Users
Articles
Articles View Hits

First Impressions

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #1 by NY Cavalry

• Thank you received: 115

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • First Impressions was created by NY Cavalry
    Everything looks good. I only really understand American Civil War tactics so I cannot comment with any authority on how the Napoleonics is playing out, but from what I am expecting it is looking good. It took me two games to figure out the new controls. Now I think I can dive right in.

So, as soon as we can get a mod to re-simplify the command keys it will be looking pretty good. I am not a fan of the new system. And the command options that pop up when a right click is done has to go. I find myself having to hit 2 or 3 keys when with SOW I only click once.

All the best, I'm sure this will be a big success.

Now on to some MP................

And you will need a 3 button mouse to properly navigate the map or it is very cumbersome with a two button mouse. You have to hold the ctl button down or use the keys which I am out of the habit of doing.
    Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by NY Cavalry.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, RebBugler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 10 months ago #2 by ColBlimp

• Thank you received: 6

• Replied by ColBlimp on topic Re: First Impressions

And the command options that pop up when a right click is done has to go.

Options Page 1
    Disable Context Menu
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, NY Cavalry

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #3 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

• Thank you received: 2025

• Birthdate: 07 Feb 1948
  • Replied by RebBugler on topic Re: First Impressions

Options Page 1
    Disable Context Menu

In addition, once you disable the context menu I suggest you enable the Grog Toolbar located in Modifications. It contains all the context menu functions plus MANY more commands. Please read the Info on the right side of the Modifications screen for heading off known issues: select then Resign then restart, etc.

Expanded Toolbar - Grog Waterloo
    Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios and more...
    Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by RebBugler.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RDBoles, NY Cavalry, Willard

5 years 10 months ago #4 by Willard

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 63

• Replied by Willard on topic Re: First Impressions

Options Page 1
    Disable Context Menu

In addition, once you disable the context menu I suggest you enable the Grog Toolbar located in Modifications. It contains all the context menu functions plus MANY more commands. Please read the Info on the right side of the Modifications screen for heading off known issues: select then Resign then restart, etc.

I just did that and much prefer those command options. I can see that new players will like the new command options. Just hard after all these years to learn new tricks!

NYCav and I played a short MP game. Game loaded on the first try and was really quick with the load compared to Gettysburg. No MP problems or lag so very pleased with that so far!

Looking real good and will get you more feedback as I continue to play.

Great job!
    The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, RebBugler

5 years 10 months ago #5 by con20or

• Thank you received: 465

• Replied by con20or on topic Re: First Impressions
    Glad to hear MP is working ok.

Don't give up on the new controls too soon. We had a steep learning curve at first too, but once we finally started to settle on a working system it was clear most of us wouldn't be going back.

5 years 10 months ago #6 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

Although I ALWAYS opt to use the Grog toolbar (what can I say, it's my baby :) ), I also use it with the context menus on. The destination menu is extremely useful especially since you can stack (right click) commands up (queued up) and execute them all at once via the queue (pronounced 'cue') function. I must admit though, the other menus tend to just get in the way, but that's no prob because you simply don't right click on the selected unit and you'll never see them.

5 years 10 months ago #7 by oho

• Thank you received: 3

• Replied by oho on topic Re: First Impressions
    I'm very disappointed! I asked if the column in division is used by the AI and you said it's the default attack formation. I played for 2 hours now sandbox and waterloo scenarios and i only twice saw somthinh like column of division by the AI, once when a melee occured, and once it was a march by english guards.
    Everything else was line (90 %) formation and marching formation with a chaos of crossing lines, wheeling battalions overlapping. There isn't even an indication of column in division in the normal toolbar.
    The battlefields in napoleon ages use much fewer line than (different) columns when moving over the battlefield. This I miss totally.

5 years 10 months ago #8 by RDBoles

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 117

• Birthdate: 04 Aug 1948
  • Replied by RDBoles on topic Re: First Impressions
    Played a sandbox game. At first things were very slow, I captured the objective with no opposition in sight. And then they came on two fronts. No problem, a little swivel, all was going well. Then from the rear, a brigade with a battery showed up. Everything worked out on the computer, no lag, excellent graphics, colors of uniforms are outstanding, The little towns cool. Any way peeled off a brigade from both right and left and dropped back a battery and destroyed the rear brigade they sent in. I'm going to try the Grog tool box next. I was into the game ten minutes before I figured out the middle wheel on my mouse can rotate the screen. If I don't get close to the designated spot to move my troops, it is hard to determine the direction of the green arrow. Maybe I'm not doing it right yet. No offence, but looks like I will be ignoring SOW-Gettysburg for awhile. This Waterloo game is better than I ever anticipated. BZ26V

Move Forward
    The following user(s) said Thank You: tim, con20or

5 years 10 months ago #9 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

About the direction arrow, yeah, it bugged me at first but now I LOVE it. Don't try to click on it and turn it, that's maddening. Right click your destination then sweep (while holding the right button down) to the direction you want it to point, works every time for me once I got the hang of it. Of course, takes a little practice and you need some camera elevation, but not much.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RDBoles

5 years 10 months ago #10 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • Replied by Saddletank on topic Re: First Impressions

takes a little practice and you need some camera elevation, but not much.

