one. I found it not so easy to take the little round top in the firsat place, due the Union defensive postition, so I never reached the score that triggers the next phase. Instead, when I DID manage to occupy the Little Round Tops, I was set upon by huge Union forces, although I ALMOST managed to hang in there for a draw!

David(jolly)
    Attachments:

Moderators: ShirkonChamberlainFlanyboy