Articles
Articles View Hits

Waterloo protest

5 years 11 months ago #1 by chijohnaok

• Thank you received: 4

• Birthdate: Unknown
  • Waterloo protest was created by chijohnaok

French try to block Battle of Waterloo coin

France wants to block plans for a €2 coin to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the historic battle fought by the Duke of Wellington against Napoleon Bonaparte in 1815 because it would be a “symbol that is negative”.

The French government is attempting to block a coin commemorating the Battle of Waterloo, claiming it is a “symbol that is negative” and would undermine the unity of the eurozone.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11462782/French-try-to-block-Battle-of-Waterloo-coin.html

Is there any concern among the game developers that France might want to block the SOW-Waterloo game because it might be a "symbol that is negative"?

;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #2 by con20or

• Thank you received: 465

• Replied by con20or on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    Nope. All 60 million of them can buy it and try to win :)
    Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by con20or.

5 years 11 months ago #3 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • Replied by Saddletank on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    LOL, there's only one nation that likes to moan and b*tch at stuff more than us English, and that's the French. Waterloo was only a "negative event" for Napoleon and later Marechal Ney, for every other French person it was just a small wave on the rolling ocean of time's flow called history. It was neither good nor bad, it was just change, the end of one era, the start of another.

For people living 200 years later to be offended by a reminder of a defeat suffered long ago by men long dead is silly. Looking at it from a wider European context, Napoleon's downfall was a huge bonus which brought more than 20 years of death, suffering and economic ruin to the majority of Europeans to a close. They were now at liberty to go have arguments and wars elsewhere over other matters ;)

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #4 by con20or

• Thank you received: 465

• Replied by con20or on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    And considering it is a €2 coin, it isn't even going to be used in Britain. So who's idea was it - edit ah, Belgium.
    Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by con20or.

5 years 11 months ago #5 by redcoat

• Regimental Commander
  • Regimental Commander

• Thank you received: 57

• Replied by redcoat on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    i for one am still upset that the romans invaded britain. i want pasta and chianti banned immediatly!
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RDBoles

5 years 11 months ago #6 by AP514

• Thank you received: 9

• Replied by AP514 on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    the French are mad because it was the last time they had an ARMY that could actually win.....:P

5 years 11 months ago #7 by Flanyboy

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team

• Thank you received: 134

• Replied by Flanyboy on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    The EU could easily sell the 7th Coalition as a unifying moment for Europe. It was the first time Europe came together to overthrow the rule of a single man who they believed was a tyrant. After all the 100 days were a war that was declared on one man, they never declared war on France, just Napoleon. That's not my take, but it's certainly a way they could sell it. You could argue since the 7th coalition included the French Kingdom it was the first time Europe united under one banner for a common purpose with the goal of establishing a peaceful Europe.

Saddletank wrote: LOL, there's only one nation that likes to moan and b*tch at stuff more than us English, and that's the French. Waterloo was only a "negative event" for Napoleon and later Marechal Ney, for every other French person it was just a small wave on the rolling ocean of time's flow called history. It was neither good nor bad, it was just change, the end of one era, the start of another.

For people living 200 years later to be offended by a reminder of a defeat suffered long ago by men long dead is silly. Looking at it from a wider European context, Napoleon's downfall was a huge bonus which brought more than 20 years of death, suffering and economic ruin to the majority of Europeans to a close. They were now at liberty to go have arguments and wars elsewhere over other matters ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Saddletank

5 years 11 months ago #8 by Saddletank

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 587

• Birthdate: 06 Sep 1959
  • Replied by Saddletank on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    That's a good point. AND he wasn't French. Now if you spell 'Napoleon' p-u-t-i-n the point is clearer (but I won't since these discussions go in the OT forum).

BTW are there any pictures of the proposed 2E coin? NSD could use one as a flash screen.

HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #9 by SiliconMagician

• Thank you received: 79

• "You could argue since the 7th coalition included the French Kingdom it was the first time Europe united under one banner for a common purpose with the goal of establishing a peaceful Europe."

That's rather.. idealistic I think. More like "under one banner for a common purpose with the goal being the reestablishment of their monarchies".. peaceful Europe? Later events proved that wasn't at all true or even desirable among Napoleon's enemies. He just grew too big for the rest of them to stand. Some Corsican midget going around deposing kings and such just couldn't be tolerated.
    Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by SiliconMagician.

5 years 11 months ago #10 by Flanyboy

• NSD QA Team
  • NSD QA Team

• Thank you received: 134

• Replied by Flanyboy on topic Re: Waterloo protest

SiliconMagician wrote: "You could argue since the 7th coalition included the French Kingdom it was the first time Europe united under one banner for a common purpose with the goal of establishing a peaceful Europe."

That's rather.. idealistic I think. More like "under one banner for a common purpose with the goal being the reestablishment of their monarchies".. peaceful Europe? Later events proved that wasn't at all true or even desirable among Napoleon's enemies. He just grew too big for the rest of them to stand. Some Corsican midget going around deposing kings and such just couldn't be tolerated.

Yes I'm aware of that. I'm just saying it could be argued that way. I fully understand its not entirely realistic.

5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #11 by Destraex

• Thank you received: 12

• Replied by Destraex on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    War is generally negative for everybody.
    The only celebration in the survival or sacrifice of the unfortunate soldiers and civilians who had to participate.
    Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Destraex.

5 years 11 months ago #12 by tim

• NSD Artist
  • NSD Artist

• Thank you received: 149

• Birthdate: 31 Mar 1966
  • Replied by tim on topic Re: Waterloo protest
    I thought the French did see Waterloo as a defining moment. Certainly Victor Hugo did - or did I miss read that?
    But harsh to say it last the last time they had an army that could win albeit was a joke but don't forget WW1.

Moderators: RebBuglergunship24Leffe7Sargonpaul9038