What about when you don't have any camera elevation? For example if your HITS distance is set to 2 yards? The sweep arrow needs a set of turn buttons backing it up in the context menu.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #11 by Jubal Early

• Thank you received: 22

• Replied by Jubal Early on topic Re: First Impressions
    I absolutely love it im very pleased, well done everyone involved :) A special thanks to Reb Bugler for the Grog Toolbar its great made things much easier.
    Im getting much better performance than I ever did in Gettysburg probably twice the fps.

One thing id love to see would be a mini Waterloo oob perhaps 20,000-30,000 per side based roughly on the real oob so that full armies could be used. I find I end up with just Cavalry or Artillery at times in sandbox. I know it wouldn't be historically accurate but would be great for sandbox play.
    Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Jubal Early.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, con20or

5 years 10 months ago #12 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

What about when you don't have any camera elevation? For example if your HITS distance is set to 2 yards? The sweep arrow needs a set of turn buttons backing it up in the context menu.

Wheel buttons Sir, the slow but reliable GB way...plenty available on the Grog toolbar, made sure of that. If you have a disdain for toolbars, then program them on the keyboard.csv file.

5 years 10 months ago #13 by NY Cavalry

• Thank you received: 115

• Replied by NY Cavalry on topic Re: First Impressions
    We ran a 6 person MP loaded fast and ran very well. It played very stable with no drops or an other problems. It was a pretty good fight also.

RedBugler, your mod is essential. The early opinion of the new controls is very poor. Keep at it.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler

5 years 10 months ago #14 by norb-1

• Banned
  • Banned
  • There is a time for everything

• Thank you received: 560

• Birthdate: 30 Nov 1968
  • Replied by norb-1 on topic Re: First Impressions
    We made the default interface for the newer players. Which allowed Reb to go hog wild with whatever he thought you guys would want in the grog toolbar. We were very afraid that we would not be able to ship it. But we actually had a few weeks in the end where we were able to make the gui moddable. Reb was all ready to go, so there you have it. Separating the guis ended up being a good idea. Since the experienced players are more familiar with modding, it made sense to put the grog in the mod and allow out of the box for newbies.

NSD Programmer/Producer
    "Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamaliel 40 A.D.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RebBugler, Hook

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #15 by Pom

• Thank you received: 126

• Replied by Pom on topic Re: First Impressions
    Quick go with the tutorial,then straight into the full battle as the allies.

It runs great,even at the later stages(I've got to 1600hrs in game),the game looks superb,and the improvements you have made to the AI are obvious and give the game a "grand" feeling.

I left the game running to itself for a little over an hour,came back and found my generals had carried on holding our line,Houg't was holding out despite another attack,the centre was looking a little weak,but I sorted that. I'm a lazy general so it's good the AI can get on with the battle without me.

I'm another one of those who's unsure of the new interface,but that aside,thanks for for a great game.
    Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Pom.

5 years 10 months ago #16 by Trilogy

• Replied by Trilogy on topic Re: First Impressions
    I have a problem with the Grog Toolbar. One block of the commands sits in the middle of the screen, right in front of the action. There's a blank brown-wood space down on the bottom bar where these commands are probably supposed to be, but they're up near the middle of the screen instead.

I'm using Win 8.1 (Win7 compatibility set) at 1920 x 1080 with standard 96 dpi.

5 years 10 months ago #17 by RebBugler

• NSD Designer
  • NSD Designer

Please read the info on the right side of the Modifications screen when you select the NAME, not just the box.

5 years 10 months ago #18 by KG_Soldier

• Thank you received: 209

• Replied by KG_Soldier on topic Re: First Impressions
    Impressive speed.

Reb's toolbar is essential for us old guys.

Lots to learn.

Looking forward to big MP games.

Thanks to the team for all your hard work.

Of course it's not perfect. But it's easy to see it's going to be a fine game, a very fine game.

5 years 10 months ago #19 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • Replied by Saddletank on topic Re: First Impressions

Wheel buttons Sir, the slow but reliable GB way...plenty available on the Grog toolbar, made sure of that. If you have a disdain for toolbars, then program them on the keyboard.csv file.

The Grog toolbar produces very small buttons as another post of mine mentioned elsewhere. Their small size makes the toolbar awkward to use at high screen resolutions.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

5 years 10 months ago #20 by con20or

I absolutely love it im very pleased, well done everyone involved :) A special thanks to Reb Bugler for the Grog Toolbar its great made things much easier.
    Im getting much better performance than I ever did in Gettysburg probably twice the fps.

One thing id love to see would be a mini Waterloo oob perhaps 20,000-30,000 per side based roughly on the real oob so that full armies could be used. I find I end up with just Cavalry or Artillery at times in sandbox. I know it wouldn't be historically accurate but would be great for sandbox play.

You should be able to get the full armies in sandbox with the current OOBs. If you pick Wellington you should get Wellington and Blucher. If you activate the 'Full French' mod in the mods menu you can then pick Napoleon and get all three armies on the map. But that is nearly 300k+ troops...

5 years 10 months ago #21 by MacDonald

• Thank you received: 6

• Replied by MacDonald on topic Re: First Impressions
    As a long term player of all Scourge of War games my first impressions of Waterloo are pretty good. Credit has to go to the developers for shipping it in a very stable form, a depressingly rare feat in the gaming industry these days.

I do like the new pop up box that appears next to a unit when you are giving it commands, although it does take a little to get used to. I can see that after using this mechanism it would be hard to go back to the older system. However, the brown bar on the bottom of the screen isn't so great, I find the different icons all very similar and not immediately clear what they represent, I don't feel like it's easy to read in the heat of battle.

The compose order screen is also a big improvement and a lot clearer than it was before.

The new sprites for the regiments look great, particularly the variation in uniforms. I also like the way regiments and arty line up neatly now in line.

One complaint is that I feel like the maps looks comparatively bland compared with ACW maps. I know however that is the reality of the Waterloo battlefield, lots of empty, wide open green spaces.

I think the game needs some minor improvements, but all in all I'd say you guys have done an amazing job.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: con20or

5 years 10 months ago #22 by con20or

The UI and toolbars will be easily modded - even I am looking forward to seeing what people come up with :)

5 years 10 months ago #23 by Xreos1

• Thank you received: 24

• Replied by Xreos1 on topic Re: First Impressions
    It is a pleasure to see a game released on time and with so few problems.

Good job!

When my complaints list is this small on day one you can take bow.

Check High Scores CTD

Grog toolbar not yet optimized for other resolutions (I KNOW this will be fixed)( My native resolution is 1600x900 hint hint)

Still on a learning curve with the new destination fly out; 2 problems, icon size (see above ) and the light green arrow is a bit difficult to easily see for my 'senior' eyes. ( i.e. I'm an old fart )

5 years 10 months ago #24 by con20or

Thanks XREOS:)

It seems the high scores CTD might be linked to the grog toolbar.

Persevere with the new UI - it is worth it. We went through numerous evolutions of the destination arrow - we even had a red/blue/white fleur-de-lis but the green arrow is what most team members liked best. To be honest i don;t know if that is moddable or hardcoded.

Glad you like the game.

5 years 10 months ago #25 by Trilogy

• Replied by Trilogy on topic Re: First Impressions

Please read the info on the right side of the Modifications screen when you select the NAME, not just the box.

Oops. Sorry. I didn't scroll down far enough.

5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #26 by IronBMike

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 37

• Replied by IronBMike on topic Re: First Impressions
    Y'all did an awesome job! I did one sandbox campaign and a few battles. The game looks great and seems to play well. I just need to get a handle on cavalry and charging the correct target. Any tips on this?

I also hope that the sandbox campaign is greatly expanded, i.e. add in supply lines and a way to march to any road location, not just towns, and it will be greatly improved! Also the ability to give subordinates orders (all out attack, attack, defend, hold to the last, probe, screen, etc) on the campaign map.

IMO the campaign map is really a huge new feature to the gaming world and will be the future.

Campaigns on the Danube is an excellent game model for this.

CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
    Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by IronBMike.

5 years 10 months ago #27 by con20or

I just need to get a handle on cavalry and charging the correct target.

From what I remember they just go for the closest, so get your cav unit flag close to the desired target unit before hitting charge. Or just charge through everyone in your way :evil:

5 years 10 months ago #28 by IronBMike

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 37

• Replied by IronBMike on topic Re: First Impressions

From what I remember they just go for the closest, so get your cav unit flag close to the desired target unit before hitting charge. Or just charge through everyone in your way :evil:

Yeah it's just that sometimes with lots of units around, targets switch constantly and it's difficult to line up the correct one. Any way to get manual targeting like WNLB had?

CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW

5 years 10 months ago #29 by mike1984

• Thank you received: 45

• Replied by mike1984 on topic Re: First Impressions
    So when's the CW mod going to be ready? ;)

Seriously though, this game has exceeded expectations. Thank you to everyone on the team.

5 years 10 months ago #30 by con20or

Yeah it's just that sometimes with lots of units around, targets switch constantly and it's difficult to line up the correct one. Any way to get manual targeting like WNLB had?

WNLB?

Moderators: RebBuglergunship24Leffe7Sargonpaul9038